• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Code for creating a patch

Years
  • I'm preparing to make a program for patching. Can anyone tell me how to apply or create patch using C#?
    I'll be grateful.

Years
  • The best question to ask is if you're going to be making your own patch format, or are you using an existing patch type (Such as IPS or UPS)? If you're using an existing one, you may be able to find a library for it that will provide instructions on how to incorporate them into your own programs.

The most simple format would be to seek to an offset in the file using a StreamWriter (Or StreamReader if creating a patch) and write a byte value to that position. You'd have to have a way to store addresses and the new bytes that they represent as well so that it can be shared with multiple users.

Thanks for answering. I'll be using existing formats (may try to experiment making my own sometime). I would be grateful if you can link me to a library. I would also like to know how can I implement my own format if I want to. Thanks again.

Back