• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Patch: Mini Text-Box [FR] with patch

Years
  • Mini Text-Box [FR] with patch
    Mini Text-Box [FR] with patch

Like the small textbox above the real textbox indicating the name of the person saying it? (Gosh, that was a long sentence)

Well... it can now be done in GBA! (Though only in FireRed)
    Mini Text-Box [FR] with patch

Ruki made a tutorial about it in whack-a-hack foro. It is a simple yet effective method of inserting the mini textbox.
    I made a patch for it so it will be easy for you guys to use it. Hope you like it! :D

The patch is inserted in the offset 0xFB0000, making sure that it is compatible with most Roms.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/x0q24zwh77fnw6j/Mini+Text-Box.ips/file

How to use:

Here's a sample script:

#dynamic 0x800000
    #org @start
    lock
    faceplayer
    loadpointer 0x0 @name
    setvar 0x8000 0x1
    setvar 0x8001 0xB
    setvar 0x8002 0x8
    setvar 0x8003 0x2
    callasm 0x8FB0001
    msgbox @talk1 0x6
    callasm 0x8FB0101
    release
    end

#org @name
    = Young Man

#org @talk1
    = Look at the mini text-box above!

Note: Let the vars be as they are. The first callasm offset is the offset where the opening routine was inserted and the second one is where the closing routine was inserted.

Also, please notice that the frame of the mini text-box will be the same as the frame design as you chose in the 'Option' setting in start menu.

Original tutorial(Be sure to credit him if you're using it :D):
    https://whackahack.com/foro/threads/fr-mini-caja-de-texto-secundaria.45059/

Last edited:

Dr. Seuss

Will finish GS Chronicles, I swear!
    Years
  • Thanks for sharing my tutorial. But I think people should mostly credit eMMe97 for writing the routine. I just adapted his routine to make it took like a namebox.

ScripNewbie

Mystc Creator
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2023
    If i use setvar in one script can i use it again in another script.. Because i already use setvar 8001 in my hack...tnx for response in advance

Years
  • You can. However, if you want to use the same command in one script, no need to repeat the entire process. For example, you can ignore the vars since they're already set and write:
    loadpointer 0x0 @name
    callasm 0xFB0001
    msgbox @msg 0x6
    callasm 0xFB0101
    instead of repeating the entire process.

Years
  • There's a bug..whenever I compile a script just to check if it work..yeah its working how I want, but there is a clutch, if you compile your level script because of the possibility of raw 0xffff the mini text box corrupt..it will no longer show the box and just show a circle and the game will just crash..and even if I create a new one the script is always the same when you compile it..it's good and well working just that problem it annoys me..I mean I can fix it but how about the other who just started and no idea about hex, just reporting about a bug or whatever that called..thanks for the tools btw :)

Years
  • I found a way to fix it without using hex editor...and its so easy...just patch it again if it broke..
    Easy Thanks for the patch dark gyrados..and to eMMe97
    dr.seus for adapting it sharing the hack..
    i'll be sure to credits in my upcoming hack :)

Years
    • they / them
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Big necropost, but I just want to post about this as an update for anyone who might try to use this patch now - there seems to be a substantial issue with the code here where, if too many nameboxes are opened without switching maps or opening a menu like the bag or the Pokedex that clears the screen, eventually an issue happens where the Start Menu or other pop-up window graphics like multichoice boxes stop rendering. I'm guessing the name boxes don't properly clear out of the memory and start gunking things up. It usually results in a reset to the title screen. Even opening up just one mini textbox seems to be enough to cause this problem eventually.

This is not just a problem with this particular patch - I've manually implemented the ASM script listed in the original Whackahack post linked in the OP, and I've found the same problem. I am using CFRU, but I've tested this on an otherwise completely vanilla ROM and found the same issue. The problem likely lies in the second part of the script, which is related to the box closing - but I don't know enough about ASM to diagnose it.

If anyone happens to know more, I'd really appreciate it - nameboxes are REALLY important to the flow of the dialogue I have in my romhack, and I'd really like to use them.

Back