• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen GSVC Countdown Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
Years
  • "The scheduled release date for this purchased item has passed. Launch this software while connected to the internet to check distribution information."

"Thank you for your pre-purchase. Now, please wait for this product to be released."

This is not the kind of game I want to be playing, Nintendo.

Same here. Maybe because it's already released in Japan and some parts of Europe and I think Australia, too?

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    I might get one of them in a few weeks though, assuming no one has lost interest in it by then. @__@ I remember when interest wore off pretty quickly for RBY VC when that was released for some reason.

Meh, if all you need is for people to be around sharing their game experiences, I can make an effort to show up around here more often so that there's at least me lol. But no doubt there will be many more.
    I got Gold. I could just have picked up any old rom and started playing right away, but I wanted to try and kinda "relive" the forced wait for a new release. It generates hype and makes me more motivated to play it once it becomes available (and more likely to stick with it for longer, lol.)
    They may still release Crystal later on, but I think I may just stick with Gold regardless. As unpopular of an opinion as that may be, I really like the paired versions style with their own set of version-exclusives, where both games are the same and you just have to trade with the other to get everything. A third version just doesn't feel the same, because then everyone just gets said third game and the whole point of paired versions is kinda lost lol (and meh, Crystal doesn't have that much new stuff over Gold/Silver...)

I had zero interest in Gen. I VC. I don't even like Gen. I, and I didn't care about transferring Pokémon over to Gen. VII because I could already get all those Pokémon super easily from... literally every other Pokémon game ever, really (I don't do competitive battling; I don't care about the hidden abilities or exclusive moves either.)

Gen. II interests me here because it took everything that Gen. I had and improved upon it.
    The inventory doesn't suck; the box system is a lil bit easier to use; it has held items; it's in full color; it has game mechanics and balance fixes.
    You start in a new region, but you can still go to Kanto without having to buy Gen. I; it has all the same Pokémon, except with 100 more of them; shinies are an actual thing (instead of "oh, turns out this Pokémon had shiny DVs" by blindly transferring them over.)
    This time around, with shinies being an actual thing, any shinies I find in Gen. II can join the rest of my collection instead of remaining separate. Gen. I had nothing I'd be interested in transferring.

Gen. II aged really well. Sure, Gen. I is still good for what it is, and back when it was first released it was amazing; I just don't think it's really worth playing nowadays unless you were a fan of the series since the beginning and want to play through them again for nostalgia. I could recommend Gen. II VC for any newer player who may have started out with X/Y or Sun/Moon, because aside from being a 8-bit GBC game, it feels really similar to the newer games, while Gen. I may be more difficult to enjoy.

Spoiler:

I mean, I guess to be fair, Gen. I still has the starters, the fossil Pokémon, and Gen. I legendaries as exclusives, so just for that I'm still partially considering getting Red at some point just so I can send them over to Gold before abandoning Red... the other part of me just wants to say "screw it, I'll hack them in/get someone else to trade them to me."

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    This is one of those very rare times where I'm not getting these kinds of games on release, which is kind of a bummer because I'd love to play while the excitement is still fresh.

I might get one of them in a few weeks though, assuming no one has lost interest in it by then. @__@ I remember when interest wore off pretty quickly for RBY VC when that was released for some reason.

I think excitement is likely to wear off more quickly for these than for the newer games, but there should still be some interested people. Since there's no wifi, people don't have as much motivation to interact with people here about their play throughs as they would for newer games, and there is nothing new to discover because, well, these are old games. Couple that to the fact that the people who are most excited about these releases probably played them as kids, and are now adults with a lot of other responsibilities, and I could see how interest could drop quickly (or how people might opt to play and enjoy the games, but not post that much about them).

That said, there may be a surge of new buyers come the holidays, and I'm sure you could encourage some newer players who otherwise would overlook these releases to pick the games up if you posted on the newer game boards with some well-placed comments in your signature.

I'm personally really excited about these, and will be playing them for a while. I still play the RBY releases, though that has definitely died down a bit since release. My posting is a little more variable (depending on life and such), so I can't say whether I'll be here expressing my enthusiasm, but I can try, and I'm sure I won't be alone.

I'm definitely looking forward to having a new, relaxing, nostalgic game to play before bed to help me fall asleep. I'm sick of grinding in R/B, and I've been more reluctant to restart my save files than I expected to be, so G/S will be a nice change of pace. Plus, I find the older graphics easier on my eyes when I'm trying to get sleepy. Still, the timing of this G/S release is such that I have a feeling my restart-Sun-every-week-to-get-each-event-Pikachu plan may not pan out as well as I had hoped.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I have never wanted to play a game right at midnight as I do right now with this one. But I'll still probably wait until the morning. Come at Johto with fresh eyes.

Ammako

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    Doesn't it unlock at the same time region-wide regardless of time-zone?
    A.K.A. it would have been unlockable 53 minutes ago, no? (Or I guess 13 minutes ago at the time of your post. :p)

Last edited:

noa

sleeping cutie
    Years
  • It's 12pm EST. So 9am for West Coast people, 8/9 PM for Europeans, etc.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • Does anyone know how long before we can start our NA ones?
    I am in Singapore and our consoles etc. are all the NA versions, so I need the exact timing.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I'm almost at Azalea in my copy of Gold and experiencing the ultimate nostalgia. My earliest memory of playing Gold as a kid was on a rainy day and around Azalea. Currently raining and thunder here. SO happy! :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2019
    Does anyone know how long before we can start our NA ones?
    I am in Singapore and our consoles etc. are all the NA versions, so I need the exact timing.

According to the eShop, the games will be live Friday at noon EST. In Singapore, that should be Saturday at midnight. The wait is killing me, even though it is only 4 hours.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    A noon release in the United States is nonsense when the rest of the world got to play at midnight.

Ammako

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    Oh, yeah I thought this would become available at midnight like every other game preload I had heard of before. Oh well. My mistake!

Last edited:

noa

sleeping cutie
    Years
  • I'm soooooo freaking happy. I just cleared Violet City, now I'm just training up Chikorita and Mareep.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Okay now that the games are out it's time to close this thread up - feel free to make threads on any and all discussion topics you can think of!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back