• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen 10,000 Reasons Why

Years
  • 1. after playing yellow (and possibly blue?) the new stuff was incredible
    2. it broke my heart to see no -- *day/night,
    3. phone,
    4. radio,
    5. bug-catching contest* -- or barely any 2nd gen pokemon in gen 3.
    5. the music was the best. it gave me shivers from the time of g/s/c to hg/ss when I heard it (fire red...) and when hg/ss came out the music made my life complete
    6. I loved the apricorns. they are now, and will be forever, better than berries
    7. the two regions, combined with the nostalgia of seeing kanto again (but this time 3 years later! with changes and such), were very exciting
    8. the legendaries were fun to get
    9. the map layout...very cool and good
    10. free shiny gyarados! (though the color annoyed me after a while then ;))

Top Reason: the overall feeling of the game astounds me

(like someone else said, it'd be a good idea to put numbers on the first post, maybe 1-500 for now, and just have people add their ideas. it will, like was said, be annoying to flip through tons of pages to read up to number 10,000)

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2011
    1) At the time I was so excited about all the new Pokemon
    2) Kris was there
    3) Silver was mean and therefore a worthy rival. I never wanted to beat Brendan much as I wanted to beat Silver (never played DPP, so I don't know Barry).
    4) I felt cool having the champion of the Pokemon league help me fight Team Rocket
    5) The soundtrack (check out this song that was dropped from Crystal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91X0hinbE5o)
    6) I like this generation's legendaries the best.
    7) The Red Gyrados (sp?)
    8) Battling Misty, Brock, and Blue(though I saw him as Gary at the time) because I was an avid fan of the anime
    9) Traveling to Kanto
    10) Eggs and baby Pokemon

Last edited:

Daikenki

Water Trainer
    Years
  • Ooh I wanna try. :'D

Reasons~

1. Hatching Togepi! Getting an egg was so weird at first and when I realized after walking for a while it would make the egg hatch it just blew my eleven year old mind. I felt like a mother U8. Okay that's getting weird. But no it made me feel special and awesome because I hatched a pokemon and could train it from birth.

2. Bugsy. Lol I honestly thought this guy was a chick at first for the longest time. Did anyone think he was a guy? Game just isn't complete without gender confusion. :3

3. Ruins of Alph puzzles. It took me freaking forever to catch all of those unown and solve the puzzles and etc and blah, but darnit I did it.

4. The legends. Ahh, it had the most amazing backstory. The legends kept me entertained throughout the game. Too bad I was too afraid to catch the legendary pokemon or even fight them, hah.

5. Breeding. First game to introduce you forcing pokemon to make new ones! Poor ditto. :3c

6. Magnet Train. It blew my mind also! The fact that you could instantly go from one region to the next in less than 30 seconds was awesome.

7. Ampharos.~~

8. Rebattles. I loved the fact that some of the trainers would ask me to battle them again. Yay for more exp. :'D

9. Ho-oh. I'mma let you finish, but Ho-oh was the best legendary bird of all time.

10. Saving money. It taught me how to prioritize. I learned not to shell out tons of money on random things I didn't need, and I had a good mount of backup just in case I needed it. :3

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    1. <3 old school music
    2. Awesome pokemon (unlike the rubbish new ones)
    3. Its my childhood
    4. My totdile going thorugh puberty in azalea town (friend's joke :L)
    5. Beating team rocket again and again
    6. 16 gym leaders o.O WOooooooooooo!
    7. The bike music (which i rave too)
    8. the awesome legendarires
    9. The awesome Boy/Girl heroes
    10. ITS JUST AWESOME

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • 1. Of all my favorite pokémon, more are from the second generation than from all other three generations combined... multiplied by two. ^_^
    2. The music is incredible, though 3rd generation gives it a run for its money. Taking hardware into account, Gen II's music is probably better, though.
    3. The games don't require nearly as much grinding as any of the other games
    4. The inclusion of Kanto makes the gameplay last forever
    5. Dark- and Steel-types! Hell yeah!
    6. They were the first games that I played in the presence of other people. Before these games, Pokémon was always a secret of mine but it wasn't until G/S/C that I discovered that other people liked Pokémon too
    7. Day/Night System and Time-Based events
    8. Berries!!
    9. Similarly, the introduction of Held Items, a feature which has undeniably changed the face of both standard play and, even more so, the competitive metagame
    10. The nostalgia I feel when I hear Goldenrod's music or take a walk down Routes 38 & 39 is unmatched by any aspect of any other Pokémon– hell, any other video game I've ever played. Ever.

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
  • I really loved reading this thread, so I'd be happy to contribute as well. ^^

1. Because after playing through Red, Blue and Yellow dozens of times I was amazingly excited to be able to go to a new place and have a brand new journey.
    2. Because Cyndaquil is my favorite starter out of any of the Pokemon games. My Typhlosion never let me down, and it was the first Pokemon I ever got to level 100.
    3. Because it was an amazing region, with lots of places to go and new things to see. Every town had its own personality and a special feel all its own.
    4. Because the new Pokemon immediately felt like old friends. I didn't need time to get used to them, they just fit in perfectly with all the Pokemon I was already used to.
    5. Because day and night gave you good reasons to wake up early and stay up late.
    6. Because learning to breed and hatching babies with strange moves was just plain amazing and gave me new skills to work on and mechanics to understand.
    7. Because Psychics couldn't destroy every other type anymore.
    8. Because Silver is an awesome rival and actually gave you a good reason for wanting to beat him to a pulp.
    9. Because revisiting Kanto gave me a rush of nostalgia and excitement all at the same time.
    10. Because oh my goodness you can actually be a girl in Crystal? O_O

Hiyappu_Storm

Aqua Monkey Storm!
    Years
  • 1. Silver
    2. Red
    3. Typhlosion
    4. A new region
    5. Confusing old Kanto
    6. Dark type
    7. 16 gyms
    8. Old School Music
    9. No 600 steps to get Surf
    10. Needed grinding

Years
  • 1) Because it was new at that time.

2) It was the time when new Pokemon came out it was exciting and they all look pretty cool. Unlike the new Pokemon which they look pretty retarded.

3) It's better than R/B/Y

4) It's better than Ruby and Sapphire

5) Morning / Day / Night feature was pretty cool

6) Introduction of Breeding

7) 16 badges ... a lot of things to do

8) Kept us interested with the Shrine thing in the Ilex Forest

9) The train thing was pretty cool

10) Two different regions is always better than just 1

Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2010
    1. Pokemon Silver was my FIRST Pokemon game EVER!!!
    2. Because I found out that my favourite pokemon was Umbreon.
    3. Because I could make Pokeballs
    4. I felt super awesome after battling Red in the cave. (forgot name D:)
    5. Found my first shiny (Noctowl)
    6. Freakin' loved trying to catch the legendaries with a pokeball (except the legendary dogs)
    7. My mom was a bank
    8. I could heal at the Prof. lab
    9. I would call out the attack IRL just like in the TV show
    10. It holds some of my best childhood memories

Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2013
    1. Running into and catching Raikou for the first time without knowing what it was.

2. Lance being involved in the story.

3. The rival's theme song.

4. Being creeped out by the Ruins of Alph.

5. Breeding my starter so it's easier to trade.

6. The battle with Ho-oh.

7. Realizing you could explore ALL of Kanto.

8. The final battle on Mt. Silver.

9. Stopping Team Rocket's revival.

10. The new Viridian gym leader.

the :D

<- heracross ftw!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2012
    oh, boy. I loved my silver more than my own mother :D lol jk

1.) two regions in one

2.) the awesome music

3.) totodile/croconaw/feraligatr loved that guy soooo much :D

4.) mt. silver

5.) lugia and the dogs

6.) plotline made sense, more or less.

7.) formidable rival (though I never had any trouble...)

8.) the time system... I LOVED IT :D

9.) the nostalgia you feel when you get to kanto... "three years ago..." and stuff like that. and the fact that you battled yourself in the end (red).

10.) ...can't think of a tenth. short of time :P

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
  • 1) The Johto Region is amazing <3
    2) Suicune, Umbreon, Espeon, Entei, Typhlosion, Ampharos, and Tyranitar!!!!
    3) Silver was the best rival ever <3
    4) PkMn Crystal, playing as Crys!
    5) Ecruteak City's music <3
    6) Battling RED!!!
    7) Hatching baby Pokemon <3
    8) Revisiting Kanto <3
    9) KAREN!!!! Best E4 ever <3
    10) Blue as Viridian Gym Leader <3

Time Guardian

Requiem of the 13th Hour
    Years
  • 1 - Will <3<3<3
    2 - "Hey, I remember that" whenever going through Kanto during my first Silver playthrough.
    3 - Dispite short and easy, I like the little jigsaw puzzle in the Ruins of Alph.
    4 - Gen 2 introduced Houndoom, which easily became one of my favorites.
    5 - The box was very shiny, and the cartridges were both shiny and sparkly at the same time.
    6 - Speaking of Shiny, the introduction of Shiny pokemon, and finding a Shiny Abra in my Gold version. (or was it my silver? I don't remember at all)
    7 - Having to schedule myself times to play it so I could get some of the day/time specific events/pokemon.
    8 - Silver was the first game where I started nicknaming all of my pokemon.
    9 - The background music of the Radio Tower when Team Rocket took it over. <3 And also the Vs Lance Battle theme as well.
    10 - The fact that it continues off of Red/Blue/Yellow instead of being completely standalone. Which in turn makes you appreciate the game more if you've played Red/Blue/Yellow first.

tkallab

Should have been in Dissidia
    Years
  • 1) All kinds of Pokémon that weren't in the Animé yet made me feel like I was really informed.
    2) All my Totodile babies knew four HMs when they came out of their eggs.
    3) I had a box for all the level 40 Pokémon I caught with my super rod.
    4) Lugia's Aeroblast kept amazing me.
    5) Togepi used Metronome! Togepi used Aeroblast!
    6) Thinking I was gonna die during my first rival battle, and then Totodile ate that berry, and I was like: "Ow yeah."
    7) Catching Raikou in a Master Ball owned.
    8) Catching Entei and Suicune in Fast Balls also owned.
    9) Finding out you can catch both Lugia and Ho-Oh blew my mind.
    10) One word: Delibird!

2nd-Thanatos

Watchmen of Sector 2.
    Years
  • I just HAVE to leave my ten reasons =)

1- One hundred new pokemon that everybody liked. No controversy like today's adds.
    2- The fact that you could explore two regions and have a lot to do after beating the Elite Four made me feel much more complete.
    3- Fighting "yourself" when facing Red. Everybody felt chills down the spine when Red just said "..." and the battle started.
    4- The addition of two new amazing types: Steel and Dark.
    5- GSC brought the better supporting characters of all time, including Silver, Jasmine, Karen and others.
    6- You could be a good trainer and win battles with other strategy than just Sweep.
    7- I remember all the times I've had to stay awake until late evening or wake early, or play during a specific day of the week just to get something.
    8- Due to playing it at a very young age, Pokemon Gold was a great influence in my personality. I wouldn't be who I am today if wasn't for Pokemon. With Pokemon, I learned that animals are friends and we must take care of them.
    9- All those rumors everywhere. Since there wasn't much Internet to check out, if someone tells you that holding A+B makes a move critical, you have to try to see if it's true. When you knew something not eveyrbody knew (Red's location, where to get a specific TM or object, or how to clone pokemons), you felt like if you REALLY knew something important xD

10- And the last one, because when we were children enjoying an adventure, we just wanted to have fun. Didn't cared about graphics, IVs, or anything else.

Garouga! Bare Your Fangs!

Throw your fangs up!
    Years
  • 1: Catching your Rival peeping through the lab window.

2: The Pokemon March!

3: Brock with a Kabutops.

4: Biking through Goldenrod to hatch eggs.

5: Biking through Goldenrod so much that you know exactly how many buildings there are and how big they are.

6: Seeing everything in color!

7: Knowing the only thing that stands between you and the Elite Four is a super-powerful Kingdra.

8: Having random people call you and pretending like you care about what they did.

9: Level 4 Ponytas.

10: Eevee + Shadow Ball + Iron Tail.

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2014
    1. Badass Rival.
    2. Best Pokemon out of all generations, hands down.
    3. Epic music, but not quite as epic as Kanto.
    4. Skarmory. What a badass!
    5. Sneasel. WHAT A BADASS!
    6. Only 6 new legendaries, unlike the new games with over 9000.
    7. No Hoenn or Sinnoh Pokemon.
    8. Probably the biggest visual upgrade from RBY to GSC, the sprites looked amazing.
    9. No contests, Pokeblocks, ribbons, or any of that nonsense.
    10. RED.

uskelly

Pokemon Master
    Years
    • MN
    • Seen Jun 4, 2011
    1. Evolution was soo cool!
    2. GoldenRod had everything
    3. So easy with so much satification!
    4. Fire Pokemon!
    5. FLYING!
    6. Battleing my friend, does that count?
    7. Gotta collect them all!
    8. Sorting them in my boxes!
    9. Masterball...
    10. 16 Badges! All the fun! Except we didn't have to get rid of our old pokes or start over :P

Ataraxia

Wanderer
    Years
  • :D This is a pretty good idea actually... little less clutter on the forums xD

1. Scizor. :D (in case you didn't realise, he's my favourite Pokemon)
    2. After playing Yellow for 3-4 years, playing a sequel (of sorts) was absolutely mind boggling
    3. COLOURS!!! :D
    4. Animations! (Crystal)
    5. Best laid-out region yet IMO
    6. The fact that after you beat the E4 for the first time you're only half finished!! :D
    7. Linking to 6, seeing the Kanto gym leaders with level 50-60+ pokemon (including Johto pokemon!)
    8. Best music in any Pokemon game, I stacked up around 500 hours on my first Crystal play through and a lot of that was just listening to the music
    9. Pokemon Trainer Red. 'Nuff said. (plus the fact that he had nearly the EXACT same team as one of my first Yellow playthroughs)
    10. Day and Night system made everything cool... 'specially Goldenrod at night... 0.0 pretty lights...

There you have it. 10 reasons why I will never put G/S/C - HG/SS down. Ever. (I'll play B/W with my feet if I have to...)

Last edited:

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    It was color
    It looked cool
    I loved the character's new sprite
    Umbreon, Espeon, and Cyndaquil
    16 gyms
    Victory Road was easy (save for the Elite 4)
    1st gym ain't Rock
    Had shinies
    Love the music
    Ruins of Alph felt historical
    That's all folks! ;)

Back