• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Over used main character pokemon?

DGexe

Taunter
Years
To be honest, they really aren't. It's odd, given that:

1. It's actually very easy to explain how a character would be able to find a Ghost-type. After all, Ghost-types do actually haunt buildings and cemeteries (like your Gastly haunting an attic), so humans have fairly easy access to them. Catching one might be a different story, but hey, that's true for pretty much any wild Pokemon.

Hehe, true, true; ghosts are eeevvveeerrrryyywwhheeeeerrrreeee.

2. It's not like Ghost-types are particularly unpopular. I don't know how many times I've seen someone use a Gengar on their teams, at least.

Pfft, I hardly see Haunters on anyone's teams. How would you get a Gengar, anyway, if you stick to the trading mechanics for a fic? You traded your Haunter and traded it back, or you traded for someone else' Gengar/Haunter? *shot*

3. They have the potential to be very interesting characters. While Ghosts generally don't have powerhouse moves for awhile (for example, Gastly only knowing Lick as an offensive move until much later -- and even then, its next damaging move would be Night Shade, if we don't count Curse), many of them typically have the ability to pass through solid objects, hover, use status moves, and pull off all kinds of other interesting tricks to get through a battle. On top of that, they can't really die (again).

So, yeah. I really don't know why, but Ghosts just aren't on the overused list. *shrug*

Don't forget the ever-typical-trickster/goofy mannerisms they all seem to have-- *shot, because her IC-Haunter character is a goofy dork... if a tad sinister on the side*. Of course, some can use other moves as well from other Types... yeah, that's right, I'm looking at you , Sludge Bomb.

Yeah, how... would you "kill" a Ghost-type anyway? Furthermore how does one BREED them with living Pokemon? *shot* Anyway, I have a flicker of an idea as to why they aren't used much:

People simply overlook them for more powerful Pokemon/Ash only had one in the anime, and even then he didn't truely catch that Haunter. It just followed him back to Saffron and became Sabrina's Ghost-Type member.

SO THERE. *shot again*

Back