• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Over used main character pokemon?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
  • I've seen many an Eevee in OT fics -- usually given because of cuteness or the fact that it can evolve into tons of different Pokemon.

Pikachu tends to be popular as well because of the popularity of Ash Ketchum Syndrome, where the writer tends to think that everyone needs to be on the same kind of journey as Ash.

Recently, I've seen Riolu/Lucario, and I recall seeing Vulpix on a number of female trainers from writers who actually acknowledged the fact that Eevee was overdone way back when.

This is, of course, aside from the traditional starters of the region you're writing in. (Or even the ones you aren't. People seem to like taking the traditional starters of the most recent region and giving them out to their trainers, despite the fact that, for example, Professor Oak does not canonically shell out Piplup.) And, of course, people at one point seemed to like handing rare Pokemon to their trainers, like Dratini.

There's probably others. Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
  • I match Xanthine's statements, except for Vulpix-- I wasn't aware that Vulpix is somewhat overdone (or completely?); but yeah, Eevee is definately overdone.

I heard once though that Munchlax is turning into an overly used starter. For my own curiousity, can anyone back this up? I personally haven't seen a lot of Munchlaxes being used, so you might be okay with using it if it catches your interest, Lukespade.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    DG: I think Munchlax was rumored to be used/was used often when it was just announced. It was one of the first 4th gen Pokemon announced, so people jumped on it because it was exciting. After a while, the love of Munchlax just kind of died down, having it used in fanfiction.

And I'm thirding the Eevee and Riolu love. I haven't read a lot of OT fics in a while, but those are definitely the ones I remember a lot.

Dragon-types. if one talks more about the entire OT team, are seen a lot. Dratini and Bagon mostly. Perhaps a Flygon.

Really, though, you shouldn't be concerned over what Pokemon you have on your character's team. Just as long as the Pokemon are written well and gotten in conventional means (no finding injured Eevee on the roadside) no ones gonna really jump down your throat. But I can safely say that they will if you have a Legendary, because that's just "o_O" depending on the canon used.

And yes, I realize this post is so effed up in terms of grammar.

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
  • Aaah, but what is "hacked" in terms of fanfiction and canon? Not all fics are exactly... *scratches head* in possession of game-mechanics? For example, most people don't limit Pokemon moves to four, as they do in the games...

And thanks for that info, Astinus!

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • How do you exactly know if Pokémon are hacked in a fic?
    Well, if the author gives out the Pokémon's stats every time it gains a level - which, quite frankly, I've never seen anyone do - and those stats are clearly hacked, then, I guess...

But in a way, all Pokémon in fics are hacked. They know too many moves, don't fait when they should, don't follow the elemental weaknesses and other stuff along those lines.

But, to stay on the topic:
    I've seen many fics with Ralts, Kirlia or Gardevoir. I don't know if that makes them overused, but at least they are quite common. If you want to avoid common Pokémon, don't use Kirlia.

I used Kirlia. I also used Pichu. And I used a Kanto starter. All in the same fic. Heh.

Blue Angel

Living for now
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2016
    I can't say I've ever seen a Kirlia as I starter. Although, Psychic starters would be strong and highly useful without game limitations (like random "Use Psychic to throw ____ into a wall!" or "Use Psychic to toss the boulder at ____.")

I think Pokemon that eventually evolve into something rare and strong (by levels,etc.; not by stones) would be good if it was spun the right way. (Especially if the rare Pokemon had problems, emotionally - like scared, angry, low self-esteem, etc.)

Now a Professor randomly handing out rare Pokemon is definitely not the way to go.

Something more along the lines of "We want to document the power and growth of rare Pokemon brought up by trainers from the very beginning versus one met on the journey." or in the case of Fakemon or "new game" Pokemon "We don't know very much about this Pokemon right now, so I want you to raise it and check in with me..."

I've never seen an author use either one of those angles (which somehow sounded many times better in my head 0_o) and I would like to see the first used in the remotest sense.

BTW, I "fourth" Eevee as being way overused, but I've never seen Munchlax or Vuplix as a starter.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • But we're talking about main character Pokémon in general, not just starters... I haven't seen Kirlias as starters either. By the way, why are there so few psychic starters in fanfiction? I don't think I have seen any fics with psychic starters....

Oh, and I really like those approaches for explaining strong starters ^-^

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • On a slightly less troll-feed note:

except for Vulpix-- I wasn't aware that Vulpix is somewhat overdone (or completely?);

Or, at least, I thought it was back in the old days, when the term "cute Pokemon" only extended to a very small handful of cute and furries. Like, GSC or before era. I'm not sure if it holds true nowadays, though. Most of the OT badfic I've seen usually involve the others I've mentioned. *shrug*

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Something more along the lines of "We want to document the power and growth of rare Pokemon brought up by trainers from the very beginning versus one met on the journey."
    Wasn't that used in some form of canon somewhere? o_O Like, I remember reading that the professor or someone official wanted to document how friendship affects Pokemon strength, to see if being close to a trainer would make the Pokemon stronger compared to a Pokemon raised by an abusive trainer.

I'm not really sure though, since it's been a while since I've actually looked seriously at Pokemon canon except for the move pools. Maybe it was just something I read in a fanfic that stayed in my mind.

I think Psychic Pokemon are used often because they're strong and versatile. I mean, Blue Angel pointed out a few ways to use the move Psychic without following game mechanics. And like I said, Psychic Pokemon are strong without being physically strong.

And also, I haven't seen Vulpix used much these days, but definitely in the older days, it was Vulpix and Eevee up the wazoo. (lol furries)

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Pikachu, Eevee, & Vulpix, and people having a choice of 6 starters (I know thats not the question)

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023
    There's nothing wrong with using the starters as, well, starters.

However, I have seen Ralts used a lot as a starter.

Elekid Kid

Banned
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    Well, I used Charmander in my fic, basicly because it is simple. Plain, classic and it is handed out by Proffesor Oak. But I think what pokemon are included in fan fics is irellevant if the writing in other areas is good.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • There's nothing wrong with using the starters as, well, starters.

I agree, actually. In fact, personally, I prefer that the starters be used if the character in question is getting his or her first Pokemon from the local professor. (From anywhere else, you have a wider range of options.) At that point, unless there's a very good reason for it, I would prefer it if the following cliches aren't used:

1. Character gets their last choice, rather than one they choose for strategic reasons (even if it's a second choice). No, waking up late is not a good excuse for that. The situation is a cliche.

2. A mix of starters from various regions because the author doesn't like the complete set associated with the region in question. For example, Elm gives out Cyndaquil, Totodile, and Chikorita. It's just the Pokemon he gets to distribute canonically, and the anime implies that those are the typical starters he hands out. He does not mix and match, so he would not be handing out Turtwig, Torchic, and Squirtle, even if you like those Pokemon more.

But I think what pokemon are included in fan fics is irellevant if the writing in other areas is good.

Depends on the Pokemon. Sometimes, the Pokemon starter ends up being a violation to canon in itself because of what it is. In fact, I've explained this pretty thoroughly in the original version of Lukespade's fic concerning having legendaries be starters and why that doesn't work.

Likewise, certain Pokemon imply a lack of creativity. For example, if a kid wakes up late and ends up getting a special Pokemon that isn't of the three starters, chances are, it's going to be Pikachu because the fic in question appears to be a copy of Ash's quest. Alternatively, it's going to be Eevee because everyone and their mother who does this kind of fic either gives the main character Pikachu or that thing. If it's the latter, then most likely, you're probably heading down the typical, cookie-cutter OT story, possibly with a Mary Sue. (I'm not saying the Pokemon would be what defines cookie-cutter OT stories. I'm saying that certain starters end up being red flags for lack of creativity because the authors who write these kinds of stories look at other stories in the same genre and tend to follow the same kinds of plot, whether they know it or not.)

Additionally, it implies something about the character. For example, I've seen a lot of Riolu starters, and every trainer I've seen with one tends to be the tough-guy type, possibly with a strong sense of justice. Why? Because the author's trying to match the starter with the trainer, and they come up with the idea that Riolu -- which they may like a lot because "Riolu is cool omg" -- is a tough-guy kind of Pokemon.

So, really, the starter Pokemon does have some weight with the rest of the story because the starters unfortunately imply that certain things will be true. It's not the Pokemon itself, however, so much as the fact that the authors who use those kinds of Pokemon as starters in a fic tend to follow a predictable track. That's why people say you should avoid overused Pokemon: because most likely, you'll look like you're following those tracks (and not because we've seen 19028202 Eevee starters).

Post Office Buddy

Trapped inside this Octavarium
    Years
  • Actually, I think the number of Eevee starters is much higher than that.

Anyway, legends should never be used because they are, well, legends. In canon they are one of a kind, extremely powerful, and very hard to tame. The likelihood of a newbie trainer obtaining one is zero percent.

I, unfortunately, gave one of my main characters a Mew. Although I have a reason for it, I didn't think at the time the plausibility of that. I kind of moved away from canon after that and... well, if I say any more then it gives away what you may not have read. I'll just say it involves an island. A very remote island.

So yeah, if done right, with amazing development and a holeless plot, then I think nearly any Basic Pokemon could be used as a starter.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    How do you exactly know if Pokémon are hacked in a fic?
    Well, if the author gives out the Pokémon's stats every time it gains a level - which, quite frankly, I've never seen anyone do - and those stats are clearly hacked, then, I guess...

But in a way, all Pokémon in fics are hacked. They know too many moves, don't fait when they should, don't follow the elemental weaknesses and other stuff along those lines.

But, to stay on the topic:
    I've seen many fics with Ralts, Kirlia or Gardevoir. I don't know if that makes them overused, but at least they are quite common. If you want to avoid common Pokémon, don't use Kirlia.

I used Kirlia. I also used Pichu. And I used a Kanto starter. All in the same fic. Heh.

Heyyyyy my fic has a Ralts, Kirlia, Gallade. Show some love, lol.

An overused Pokemon to me is mainly ALL Dragon Pokemon. I don't think I've had a Dragon Pokemon appearance in my fic until Dialga and that chapter hasn't even HAPPENED yet. Ha.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2009
    Have to agree with Blue Angel here. While I'm new and haven't read too too many starting pokemon, physics are very hard to manage both roleplay wise and story wise without it getting too one sided.

Turtle King is right too. Dragons I feel are the popular pick.

I wouldn't quite say Pikachu, because fan fics most people would want to steer clear of the anime.

Post Office Buddy

Trapped inside this Octavarium
    Years
  • I wouldn't quite say Pikachu, because fan fics most people would want to steer clear of the anime.
    Well, I wouldn't say Pikachu either, but the fact about that one is that if you read a story with a Pikachu as the starter, then you're automatically going to assume that they got their idea from the anime. It's more of a cliche starter than an overused one, but it still carrys the same problems an overused one does.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2009
    Well, I wouldn't say Pikachu either, but the fact about that one is that if you read a story with a Pikachu as the starter, then you're automatically going to assume that they got their idea from the anime. It's more of a cliche starter than an overused one, but it still carrys the same problems an overused one does.

Well put.

I guess it all depends on the first post of the Pikachu's personality. Then again Pikachu was a dick to start off with so it's hard to tell.

I wouldn't know too many people to start off with it anyway though, but I see your point.

Back