• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

i don't need no mega

Sirfetch’d

I made this team around 2ish weeks ago and have used it in various ladder battles on both our server and the main plus in my most recent PCL match. Until yesterday when I lost to Aaron, this team had been undefeated going some 20-0. I think that it's a pretty solid team overall, but could use some improvements. Opposing Tapu Kokos are pretty threatening to my team and I have to rely on Landorus remaining enough health to survive a HP Ice or Scolipede keeping it's sash intact. I think maybe Specially Defensive Excadrill could be beneficial to take care of Koko.

Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
    Ability: Moxie
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Substitute
    - Bounce
    - Waterfall

This is the star of my team and who I wanted to build around. Gyarados is much better in this meta than it's Mega form due to the introduction of Z stones. With access to a powerful Flying typed nuke, Gyarados is finally able to make good use of it's 2 STABs. I am considering replacing Sub with either Earthquake or Crunch so I have a better matchup against things that resist my 2 STABs, but Sub is nice for scouting.

Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Electric Surge
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 1 Atk
    - Thunderbolt
    - Volt Switch
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Scarf Koko is actually pretty weak, failing to pick up knock outs on Landorus and Chomp with HP Ice, but is great for revenge killing other scarfers such as Gengar or mons that have accumulated a boost such as Gyarados.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
    Relaxed Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - U-turn
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Very standard Landorus set here, a mixed wall with rocks and good coverage moves. I opted for a -Speed nature to not hinder HP Ice and for a slower U-Turn. I am not looking to outspeed anything.

Scolipede @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Speed Boost
    Adamant Nature
    - Spikes
    - Swords Dance
    - Poison Jab
    - Earthquake

While Scolipede is mainly a Spiker, it provides a great deal of pressure with the threat of SD + it's respectable attack, Speed Boost, and nice offensive moves such as Poison Jab and EQ. It's focus sash ensures it can at least get 1-2 sets of spikes up, a SD, or a Poison Jab against big threats, like the Tapus.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
    Ability: Misty Surge
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
    Calm Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Defog
    - Nature's Madness
    - Moonblast
    - Taunt

This is the most interchangeable mon. Really here for Defog, but is also pretty good at stomaching hits. The main issue with Fini here is it gives up a lot of momentum and can become fodder pretty quickly. Might replace with Excadrill as a hazard remover.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
    Ability: Defiant
    Jolly Nature
    - Sucker Punch
    - Pursuit
    - Knock Off
    - Iron Head

Gengar was threatening my team pretty hard to begin with. While I've made other adjustments, Bisharp is still pretty nice to have. It discourages opposing Defoggers and Landorus certainly doesn't want to switch into it. Knock Off support is not as great as it was last gen(IMO), but still does wonders for a team. Bisharp has been pretty helpful overall too.

Years
  • I like to have a stealth rocker on every team tbh. And considerung ur problem against tapu koko u can just use alolan marowak.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
    Ability: Lightning Rod
    Adamant Nature
    - Shadow Bone
    - Fire Punch
    - Bonemerang/stealth rock
    - Will-O-Wisp/stealth rock

The one i think u should switch it is with scolipede

Btw I use the same set of gyarados but with taunt in place of substitute.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Venusaur could work as a replacement here. It effectively neuters most of Koko's sets and Landy can cover the variants Venusaur cannot. This also means you have more options vs Bulu AND Fini as well. Can't post a set right now but I will ASAP.

He can't use Mega Venusaur because of the team's name, though. But I agree, since Gyarados is the star of the team, Landorus isn't good enough for electrics since they typically run HP Ice. Alolan Marowak is also an option but it's quite frail.

I'd replace Substitute with something else, too. It went well with Bounce before Z-Moves were a thing as the set typically had Leftovers, but it's not that useful without them.

It also looks like you'd have trouble against Ferrothorn. Maybe consider Fini and Scoli (if you'll be adding Venusaur) to deal with Pokémon you find your team has trouble with.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    That's why I didn't say Mega-Venusaur :P. Depending on the team, you could go with an offensive Venu set incorporating HP Fire for Ferro.

A bulky attacker M-Venu would work great, and HP Fire sounds good too. No reason not to have it be mega, Thick Fat is great and so are the offence and defence boosts.

[RMT] i do need a mega

Sirfetch’d

The only reason I didn't have a mega was because I just wasn't sure of who to replace for one. Going to change out Scolipede for Venusaur though and I am also going to replace Landorus with Marowak which still gives me a Stealth Rock user that has a better matchup vs Koko and Ferrothorn. I didn't mention it in my OP, but Ferro has been troublesome. I usually have to burn my Z move just to get rid of it.

I will also consider replacing Sub on Gyara. Not too sure if I want to go with Taunt or Earthquake though.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I don't think that swapping Lando with Alolan Marowak is neccessary. Using Excadrill and Mega Venu still covers what you're trying to cover (Koko and Ferro respectively), while keeping the utility of Lando-T (that Maro lacks).

Earthquake vs Taunt vs Sub on Gyarados might just be something you'll need to try out and see what you like best.

Sirfetch’d

ok so I will replace Scoli and Fini then with Venu and Excadrill. I like this a bit more as Excadrill isn't as much of a liability as Marowak or Fini.

Sirfetch’d

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokecommunity-gen7ou-258975

Shawn and I did a few battles to test it. The first one(not shown) was a horrible matchup for his team so I didn't really measure my team vs it. I lost the second match. Shawn's team was really well made and my Excadrill got foddered a bit too early so I had no way to deal with Magearna. The 3rd match is the one I posted and it was a very fun one. I think the team is pretty solid right now and aside from a few potential matchup issues, is one I am happy with.

Back