• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: Getting Around IP Bans?

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    I was wondering something that's been crossing my mind lately. Nowadays, some people are very smart with hacking a computer and can get around an IP ban and keep coming back no matter how many times they're banned. So, I was wondering, what does this community do to keep a user away who can hack and keep changing their IP address and come back over and over again after a ban? How would you be able to ban a person like that? All they've do would be to change their IP and come back to the community again where they've then keep causing problems. At that point would it actually be harassing where you could report the person to the police and get them arrested?

Years
  • IP bans are effectively a game of whack-a-mole. We have ways to audit members to help us figure out if someone is evading any of their bans, which I won't exactly detail. The need for us to ban someone by IP isn't all that common anyway.

When law enforcement needs to get involved? We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Last edited:
    Back