• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help! Pokemon not being given to player

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2019
    Hi can someone please help me. I'm still new to Pokemon rom hacks. Mine is basically an updated version of Kanto where you can get all the Pokemon from Gen 1 with some added extra content and Pokemon up to Gen 8.

I'm trying to make it so the player is gifted a Pikachu (Let's Go) on route 1. I want to replicate it with Eevee in Pewter City. All i'm getting from the guy is are you looking after my pikachu?

Here is the script that shows up in the text editor in advance map.

'---------------
    #org 0x890000
    checkflag 0x828
    if 0x1 goto 0x889006B
    msgbox 0x8890076 MSG_YESNO '"Hello.\nSorry to trouble you.\nI c..."
    compare LASTRESULT 0x1
    if 0x1 goto 0x8890027
    msgbox 0x88900D6 MSG_NORMAL '"That's okay.\pI'm sure someone els..."
    release
    end

'---------------
    #org 0x89006B
    msgbox 0x8890178 MSG_NORMAL '"Are you taking good care\nof Pikac..."
    release
    end

'---------------
    #org 0x890027
    givepokemon 0x1B8 0x5 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0
    fanfare 0x13E
    msgbox 0x8890109 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"[black_fr]You received a Pikachu!"
    waitfanfare
    closeonkeypress
    setflag 0x828
    msgbox 0x8890126 MSG_YESNO '"[black_fr]Would you like to give a..."
    compare LASTRESULT 0x1
    if 0x1 call 0x8890064
    msgbox 0x8890159 MSG_NORMAL '"Please take care of\nPikachu."
    release
    end

'---------------
    #org 0x890064
    call 0x81A74EB
    return

'---------------
    #org 0x1A74EB
    fadescreen 0x1
    special 0x9E
    waitstate
    return

'---------
    ' Strings
    '---------
    #org 0x890076
    = Hello.\nSorry to trouble you.\nI can't take care\nof my Pikachu.\pCan you take care of\nit for me?

#org 0x8900D6
    = That's okay.\pI'm sure someone else will\ntake it.

#org 0x890178
    = Are you taking good care\nof Pikachu?

#org 0x890109
    = [black_fr]You received a Pikachu!

#org 0x890126
    = [black_fr]Would you like to give a\nnickname to Pikachu?

#org 0x890159
    = Please take care of\nPikachu.

It originally worked for me but then stopped working and I keep using fresh clean roms and still won't work. Can someone please help it's driving me mad. Thank you.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2019
    I managed to get it to work. Had some issues with freezing. I had to use PGE instead of Gen 3 Suite and put Pikachu back into the game and pointed the dex no to 0x1b8 which is just after Unown Z. However I have no idea what hex will be for any future added mons. I used G3S originally but both don't seem to work together well. The text is a bit glitchy too in the text box which I don't understand. I'm also gifted Pikachu every time I talk to him.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2024
    I think replacing any of the ??? entries will mess up the game, they happen to be hardwired to be the unowns. I would think u just corrupted your rom

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2019
    I think replacing any of the ??? entries will mess up the game, they happen to be hardwired to be the unowns. I would think u just corrupted your rom

You can replace all the ??? after Unown just not the entries after Gen 2 mons. As these are at the end of the index entries. I've added many mons in different roms over time and they have all worked in the game no problem. I think the issues i'm having is do with flags as i'm not very experienced there. For example I followed another forum post on here it said as an example checkflag 0x828 I changed this to checkflag 0x100 and it worked but I believe it is the wrong flag as I keep being given a Pikachu.

Years
  • You can replace all the ??? after Unown just not the entries after Gen 2 mons. As these are at the end of the index entries. I've added many mons in different roms over time and they have all worked in the game no problem. I think the issues i'm having is do with flags as i'm not very experienced there. For example I followed another forum post on here it said as an example checkflag 0x828 I changed this to checkflag 0x100 and it worked but I believe it is the wrong flag as I keep being given a Pikachu.

Flags are used as some sort of checkpoint. It identifies whether you have finished an event or not.
    Flags also control the visibility of objects ingame.
    For full findings of safe flags to be used ingame, please check this thread.

Imagine flag as a switch which you can turn on and off.
    To turn a flag on, you use setflag command. To turn a flag off, you use clearflag command.
    Flag 0x828 when activated, it will allow the player to access the Pokemon Menu.
    I think it is activated when you obtain your first pokemon in Oak's Lab.

Checkflag 0x828 command is to check if flag 828 is turned on or off.
    Checkflag is always followed with a if 0x1 goto command.
    if 0x1 goto means that if the checked flag is on, the script will jump to the offset which you point to.

So simply put, you need to provide a fresh flag, not 828 in the end of your give Pikachu script or your script will be executed repeatedly.
    After you have earned your Pikachu script, write :
    setflag 0x200
    release
    end
    This will activate flag 200 (it is safe to use, please check the thread i posted above).

Then in the beginning of the script, write.
    checkflag 0x200
    if 0x1 goto @Hey How is my pikachu?
    msgbox @GetPikachu
    This will tell the game to check if flag 200 is on or not.
    And if flag 200 is on, the game will jump to a script where the NPC will point out that you have obtained Pikachu.
    And if the flag is off, the script will continue on going.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2019
    Thank you. This really helped me and has worked. I only get the Pikachu once. It means that I can now gift Pokemon easily as and when I need to.

Back