• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What is the best Flying type for Pokemon Black?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Remember, this is Pokemon Black. I know Braviary is great, but he's a Pokemon White exculsive, and I don't own White at the moment. Also, Emolga will not be considered as it cannot learn Fly.

So I'm currently trying to figure out a team for this playthrough. This is my team at the moment (I just beat Burgh):
    Spr_5b_502.png
    Spr_5b_529.png
    Spr_5b_559.png
    Spr_5b_513.png

I'm planning on evolving Pansear into Simisear with the Fire Stone you get in Castelia and sending it to the PC.

Here are the other 2 Pokemon I have planned so far:
    Spr_5b_596.png
    Spr_5b_609.png

I will be replacing Simisear with Chandelure. Because Chandelure is a MUCH better Fire Type option.

As you have ALSO noticed, I have NO IDEA what my flying type will be. Mostly because I cannot decide. Here are my choices:
    Spr_5b_521_m.png
    Spr_5b_561.png
    Spr_5b_581.png
    Spr_5b_630.png

So, let's see what we've got here.
    Unfezant - Decent physical attacker with somewhat decent stats. Though its Special movepool negates its Physical playstyle.
    Sigilyph - Fast Special Attacker with some bulk that can access quite a bit of coverage and good abilities.
    Swanna - Fast, fragile mixed attacker. Though it has a limited movepool and a 4x weakness to Electric.
    Mandibuzz - Incredibly bulky in Physical AND Special Defense, though somewhat lacking in offense. Though it's not obtainable until fairly late into the game. Has quite a good movepool though!

So I'm not choosing Swanna, because I already have a Water Type in Samurott, and I'm honestly not a fan of the Unfezant line, though they are fairly good. I'm honestly leaning more toward Sigilyph, but tell me what you guys think!

Years
  • I personally used Unfezant in my playthrough way back when, but that's cause I have a tradition of using the regional bird in all my playthroughs of the first games of each generation. It's really up to you: Sigilyph can hit hard with Psychic attacks but Unfezant is more well-rounded in my opinion.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Unfezant is probably the most useless Flying-type in Unova (my personal opinion which is also shared with a lot of others haha). Sigilyph to me was just... a HM user and nothing more really.

So I offer another option: Swoobat. It learns Fly, Psychic, Air Slash, Calm Mind, can learn Shadow Ball & Charge Beam & Energy Ball and is SUPER fast, has an awesome ability etc - https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Swoobat_(Pok?mon)

Check it out! Definitely my #1 pick and can easily become your #1 most used Pokemon :)

porygoing

Kreeeeeh
    Years
  • I used Archeops. I know it has bad ability, but it can sweep before the ability is activated. And I used Sigilyph too. Sigilyph is my favorite Psychic type Pokemon.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Hey :) How did you go? What Flying type did you end up choosing?

Remember, this is Pokemon Black. I know Braviary is great, but he's a Pokemon White exculsive, and I don't own White at the moment. Also, Emolga will not be considered as it cannot learn Fly.

So I'm currently trying to figure out a team for this playthrough. This is my team at the moment (I just beat Burgh):
    Spr_5b_502.png
    Spr_5b_529.png
    Spr_5b_559.png
    Spr_5b_513.png

I'm planning on evolving Pansear into Simisear with the Fire Stone you get in Castelia and sending it to the PC.

Here are the other 2 Pokemon I have planned so far:
    Spr_5b_596.png
    Spr_5b_609.png

I will be replacing Simisear with Chandelure. Because Chandelure is a MUCH better Fire Type option.

As you have ALSO noticed, I have NO IDEA what my flying type will be. Mostly because I cannot decide. Here are my choices:
    Spr_5b_521_m.png
    Spr_5b_561.png
    Spr_5b_581.png
    Spr_5b_630.png

So, let's see what we've got here.
    Unfezant - Decent physical attacker with somewhat decent stats. Though its Special movepool negates its Physical playstyle.
    Sigilyph - Fast Special Attacker with some bulk that can access quite a bit of coverage and good abilities.
    Swanna - Fast, fragile mixed attacker. Though it has a limited movepool and a 4x weakness to Electric.
    Mandibuzz - Incredibly bulky in Physical AND Special Defense, though somewhat lacking in offense. Though it's not obtainable until fairly late into the game. Has quite a good movepool though!

So I'm not choosing Swanna, because I already have a Water Type in Samurott, and I'm honestly not a fan of the Unfezant line, though they are fairly good. I'm honestly leaning more toward Sigilyph, but tell me what you guys think!

Years
  • I used Sigilyph in Black 2 and it did a decent job. Has good Speed and Sp. Attack, as well as good defensive stats, and it can definitely fill that Fly slot well.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    That's awesome! Great to hear :) Feel free to make discussion threads if you would like! Going to close this now as I think we are sitting good for advice haha.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back