• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

VGC '16 Groudon Trick Room Team

Sayuri

人生忘れられた
Years
  • With the reintroduction of many legendaries in 2016 that 2010 had (plus some new ones and Primal formes), I decided to take a more unique approach to my team than I normally would. I was inspired by Huy's team from 2010 when I started making this team (thought that might be interesting to note). Anyway, here's the team:
    Spoiler:

I'm really looking for help improving this team, as I feel like it's pretty solid but is lacking something, especially in the Aegislash slot. If anyone could give me some feedback, I'd be very grateful. Thanks for reading. ^^

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • The main problem with Eruption is that as Primal Groudon gets worn down throughout the battle, Eruption becomes less useful. Having Fire Blast over that not only makes Primal Groudon less prone to Wide Guard, but also provides it with a consistent Fire STAB.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2020
    Maybe have a Brave Groudon and teach it Fire Punch.
    -Fire Punch
    -Precipice Blades/Earthquake
    -SolarBeam
    -Bulk Up
    Item: Red Orb
    Ability: Desolate Land
    EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Sp.Def/Def/HP/Sp.Att, 4/HP/Sp.Def/Def/Sp.Att
    Nature: Brave

How about Exeggcutor?
    -Trick Room
    -Solar Beam
    -Psychic/Psyshock/Extrasensory
    -AncientPower/Sludge Bomb/Calm Mind/Infestation
    Item: Lum Berry/ Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Harvest
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp.Att, 4 Sp.Def/Def
    Nature: Quiet

Sayuri

人生忘れられた
    Years
  • The main problem with Eruption is that as Primal Groudon gets worn down throughout the battle, Eruption becomes less useful. Having Fire Blast over that not only makes Primal Groudon less prone to Wide Guard, but also provides it with a consistent Fire STAB.

Thanks, I'll try Fire Blast.

Maybe have a Brave Groudon and teach it Fire Punch.
    -Fire Punch
    -SolarBeam
    -Bulk Up

How about Exeggcutor?
    -Trick Room
    -Solar Beam

I actually really like this idea. I definitely will try this out and tell you how it goes.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Maybe have a Brave Groudon and teach it Fire Punch.
    -Fire Punch
    -SolarBeam
    -Bulk Up

How about Exeggcutor?
    -Trick Room
    -Solar Beam
    Max HP/max Attack is most effective for Trick Room Primal Groudon. Yes, it can use Solar Beam to hit Water Pokemon, but that problem is nonexistent while Desolate Land is active, as it makes all Water moves useless.

As for Exeggutor, what does Ancient Power, Sludge Bomb, Calm Mind, and Infestation even do for it? Neutral STAB Psychic still outdamages a 2x super effective Ancient Power, and still hits the 4x Rock weaks for reasonable damage. A neutral STAB Solar Beam also hits just as hard as a 2x super effective Sludge Bomb. Switching is very rarely done, so there's no point in having Infestation at all. Doubles formats like VGC make it hard to set up stat boosts; this is more easily done with Pokemon that have a reasonable amount of bulk and/or a good defensive typing, neither of which Exeggutor has.

Sayuri

人生忘れられた
    Years
  • Max HP/max Attack is most effective for Trick Room Primal Groudon. Yes, it can use Solar Beam to hit Water Pokemon, but that problem is nonexistent while Desolate Land is active, as it makes all Water moves useless.

As for Exeggutor, what does Ancient Power, Sludge Bomb, Calm Mind, and Infestation even do for it? Neutral STAB Psychic still outdamages a 2x super effective Ancient Power, and still hits the 4x Rock weaks for reasonable damage. A neutral STAB Solar Beam also hits just as hard as a 2x super effective Sludge Bomb. Switching is very rarely done, so there's no point in having Infestation at all. Doubles formats like VGC make it hard to set up stat boosts; this is more easily done with Pokemon that have a reasonable amount of bulk and/or a good defensive typing, neither of which Exeggutor has.

Sadly, I wasn't able to get Trick Room up with Exeggutor at all. :( I really liked the Harvest + Sitrus Berry idea with Groudon, though!

I took your suggestion with Fire Blast > Eruption and it has helped a lot. Thanks.

I still feel like the team needs some work though. So if anyone can help me still, it'd be appreciated. ^^

Back