• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"hiding" or "disguising" a type.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
  • Let's say hypothetically that there is a new Pokemon type in my game. Okay, not hypothetically, but whatever.

I'm wanting to do something in my game like in Gen II where they said the steel type was "newly discovered", except instead of happening beforehand, it happens as a part of the story. There are moves and Pokemon with this typing, and some TMs. How can I make it so that when a player hasn't gotten far enough into the story, the new type would be disguised as normal type? It doesn't matter to me if it's just Cosmetic (i.e, it says normal but it's actually got the strengths/weaknesses/immunities of the new type), or literally the normal type until it's unlocked.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm already thinking a switch would be a good way to decide if the type should appear correctly or not.

Edit: Also, since it's somewhat related, is there anything wrong with a move being ???-type besides curse?

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Interesting.

To change a Pokémon's type(s), you'd need to look at def type1 and def type2 in PokeBattle_Pokemon. After the real type has been loaded from the dexdata, you should change it to either Normal/the Pokémon's other type (whichever effect you're going for) if it's your new type and a certain Global Switch is OFF.

For a move's type, you should do the same thing in def type at the bottom of PBMove.

As far as I can imagine, that's it. It would literally change the type, rather than just be cosmetic.

??? is a pseudo-type, which as far as I can tell means the following:

• The ability Color Change can't turn a Pokémon into a pseudo-type.
    • The moves Conversion and Conversion 2 can't turn a Pokémon into a pseudo-type.
    • Pseudo-types can't be searched for in the Pokédex.
    • Elemental squares in Triple Triad can't be a pseudo-type.
    • Pokémon can't be defined as a pseudo-type in the Editor.

??? doesn't have any weaknesses or resistances (and should probably stay that way). I don't think there's any reason you couldn't have ???-type moves, really.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • Considering it's Explosion and Selfdestruct I'm making ???-type, that'll be fine anyway.

That worked! Thanks Maruno!

Back