• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: One starter or choice?

Years
  • Hey all. I'm working on a hack right now. I'm trying to make it somewhat different from normal entries in the series. For instance, its designed to be a bit shorter than most hacks, and has a somewhat unconventional story-line for a hack.

I thought another cool way to mix it up would be to give only one starter choice. I know other successful hacks have done this in the past. Though when discussing it with my friends, they said that it would be more limiting to not have choice over a starter, and they would rather choose.

Regardless, I am not going to do the standard fire-water-grass choice. But I could implement some form of starter choice. It would be a little bit awkward to fit in to the plot, but not very much. What are your thoughts?

~mittens

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • I think both are acceptable. If you're doing one starter, it should be somewhat unique like Eevee. Having a solo starter and giving Charmander as that solo starter is a little lame for example (unless that goes with your story).

Karl

Creator of [b]Pokémon Darkfire[/b]
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    I think both are acceptable. If you're doing one starter, it should be somewhat unique like Eevee. Having a solo starter and giving Charmander as that solo starter is a little lame for example (unless that goes with your story).

I agree with this.

Solo starters can be very effective if tied in with a compelling storyline. Really, I would be happy playing with a Ditto if the storyline was actually compelling enough.

However, if it's just being done to mix things up with no real logic behind it, people can lose interest and be forced to use a Pokémon they wouldn't naturally choose.

So if you are going solo, make sure the storyline is good enough to warrant that, and like FBI said, it's always good to pick a unique Pokémon for that, like Eevee.

If you're going trio, these three triangles mimic exactly that of Grass/Fire/Water:

• Fire-Steel-Rock
    • Rock-Flying-Fighting
    • Ground-Poison-Grass

Years
    • TR
    • Seen Aug 4, 2023
    Give the player a Ditto, maybe?

Also please, PLEASE, for Arceus' sake; make the Pokémon Center healing routine fast. I'm playing Pokémon since 1996 and I absolutely HATE when Nurse saying that she'll heal my Pokémon to the full health if I agree to give them to her... Just make the interaction quick, or make an option to make it quick. I'm fully aware if I went in a PC, walk/run all the way to the counter and push the interact button in front of the nurse. Trust me I'm aware of what's gonna happen. There's no reason to make it long.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2023
    You can have one starter and it may make your hack even better impression. Just make a backstory where the MC has a reason or circumstance to choose the starter. Also make sure that the starter is some interesting pokemon.

Back