• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should there be Event-only Pokemon?

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
Years
  • Versions Exclusives, no problem. Pokemon that evolve only by trading, no problem. Pokemon that are super rare to encounter, no problem.

Event-only Pokemon, yes problem, especially region exclusive, once in a lifetime, you don't know when the next one will be, or if there ever will be another one, Events. Everyone has a life & can't just hop, skip, jump to the U.S., Japan or wherever the Event is taking place, so you miss the Event, no Pokemon for you. The only other alternative left then is cheat codes, which tbh takes the fun out of obtaining a Legendary & you have those "will not obey" Pokemon.

What do you guys think? Should there be Event only Pokemon? What can be other alternatives for Event-only exclusives?

Pika Pika :chu:

pkmin3033

Event-only Pokemon are Nintendo through and through: making some of their toys limited-time only deals to drive up interest in them (and create outrageous demands for them on the GTS meaning you can rarely if ever actually trade for anything because everyone wants events) and create an infuriating gap in the player base where some have them and others don't.

I realise that completing the Pokedex is perhaps not the main point of Pokemon titles these days - there are 802 of the things and, whilst you CAN get everything except these event Legendaries in the 3DS titles, you need all of them to pull it off. But even so, Nintendo make that goal impossible by not including these things. The games are incomplete. That's the only way to put it. As long as you can't get everything, you're not getting a complete game, because it is literally impossible to complete. You're solely dependant on Nintendo's goodwill, the GTS, or cheat devices. This is not good game design.

There is no rational explanation for event-only Pokemon. It's an archaic, unfair, and completely out of place practice that Pokemon really needs to be done with. As the Delta Episode demonstrated, there is NOTHING stopping Nintendo from distributing these Pokemon in a meaningful fashion...and as ORAS demonstrated with its ridiculous influx of Legendary Pokemon, there is nothing stopping them just tossing them in there either.

That said, I think if Nintendo MUST continue with this ridiculous practice, they should distribute them through QR codes. Not everyone has an internet connection, but they could just as easily include QR codes with the games which could work once you defeated the Elite Four. It worked with Magearna, so there is no reason it shouldn't work again. QR codes don't expire, you can limit their usage, and they serve exactly the same function as Wi-fi Mystery Gifts, only they're more inclusive. You don't need the internet to use them, but you DO need a 3DS, and you're not going to buy and play a 3DS game without one, so it's a safe bet you can use it.

Event-only Pokemon should only be alternatives of Pokemon you can get in-game, not things you cannot get any other way. Sort it out already, Nintendo.

Years
  • I don't think event-only Pokemon should be a thing, but looking at it from a marketing point of view, it gives fans a pretty big incentive to go to a movie or a certain area at a certain time, which will inevitably give Nintendo and other companies involved more money. In terms of Pokemon as a series itself, I always really wanted these as a kid simply because they were so exclusive and cool and whilst allowing everyone to have them would take away from that slightly, I think just making them super rare in-game or have very specific and difficult requirements should be the way forward to obtaining these kind of Pokemon.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • yeah, I agree with Luna. they're kind of a necessary evil when it comes to giving kids cool exclusive items and driving people to go to events.

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
    Years
  • I definitely don't like them too much. I'd rather these Pokemon have unique moves, rather than the event consisting of getting them in the first place.

For example, instead of going to Gamestop as the only means of getting a Marshadow, Let us catch Marshadow post-game and make the event Marshadow have an exclusive move or two. I feel like this still gives the dedicated players plenty of incentive to participate without screwing anyone over who just wants the Pokemon for a dex entry and casual play.

While the current system is a necessary evil, I think that it should be changed to make the quality of life better for the player base as a whole.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • From a marketing point of view maybe its a necessary evil, but isn't GF already milking enough money, by having two exact copies (& in some cases 3, with minor storyline changes & a few added features) of the same game, save version exclusives?

There have been no Pokemon Events ever, where I live, at least afaik, so how do I get those Event exclusives? Hell I don't even know how exactly these Pokemon are handed out at Events.

Maybe GF can put in some In-Game quests to obtain those Event onlys, I don't mind high difficulty levels, but at least I know the Pokemon is catchable legitimately.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • The short answer: It will continue because capitalism.

The long answer: I do like getting these events, but I am biased because I officially completed my collection last December(sans Marshadow for obvious reasons). However I was lucky as they've mostly all been available in Canada thus far. For people without WiFi and/or living in a country that doesn't get events, this is nearly impossible, thus I am all for switching to QR codes.

Though with all things considered, it could be worse. Events are basically Pokémon's version of DLC, and in fact could be considered the inspiration for all the DLC we now see across video games in general. My point is that somewhere along the line someone could come up with the "brilliant" idea to charge people $5 each in order to download an in-game event allowing us to capture a mythical Pokémon. And knowing myself, I'd probably do it. =/

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    As unfair as it is, I do miss having event-exclusive Pokémon like Mew and Deoxys during the Advance days. However, these came with a new location and mini story on their own so if they'd do event-exclusive Pokémon again they should at least bring this back, too. I think it would be fair if they had events like this again, but would distribute these Pokémon again at the 'end' of a generation (when new games are already announced).

Years
  • However, these came with a new location and mini story on their own so if they'd do event-exclusive Pokémon again they should at least bring this back, too.

For me, this was the main attraction of the event-only Pokemon, with places like Faraway Island and other special locations and stories, it made me want to get the event even more. I really hope Game Freak implement more stuff like this into other legendary and mythical Pokemon.

Eresse

Gladion Trash
    Years
  • Now that the games can connect to the Internet, I don't mind having event-only Pokémon, so long as they're not tied into being at a particular real-life place at a particular real-life time. There were so many events I missed in the earlier generations just because they weren't close enough geographically.

If event-only Pokémon start costing money, a la paid DLC, that's a completely different issue for me entirel, and I'd stand against it.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • QR codes may be the way to go, but I doubt if that's going to be a reality. I'm also against paid DLC though, why pay extra just to own a Pokemon.

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
  • My main problem with event-only Pokémon is that I live in the UK. The few events that aren't in the US or Japan only that make it to the UK are solely in London. This is a big country and not everyone in it lives in the hellhole that is London. For some of us, getting to London to obtain a Pokémon is as unreasonable as having to get on a plane to America or Japan.

SoaPuffball

Dat one guy who loves Diancie even though he is a
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2017
    No problem. Just make them a lot more common. Or, just stick with the QR Codes Magearna had. To protect it from people who get it wayy beyond the deadline, and didn't update their game, it will detect if the date is within the specified range of the event, else it will give out nothing. And for time travelers, it will say that if you changed the time 48 hours ago, it will not allow you to get the QR Code, making it function as a Wonder QR Code or something like that.

I might be ranting just because I wanna get my Diancie in Moon.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Maybe.

I went to the Celebi event back in my home town (when Pokemon Gold/Silver etc were out) to get a Celebi download. SO COOL. Soooo many kids showed up. And they were like, ALL KIDS, all around my age. They all just came for one thing... to experience the phenomenon that was Pokemon and to get a Celebi. You put your Gameboy into this cool machine and it downloaded Celebi onto it. IT WAS ACTUALLY SO COOOL. They also played Pokemon anime episodes on the big TV and we got balloons as well (I still have those balloons!) I think I was asking for help on catching Snorlax at the time... so that shows how far I got! I absolutely loved it though, and kids this generation are missing out on so much by not having that sort of thing. Pokemon Go sort of brought the love back for people - by having mini get togethers and larger get togethers but something like a rare Pokemon you can only get if you attend that event with your parents, yeah, that's cool, and should definitely happen.

Just have multiple events all around the world. :) Make this Pokemon so that it can't be traded and make the older fans (us) the volunteers for the events. Like, just give kids these days the amazing experience we had. And if we don't get the Pokemon, so what? As long as the kids get to experience the magic that's worth it ALL.

I would SO love to organise this kind of thing. Those people that worked there that day I went were so damn lucky lol

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/w..._event_Pokémon_distributions_in_Generation_II

^ I went to the Westfield (Galleria) one!!! :) ...Celebi that is. I can't believe that it went on that long though... the day I went it was SUPER packed. Goes to show how many people loved Pokemon back then!

Years
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 17, 2021
    Honestly, no. The event Pokemon should be introduced into the game after the main story at some point; perhaps a system where after you reach a certain milestone in your Pokedex the event legendary shows up. For example, in the inevitable D/P remakes after you catch Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina and have 100 or so Pokemon registered in your 'dex, Arceus shows up and you can battle and catch it. It'd be a much better system than we have now.

Events should be limited for the rarest of rare Pokemon; stuff like shiny legendaries could be given out at them.

Years
  • I hate Event-only Pokemon! For a person who loves to complete the Dex in my games, it got really annoying when I found out some weren't available unless through trades which were completely unreasonable! True, this hatred has gone down now that I've been able to figure out how to get news of these Events, but really?!

*sighs* Rant over, I need to go catch some more Pokemon!

Back