• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] how do i create a "UPDATE" for the game?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Well, you don't say what you're using but your posts are all about Essentials. When it comes to that, I can only speak for non encrypted projects.
First things first, some scripts don't play nice with not being in the save file from the get-go, because they are only set up once and don't create default values. Same with the pokedex. You can't add new mons in an update without wiping the player's save. Maybe some script related hoops to jump through to make that possible

As for the updates, you can zip up just the new and changed files and have your players drop them in. That's what I did for my game, Pokemon Daycare because I didn't want to make people have to download the whole game again for small script patches.

Alternatively, you can rezip your game as a whole and make it a new download, or replace the old one with the new one. Save files are based on the game's name so it really doesn't matter which approach you take.

You likely aren't a scripter, but if you do dabble in that, you need to make sure that any new properties you add also have a getter that creates a default value.
Code:
attr_accessor :new_var
def new_var
  @new_var=0 if !@new_var
  return @new_var
end
and now instead of freaking out because @new_var is an unexpected nil, this newly added property will start with a default value of 0.

Canal_do_Lontra

Oshawott uses Razor Shell
Years
Thanks for the help, I didn't know that, and I'm new in script, I am interested in Scripts, Thanks.

Back