• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Strategy games

Years
Which are your favorite strategy video games? I loved the StarCraft and the Commandos series. I also enjoyed the recent strategy game, Shadow Tactics: Blades Of The Shogun.

What about you? :laugh-squinted:

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I think the only one I've really gotten into in recent years are the Civilization games! I've played 5 and 6, and I really enjoyed them - they easily suck you in for hours and hours on end.

Just one more turn... and suddenly it's 3 AM.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
RTS is a completely different breed than say Turn based games, although online Multiplayer kind of turns it into a semi-RTS. Needless to say, all Strategy games are 4e or 4x in Explore, Expand, Exploit and Exterminate(Yes, even Starcraft or RTS). What sets RTS and tradititional 4x apart is the pace of play and, in Civilizations case, pure roll of the dice with respect to the map and your starting surroundings. In RTS, experienced players know the map beforehand, leaving a lot up to tactics and capitalizing on mistakes.

For me specifically, I've been playing Starcraft 1 and 2 since their inception but have long deferred from ladder due to not having the time for it and the fact I enjoy its other game modes. Command and Conquer also earns a nod but only for the first two iterations in Tiberian Dawn and Tiberian Sun(and Firestorm expansion). Never played Age of Empires but that is also worth noting. I've also played Civilization since Civ 2 Gold Edition(hence Civ 3, 4, 5 and 6).

Also will give a nod to Empire at War(and it's expansion. See spoiler below for why) and Axis&Allies(via Atari). Best mission is playing as Germany and invading Britain. Fun to steamroll with King Tigers...

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Fleurdelis

Endless pain and suffering
Years
Strategy games were my childhood, from Command and Conquer to Age of Empires, Rise of Nations, Civilization, Company of Heroes and StarCraft eventually.

In RTS, experienced players know the map beforehand, leaving a lot up to tactics and capitalizing on mistakes.

Not exactly the case with every RTS out there. Age of Empires and Rise of Nations are the biggest ones that come to mind. You can expect what a map has in terms of features but the map itself is randomly generated every skirmish.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Not exactly the case with every RTS out there. Age of Empires and Rise of Nations are the biggest ones that come to mind. You can expect what a map has in terms of features but the map itself is randomly generated every skirmish.

For C&C and especially in Starcraft, the maps were always the same. I suppose you are correct that its not all RTS games but at least in those two particular series, it's the same map.

Back