• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Realism and Video Game Logic

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
In the world of video games, there are many elements that logically make no sense for the sake of plot and gameplay mechanics. The internet community uses the term "video game logic" to describe these absurd elements. Here are a few examples below:

Spoiler:

In recent years, studios have been trying to become more grounded by avoiding more illogical video game behavior in order to make the players more immersive to that game's world. Some gamers say "good riddance" to video game logic, but others are bothered by it because video game logic brings charm on what makes video games different from realism.

To my fellow gamers from this subforum, are you fine with video game logic, do you wish it was more realistic, or are you fine with both?

Last edited:

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
Both come hand and hand I think. Game wouldnt be a game if it were a mirror of real life. Doing things for gameplay does just that, make more interesting gameplay.

Sometimes they try to explain this away too, like for the first picture you posted, the logic is that everyone uses a translator program on their omni-tool or something like that.

Short version, it's good to do within reason. Games would be to hard and boring otherwise.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I always love poking fun at video game logic and I love the memes, but they're usually just practical in terms of gameplay, so I understand things have to be a little less realistic sometimes for games to run smoothly.

I think it depends on the game and genre - in some, the more realism the better, but in others it would just be a hindrance. Nobody poops in (most) games that aren't life sims but do you really want the nuisance of finding a toilet to relieve your characters during games? :P

On another note though, one thing I LOVED about BoTW is it broke that 'invisible walls/barriers' trope that's usually present in most games. It was a certain level of realism and I was absolutely fascinated with that; the fact that you can scale any wall as long as you have the stamina to do so. I spent so much time climbing things literally just because I can, lol.

Back