• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga What got you into anime?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 15, 2022
I was kind of always into anime. When I was 4-5 years old, I remember seeing an episode of Dragon Ball. I didn't watch more anime until I started watching Pokemon, but what was pretty much it, until I was in 4th grade. I was staying up late and just happened to find Full Metal Alchemist (the original), and immediately loved it. From there I started watching it here and there.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 30, 2020
I want to say my first taste of anime was a film you may have heard of called My Neighbor Totoro. Dad bought it for us one Easter, and despite me not fully understanding what was going on, I couldn't stop watching the tape.

I'd say it saw its solidification with Pokemon (ironic considering my current feelings on it), Yu-Gi-Oh, and the occasional bits of Fullmetal Alchemist that I wasn't allowed to watch as a kid.

There was also the Funimation block Colours TV used to show; anybody remember that? It was sad when it went away, but they never did update their lineup, so I sadly could see why it went.

Azumanga Daioh may have completed the process, looking back, but I went back to Totoro and the Studio Ghibli library as an escape. It's always good to go back.

These days, I have interest in some new anime, but it does appear I'm more likely to look at older stuff that at least existed during my childhood years, either to revisit an old fave or see what I missed out on. Not because I hate the newer stuff, but because I feel more of a connection to that time period of anime for some reason.

Last edited:

Pig

Angry ecologist
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 16, 2023
My brother is solely responsible for all of it. Anime, games, if it wasn't for him I'd probably never play much outside of Pokemon on my DS, and the only anime I would have ever really liked would be the earlier Pokemon anime and Sailor Moon.

We met for the first time when we were 13 (save for one interaction when we were babies), and have been close ever since, so we'd spend hours after school every day talking on MSN Messenger about everything and he introduced me to a lot and jumpstarted my interest.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
when i realized that the shows i was watching (pokemon, inuyasha, sailor moon, etc) were all anime. though it didn't really start until middle school when i moved to florida because that's when i found others who were also into anime and so i had more influence.

Years
I got into anime back in 2008 when Ultra and Serbian channel began broadcasting anime in Serbian dub, among the anime that we're shown in Serbia we're Naruto, Bakugan and others thing that i can't remember.

Pokemon we're still consider the first thing that i know how unique style it was and what it was being made in.

I finally started watching anime around 2010 after the discovery to this day.

I cannot remember a lot.

(sorry for my poor English)

Last edited:

simone1234

Don't underestimate the enemy/opponent.
Years
I think i started anime watching when i was younger than 6, but i found out later what anime meant, for example Dragonball/ pokemon were one of the first i think or some others older ones, but i remember that i once watched at night something called

''Anime Night'' on mtv and on there i saw Inuyasha a great anime with a great song.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 6, 2020
first series that i watched was Dragon Ball but i didn't fully jump into anime until i watched FMA Brotherhood.

before that i was mainly just reading the manga volumes the library had - which was just Dragon Ball and Yu-Gi-Oh! .

Reading Blade

I got into it by Toonami,Expecially Gundam Wing and the like, Also I had access to Locomotion a latin american Channel that aired Anime most of the time even if it was in Portugues or Japanese I still eatched, Sometimes they had it Spanish, I saw Soul Hunter,Saber Marrionette and Neon Genesis Evagelion here first, I think i was only 6 or 7 when I did, I saw some stuff I shouldnt have by my age.

Years
Aside from mainstream dubbed anime that I watched when I was a kid (Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, Pokemon), anime never really interested me, and I'd even kind of avoided it as I got older. I've always liked things tangentially related to anime (like Pokemon), but I guess I always paid too much attention to some of the negative stereotypes that you see of anime.

Then about a month ago, a friend recommended a series to me, and I figured I'd give it a chance, so I downloaded Crunchyroll. It turned out the series wasn't even on there, but I'd already signed up for the free premium trial, so I wanted to find at least one series to watch. Fast forward to now and I've binged through 6 different series totaling ~120 episodes, so I guess there's no looking back. I never ended up watching that series my friend recommended, and to be honest, I don't even remember what it was, haha.

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
Years
I always liked Pokemon and Digimon as a kid. I think I told some friends in middle school and they introduced me to Blue Exorcist and that was when I entered the hole.

LatchoDives23

Official Nicktoons Fan of the Boards
Years
I was always drawn to the artstyle of anime, and that's probably what got me into it.

The first adult-oriented anime I watched was probably Your Lie in April. It was a really good show with a very depressing ending.

That said, most anime I watch are comedies, which reflects my taste in western cartoons.

Turtwig_

Turtwig Lover, Avid Writer
Years
Other than Pokemon, my first couple anime were Attack on Titan and Sword Art Online. I wasn't really into anime even after watching them, even though I loved those shows at the time.

Once I started taking Japanese classes at my university, I started watching Hunter x Hunter on a friend's recommendation and decided to go down that rabbit hole to practice listening comprehension.

StormInAJar

Tactician from Renais
Years
Flashback to a young Storm, who in his youth, hadn't quite come to terms with his sexuality (trust me, it is slightly pertinent to the story lol)

Suddenly thrust out of his comfort zone by having to attend a new school halfway through his freshman year, he struggles to fit in. He meets a girl, she had that nerdy flair that one could detect from miles away, and Storm does indeed take notice. She was cute, and he was desperate. He spies a small lanyard on her hip, and from it, dangles a swordsman dressed in a flashy black coat with two swords.

As a way to endear her to him, Storm went home and spent a long time searching for the name of the character, eventually discovering him to be Kirito, and he was from an....anime? Huh, Storm thought he'd try to watch the show so he would have a way to talk to the girl, and that's how I got into anime.

I wanted to be able to talk to a girl because I had a crush on her :P And now I'm gay. Not because of her or anything. Just mean to say her and I didn't really work out >.> We still talk about anime all the time, though.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Mar 19, 2019
the first anime which made me watch anime is probably fairytail. I personally think it is a great anime for getting started into the community as the animation style and the story is really addicting.myanimelist

Last edited:

tigertron

Pokémon Master
Years
Pokémon is what got me into anime, way back in October '99 (very specific!). Then I started watching Cardcaptors and Digimon and then went from there.

Back