• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you deal with telemarketers

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I use a service called NoMoRobo, which automatically intercepts any robocalls and cuts them off after one ring. It works extremely well.

pkmin3033

Well, I either don't pick up the phone, or I just keep saying "Sorry, what?" every time they finish saying something, forcing them to either repeat themselves or hang up...they get bored of it pretty quick.

"Can I speak to the home owner?"
    "Sorry, what?"
    "Is this the home owner?"
    "Sorry, what?"
    "AM-I-SPEAKING-TO-THE-HOME-OWNER?"
    "Sorr, what?"
    *click*

I know these people are just doing their jobs and we all have to make a living, but if they're going to choose a career that seems specifically designed to annoy people, they need to be prepared for the consequences.

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Years
  • Usually I just don't answer my phone if it's not a number I recognize. If it's important they'll leave a voicemail is my mentality.

That being said I actually have been on the other side of the phone, and while I wasn't technically a telemarketer, I was calling people encouraging them to go vote for stuff like mayoral elections and jazz. Lots of people don't answer. Had a couple people accuse me of spreading propaganda (note, I literally was just reminding them that the election was just the next day and that they should go out to vote if they're eligible), some people asked me if I was being paid by xyz party or candidate (I technically was being employed by a candidate but I wasn't campaiging for them in this call and I wasn't being paid since it was an internship so the answer was usually "no" since I wasn't being paid), and I had several people saying they received too many of these phone calls, that I was violating their right to privacy, etc. It's interesting but definitely not as stressful as fielding when constituents call the offices.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I know these people are just doing their jobs and we all have to make a living, but if they're going to choose a career that seems specifically designed to annoy people, they need to be prepared for the consequences.
    ^^^

My favourite is when they ask to speak to the owner of the business - and usually, to be polite, I just say something along the lines of "they're not in right now, can I leave a message" - and THEY sigh in frustration because they know I'm bullshitting them

If I actually let you harass the owner of the business and waste his time he'll literally cuss you out and hang up, so you're welcome

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
    Years
  • Ahh, telemarketers xD The trolls of the real world.

Best to be nice to them, but tell them you won't do business at the same time.

:P

A lady like me just can't be rude, ya know?....yep~

Back