• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Galar Speculation

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2021
    Hi Everyone.
    With the new gen reveal, I thought it'd be fun to share our speculation for what the region will include, given that we know it's most likely based on the UK.
    -What animals will the route 1 mammal and bird be based on? What about the Pikachu clone?
    -Will there be new eeveelutions? Seems possible given that eevee has been put in the spotlight with LGPE
    -Do we think the sword and shield motifs refer to the legendaries?-
    -Will there be a queen of the region?
    -I bet there will be a Shakespeare-inspired character or pokemon
    -What will the villainous team look like? Too bad the original team plasma has already used the knight theme, which would be perfect for a UK region in games called sword and shield
    -Possible name for the region professor? What are quintessentially british trees?
    -Legendaries are sometimes inspired by the same culture as the region they appear in (e.g. gen 2 legendaries, the tapus in gen 7) but oftentimes they're not (gen 5 has an east asian-inspired trio and a french-inspired one, gen 6 has a nordic-inspired trio) so what inspiration do we think the legendaries will draw from? Maybe celtic lore?

What are everybody's thoughts?

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I think the legendaries should be wolves considering the logos?
    I would love if the bad guy is the king/ queen of the region.

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
    Years
  • In the Direct Trailer, there seemed to be stones with symbols similar to runes, so if I had to make a wild guess on what the villainous team might be, I would think that the team had some kind of theme related to magic/the Occult or related to the ancient Celts.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2020
    I think there could/should be either references to or a character based off of Isambard Kingdom Brunel.
    There's a city with quite a bit of steam around and IBK was a prominent person around the time of the industrial revolution, building/designing train stations, bridges and boats. Many of those designs either being "first evers" or "biggest in the world" at the time of construction.

There also a lot of railways on the map, so a building vaguely like Bristol Temple Meads, or a bridge similar to one of his designs would be easily fit in.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I think that the King/Queen of the region will probably be King Arthur or someone inspired by him. If it was the Elite 4, they could be based on the Knights of the Round Table.

In UK history, there is a lot of Civil War like places. I think it is possible that the Evil Teams could be based on the families there were involved with the War of Roses, but that might be a little dark for the games, even though they have been getting darker story wise. The story could also be based on the legend of Robin Hood or King Arthur, there are so many possible scenarios that could be included that it is extremely hard to say before we get more info, but I am certain there will be some type of Civil War. Kalos and Unova had history of Civil Wars, so I think it will be amazing to actually stop a Civil War before it decimated the region.

As for the wolves, I am pretty sure they are both wolves. Although one could be a Dragon or Wyvern I guess. Anyway, I can't really think of anything better than the legend of Hati and Skoll and if there is a third wolf, possibly Fenrir. I know that they are Norse Mythology, but with it being so close to Kalos and Kalos being inspired by the World Tree to most, I think the legends based on the Three Wolves would be a great story, especially if the war in Kalos was the Galar Region and was split apart after the weapon was unleashed.

I think there will be at least 1 Eeveelution. Dragon would be the best fit I think. However I am hoping for 2 or 3 so we can start finishing the line up. If we get a new type which is unlikely, we will get one for a new type. Not only because of the spotlight on Eevee with the LGE, but also because he had a ton of Eevee related stuff in Alola.

I an thinking the Prof. could be Holly, Aspen, Hawthorne, or Beech. I'd say Alder, but we already have a champion. I think the Prof. will study the bonds of Pokemon and Humans and possibly sports. I think this because there seems to be a sports theme and the Direct said the region was built by Pokemon and Humans working as one. This could tie in nicely with both Kalos and Unova since there is a long history between France, UK and the USA. It would also be the opposite of Alola. but instead of staying with tradition they move to a more advanced future.

I don't know what the Pika Clone could be this time around and I also don't know what the bird and mammal could be. I do wish for a Snowy Owl as the main bird, but I will talk about that in the other thread about the pokemon we want to see.

Edit: After reading more about UK Folklore and there being a number of named Black Wolves, the wolves are likely based on them, but they could still have aspects of the three wolves.

Edit: The Puffin Bird will most likely be the regional bird since it is the most popular bird in the UK. And the Pika Clone could be a Pine Marten.

Last edited:

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • I'm curious as to know if the Aether family originated from Galar, everything about them just screams British.

Back