• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Tool✓] Question about Advance map and custom OW sprites

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
Years
  • Hi, so I have a question about advance map.
    Sometimes when it tries to load a custom OW sprite it comes up with an error about something not being a pointer, and another error I can't remember.
    This all happens when the sprite is selected, and the sprite appears corrupted in AM, (and to clarify, this is 1.9.2).
    So, why is this an issue to me. Well, when a map with said sprite is selected the map crashes.
    I had already put in: Music, Sprites (OW and Battle), and ASM if this helps find out the problem, (I used Overworld Manager by the way, which repoints the sprite table). The sprites were also put over 16x16 sprites (the inserted sprites were 16x32).

So what's going on? Is there a certain order I should do things to avoid this?

Last edited:
    Years
  • I believe it is because of the Kimona's Overworld Manager, due to the overworlds using repointed palettes.
    As the result, Advanced Map can't read the palette. But if you test it in-game, there won't be any problem.

========
    If the Advanced Map crashes everytime you select the edited sprites.
    Try to open your ROM with the Overworld Manager first, if the application immediately closes.
    Then your ROM is unhealthy. I assume that you keep on spamming sprite imports and save.

This problem can be ignored, if you patiently import the sprites.
    Like 5 at a time, save it, close the Overworld Manager
    Then open your ROM with the Overworld Manager again. If it immediately closes again, try 4 at a time and so on.
    If Overworld Manager still able to read your ROM. Save it as your backup then continue importing the sprite.

As long as your Overworld Manager is able to read your ROM, then they will be selectable in Advanced Map.
    Just ignore the palette errors. It will be healthy in-game.

Last edited:

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
    Years
  • I believe it is because of the Kimona's Overworld Manager, due to the overworlds using repointed palettes.
    As the result, Advanced Map can't read the palette. But if you test it in-game, there won't be any problem.

========
    If the Advanced Map crashes everytime you select the edited sprites.
    Try to open your ROM with the Overworld Manager first, if the application immediately closes.
    Then your ROM is unhealthy. I assume that you keep on spamming sprite imports and save.

This problem can be ignored, if you patiently import the sprites.
    Like 5 at a time, save it, close the Overworld Manager
    Then open your ROM with the Overworld Manager again. If it immediately closes again, try 4 at a time and so on.
    If Overworld Manager still able to read your ROM. Save it as your backup then continue importing the sprite.

As long as your Overworld Manager is able to read your ROM, then they will be selectable in Advanced Map.
    Just ignore the palette errors. It will be healthy in-game.

Thanks, crashing wasn't also a problem on specific sprites. But some of the sprites that crashed the game didn't crash OWM, and I've had no problem with the sprites with corrupted pals in AM. When I say corrupted, said sprites appear as lines in AM, and give those errors when the sprite is shown. As well, the sprites never crashed until I fooled around with AM as far as I know. The sprites that crashed OWM had yellow backgrounds and appeared corrupted.
    I'll try inserting the sprites 2 at a time next time.

Last edited:
    Back