• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PGPC] #5: That's the Spirit!

Years
Welcome everyone to the new Pokémon General Polls and Chats series (aka PGPC for short)! PGPC is a new weekly event stemming from past series here in Pokémon General like the PokéPOTW and What Would You Do?, where we throw a topic at you every week to discuss and decide over. Sometimes these threads will be a deep dive into a certain parts of the franchise, or something as simple as pitting a couple Pokemon against each other to see who are your favorites! With something a little different going on every week, it's always a good idea to stop by and see what we're discussing in each PGPC!

Now with all that said, this week's topic is:

"What makes a Ghost-type a Ghost-type?"

In the spirit of Halloween (pun intended?), we look at our ghostly friends while we scratch our heads as to what exactly makes them tick. Some Pokémon like Yamask and Phantump are clearly stated to be reincarnated forms of humans that have died, yet other Ghost-types like Frillish, Oricorio, and Decidueye just seem to be regular Pokémon with an interesting typing. And do all Pokémon turn into Ghost types when they die, or are places like the Pokémon Tower and Mt. Pyre their final resting place? There are lots of things to consider here, so what do you think makes a Pokémon a Ghost-type?

Previous PGPC threads
#1 - #2 - #3 - #4

Years
What the majority of Ghost types have in common is that they're generally spirits in their true form and they have no physical body to speak of (with a few exceptions). So that's the one thing that sticks out in my mind.

Secondly, and I don't know whether or not this is just me, but I feel like most Ghost types have some sort of darker story behind them. Like with Yamask, Gengar, Mimikyu, Banette... and none of it is particularly positive, either. I'm not sure whether being a vengeful spirit is a requirement for the most part, but it's certainly a somewhat common trend.

Back