• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[TUTORIAL] Decomp - From start to finish

Ephraim225

Freaky Frillish Guy
Years
About step 12, could you post exactly what lines I'm supposed to remove from src/pokemon.c? I'm a little confused is all, I don't think my file matches yours exactly. Anyways, thanks in advance for the tutorial, I can already tell it'll be extremely helpful.

TheRisingSean

Back, and better than ever
Years
  • Age 20
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 5, 2023
About step 12, could you post exactly what lines I'm supposed to remove from src/pokemon.c? I'm a little confused is all, I don't think my file matches yours exactly. Anyways, thanks in advance for the tutorial, I can already tell it'll be extremely helpful.

Hiya there, the screenshot below should be exactly what need to delete

Ephraim225

Freaky Frillish Guy
Years
You mean this part right?
Spoiler:

I commented it out and got an error while compiling so I might be doing something wrong.

Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2023
Can someone please help me figure out exactly what I need to remove from the last file (pokemon.c lines 4590-4630)? My "<<<<<<<HEAD" is on line 4560 and the ">>>>>>> " is on line 4646. Do I just remove all of that or is it more specific then that?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 26, 2023
Hi, I was able to successfully merge pokemon_expansion without causing errors by accepting current changes in pokemon.c!

Hope this helps!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 4, 2019
When i follow these instructions exactly, i end up not creating a .gba file and i dont know what i did wrong. can someone help? the following is the entire output after i type "make"

Spoiler:

TheRisingSean

Years
  • Age 20
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 5, 2023
Bruh i have never seen that before holy shit. try starting again from scratch, bud

TheRisingSean

Years
  • Age 20
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 5, 2023
Can someone please help me figure out exactly what I need to remove from the last file (pokemon.c lines 4590-4630)? My "<<<<<<<HEAD" is on line 4560 and the ">>>>>>> " is on line 4646. Do I just remove all of that or is it more specific then that?

I commented it out and got an error while compiling so I might be doing something wrong.

"They need to keep battle engine version of the function in Pokémon. C and delete the mon expansion one"

Ephraim225

Freaky Frillish Guy
Years
Alright, I got the ROM to compile, thank you. Just so there's no further confusion I'll explain what to delete from pokemon.c

So in pokemon.c there should be a section that looks like this:
Spoiler:

Every line I've highlighted in green needs to be deleted or commented out. Then it should be okay.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 4, 2019
ah i started from scratch, and deleted what @Ephraim225 said they deleted, and it worked for me this time. i think the tutorial is a little different than the latest versions. as an example, the general.h pokemon number for me was in /include/global.h . also @TheRisingSean, you are missing a bracket for a color for step 12 at the start. thank u all for ur help with this!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
This is great! I was wanting to get started with this, and now I should be able to hop right in. Now we just need people to upload the cool features they have for themselves to a central place (preferably this site) and the Gen 8 stuff made and then the hacks can really get going in full force.

Years
Thanks for this tutorial! I'm happy these guidelines are starting to trickle in, will make it easier for the average users like myself to give it a(nother) shot.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
I made it through all but the last step.

When trying to pull the pokemon expansion from egg, (this step):
$ git pull EGG pokemon_expansion/COLOR]
I get this error
fatal: invalid refspec 'pokemon_expansion/COLOR]'

Any idea whats going on here?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
Hello, TheRisingSean here, and today - with the help of Dizzyegg, I'm going to walk you - a noob, though the process of: Installing git, forking a repo, creating remotes, merging, and resolving merge conflicts.
Now the end goal of this tutorial is to have a local repo with all off Dizzyegg's major branches (Item expansion, Pokémon expansion and Battle engine) all merged together with no issues. NOTE: This tutorial was written in mind for those with little to no experience with decomp before, some things in this tutorial could be difficult to comprehend, don't hesitate to ask for help here on pokecommunity, RHH or the pret server (all linked below) without further ado, let's get cracking..!

Hi, thank you for the guide, I got everything up and running thanks to you. B after spending the day getting set up, I added some tweaks for your guide fixing errors and such.
--STEP 3 old--
Spoiler:

========================================
Added text for easy copy/paste
--STEP 3 new--
Spoiler:

--STEP 8 old--
Spoiler:

Just added a / to "your"
--STEP 8 new--
Spoiler:

--STEP 10 old--
Spoiler:

Changed pokemon expansion into pokemon_expansion for consistency. Reorded text to avoid confusion.
--STEP 10 new--
Spoiler:

--STEP 11 old--
Spoiler:

Changed pokemon expansion & pokemon_expansion to pokemon_expansion for consistency. Changed "file explorer to Notepad++, since they should already know what it is and have it to use, and way to many dummies would get confused.
--STEP 11 new--
Spoiler:

--STEP 12 old--
Spoiler:

Fixed pokemon_expansion, added to open in Notepad++, updated Ctrl+f line for clearity, added (shown in image below) for the last edit, added some "" for the first note, added color to all copy/pate text, and a few other tweaks/fixes.
--STEP 12 new--
Spoiler:

Other Notes: Battle Engine and caused a text file to open with the contents of the spoiler below. This was not mentioned, but just closing it is all that is needed:
Spoiler:

For the 5th part of the conflit, what you have listed is no longer a conflict, but there is another part where there is a conflict instead. I'll let you decide how it should be fixed and handled, but I just let it force the commit through Git gui.
Also a link to PoryMap would be helpful too.

I made it through all but the last step.

When trying to pull the pokemon expansion from egg, (this step):
$ git pull EGG pokemon_expansion/COLOR]
I get this error
fatal: invalid refspec 'pokemon_expansion/COLOR]'

Any idea whats going on here?

Try using git pull EGG pokemon_expansion

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
Thanks for the help!

Just a heads up for the tutorial, I believe that in step 12, the fourth edit should actually be to the file include/global.h (not src/data/pokemon/global.h)

TheRisingSean

Years
  • Age 20
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 5, 2023

Hi, thank you for the guide, I got everything up and running thanks to you. B after spending the day getting set up, I added some tweaks for your guide fixing errors and such.

You absolute legend you didnt need too do that! I'll add your edits to the tutorial and credit you, thank you so much holy shit

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Apr 15, 2024
Spoiler:

i-i dont know what i did, but the "git pull EGG battle_engine_v2" it gives me errors.
i tried to do all again by deleting the first thing, but it says me "pulling is not possible because you have unmerged files."
and i dont know what to do
also, the "master" thing now says "master:MERGING" but it does nothing, i thing i messed up with all and i have to try again with another account...
what do i do?
well, i deleted my thing but the "git pull EGG battle_engine_v2" still doesn't work.
"automatic merge failed; fix conflicts and then commit the result"
but, what does that means?
sorry, but i'm new at this and...
i dont know how to do a lot of things yet...
the merging conflicts are in "battle_util.c" and "battle_interface.c"

Last edited:
Back