• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[RMXP] Different Style of Play

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    Well, I was thinking about making an RPG Maker XP fangame of the Ace Attorney series. But there is one pretty major hurdle to jump over first of all; the visuals. Now, in RPG Maker XP, you can actually move around, but in Phoenix Wright you can't. You're just given a character, and you can talk, present, move or examine the scene/character.

Here's an example.
    phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-2-20060510021251963%5B1%5D_1169087221.jpg

You see you only have one character, who is animated a little, and there isn't any involvement of arrow key moving your own character, just conscious choices and the like?

I'm slightly baffled as to how I'd do this. If anybody could help me, I'd be very grateful. Thank you.

h POKE

angry kid and a keyboard
    Years
    • CT
    • Seen Jan 17, 2016
    RMXP isn't really, in my opinion, a one-size-fits-all video game. I don't see why you couldn't make a project like this a lot easier (on yourself) by using a program for different kinds of games. THAT shouldn't be hard, because there are tons of programs for all kinds of genres out there.

It's your choice, but is RMXP the best fit for a Phoenix Wright game?

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    What else is there? RPG Maker XP is a powerful tool for making games. Game Maker would take a while to get running, and Sphere would play at my complete lack of knowledge with JavaScript.

Empire

Lurking since 2008
    Years
  • Well yeah, I've played all of the Phoenix Wright, Including the Apollo Justice games, and you don't get to walk around or anything. It's not as interactive as games like "Pokemon" So i don't think it would be a good idea to go with RPG Maker. You could try Game Maker. Or if you are really desperate to make a game. You could always 'try' learning JavaScript. Even though in your last post it mentions you not knowing much/very little about it.

partyghoul2000

Intermediate Game Designer
    Years
    • Age 36
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    I image flash would be good for making a Phoenix Wright game. But you'd have to know a bit of actionscript.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I suppose if you really wanted to use RPG Maker, you could manage with some rather complicated events (one even per case, say). Then put the Player Start on the same page, and have the first event autorun (like the start of Pokémon Essentials).

Might be interesting to do.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    No tool is right for every job. Especially in this case. Give Game Maker a go.

Game Maker would take a while to get running
    What's this? This would take longer in anything else.

Back