• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Graphics Rating Thread [READ THE FIRST POST. D:<]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocout

TINA FEY!
Years
  • Thanks for the C+CC mate, depth has always been a problem for me, and that worsens because I'm a stickler for B/W tags. XD

^ One of the things that really stand out for me here is the text. Brilliant placement and it blends in perfectly with the rest of the tag. Colours are top-notch too. I love the colour lighting (I could never do that kind of stuff since soft-brush is the only thing I know XD). Focal placement is great and flows with everything else. Only thing bothering me here is the warm colours of the focal itself. I don't think the render blends in very well with the tag's colour pallette and I feel very iffy if I compared looks between the rest of the tag and the render. Its a very nice tag though. ;) 8/10

deathgr5.png

A tag I made a few months ago and haven't really been commented yet. I have this thing about crack textures. One of my better colour tags btw. XD

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
  • Thanks for the C+CC mate, depth has always been a problem for me, and that worsens because I'm a stickler for B/W tags. XD

^ One of the things that really stand out for me here is the text. Brilliant placement and it blends in perfectly with the rest of the tag. Colours are top-notch too. I love the colour lighting (I could never do that kind of stuff since soft-brush is the only thing I know XD). Focal placement is great and flows with everything else. Only thing bothering me here is the warm colours of the focal itself. I don't think the render blends in very well with the tag's colour pallette and I feel very iffy if I compared looks between the rest of the tag and the render. Its a very nice tag though. ;) 8/10

deathgr5.png

A tag I made a few months ago and haven't really been commented yet. I have this thing about crack textures. One of my better colour tags btw. XD

O___O
    Sorry for no critique there doesnt seem to be anything wrong with it.

10/10

20a84cz.jpg

Kinda big, but I decided to put it here anyways~

SUTANRII

The New Guy
    Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2010
    3/10

Too big and the black/white is alright but it doesn't seem like you did much with the image except change the color or maybe paste images on top of another image.

FireEmblemSig.jpg

My attempt at something a bit more advanced lol

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • @SUTANRII: Nice tag dude, I [heart] the effects you put in! I also love the depth you've added with the splatters and C4D's. The only thing that irks me is the typography, which, in my opinion, shouldn't be so far away from the focal. There is already some C4D's taking up space there and it's better to blend it nicely with the focal anyway. But, it's really nice anyway. :3

de3bx1.png

Oh, and btw, they're not nipples - just off coloured spots.. XD;

Here's mine :3

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Alrighty, I'm not here for critique but just to throw my opinions around, meaning that the next poster gets a "wildcard" and doesn't need to offer critique. So, anyway, Sutrainni, I'll give you another review since I quite like this tag.

FireEmblemSig.jpg

The render first off has no actoin, thus creating little flow which already puts you at a disadvantage when making the tag as you don't have an obvious direction in which to position flow. But I say disadvantage and not a flaw in the tag itself as you've pulled it off quite nicely. But there are some things that urked me a bit. First would be the text, nice placement, overused font in which I feel,didn't suit the banner as well as it could. Birth of a hero is a really overused font and in my opinion, is best used in typography and not used in banners. It doesn't kill this tag or anything, just a minor observation from a nit picker. The clipping mask splatter you have around the wings, could have been pulled off better. The wings should have been erased a little with a splatter brush to make the effect flow. The lighting is nicely placed, just very strong, the tag could have done with another gradient map to blend it all better. Purple was a bad choice of colour, very vibrant when you have a nice soft palette, a very subtle red like the belt would have been a better idea. Other than that though, the tag is nicely composed and an improvement on your other work indefinately.
    6/10

de3bx1.png

Well firstly, I wouldn't go with borders, that style went cold a while ago. Anyway, you did the background quite well, bar the transpareny I notice, it would have been much nicer if you stuck with the entire background having being smudged. What this tag lacks most is depth, I'll be making something on depth soon where I'll explain it in detail but in this case, you need to smudge the render with the background otherwise it has a serious 2D effect. Almost like you pasted a render on a background and ended up with something that just look like 2 seperate images not blending rather than a flowing tag. In saying that, I really like the colour in this one, I think that maybe the red in yoko is a little too dark and should be more like tha background. Smudge this tag, blend colours better and I'd be rating this much higher. 5/10
    Tagging is such a large thing nowadays, it's quite hard to keep in the loop. I've seen some seriously talented tag artists who would put anyone at PC to shame with a flick of their finger, the only reason I score kinda low is because of that fact. So don't take it too personally. But basically, work on those things and I'd be rating a lot higher, good work though.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • Putting aside the fact I don't much like the render, the colours don't match each other very well at all. If the purple was a red or dark blue, I think it would look better. The text could do with some improving too. 50/100

This is the first proper graphicy thing I've done on gimp:
    zoruafinal.png

What do you think?

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • The style is very unique. I've seen it once or twice before and they always turn out very well made. This is also the case. The colour scheme you chose, in my opinion, is very appropriate for the piece and it blends very well. The effect that you used to surround Zorua itself is really unique because the smudge actually overlays the render and gives off a star effect.

The only problem I can notice is that there is too much overlay with the smudge and the image. It swamps it in a way and makes it too entwined with each other. Next time maybe try smudging the edges of the image and blending it in not to far into the image, then you could get a cleaner effect. Overall, well done on this piece though. If I were to give it a number rating, it would be 15/20.

Here is my piece. I was trying to use the pen tool for the first time ever so if anyone could give me any tips, that would be so useful. The stock can be found here and credit goes to josemanchado from deviantART.

Last edited:

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • @ Serene: I like the tag, though it seems a bit plain. I don't understand the purpose of the green arrow on the right, but the piece itself is coherent and nice. The line weight on the pen-tooling could thicker as the current thin weight doesn't move the eyes as much as a thicker one would imo. Though, all of my pen tool experience is in Illustrator so I don't know if it is easy to change the line weight in photoshop. 8/10

Anyways, C&CC on my new sig?
    MimiruSig.jpg

I know the text seems weird, but I'm no good a text. =/

Last edited:

Aizuke

[b]long sword style[/b]
    Years
  • Muyiwa; I think it's pretty interesting, a bit plain, like it's lacking something, but if you add anything else, it'll seem too cluttered. It's effective in the sense of simplicity and the pen tooling works quite well.

8/10

~

Silver; to be honest, the way it looks like it's been made is too simple. The right side seems really empty and it basically looks like you've made a background, added a render to it, put a glow effect around it and slapped some text on top. Although I'm not sure what your level of graphics making is, so sorry if this sounds a bit harsh coming from a veteran. But just to point out, outline glow doesn't really work well, unless you can somehow make it blend in your banner, and I think the render would look better in the middle of the banner, so then the right side doesn't seem too empty. A bit of lighting and depth would look quite well, along with some nice textures, or C4D's since it does seem a bit too plain and simple.

4/10

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jan 22, 2013
    Anybody mind giving this C+C and a rating? It's my entry for the SotW:
    sotw.png

I can take any kind of C+C, really, so don't be afraid if you think you sound too harsh.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • I'm feeling the tag might be a tad bright cause it is making the edges look really defined and sharp. Also, you have heaps of contrast on the focal, and then like the top and bottom is a bit cloudy, I think you could add some of that cloudiness over more of the tag. The tag is a little messy, but that's ok. And I reckon you bring out more of the warm colours in it.

tumblr_l552avPCHx1qcql6lo1_500.png

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • moments.
    I feel that the focal of the signature has good flow towards it, and that you've created the signature to go with that flow, which looks really nice. The focal has good lighting to it as well. The only thing that bothers me is the bold colour and sharpness of the C4D you're used. The colour just seems out of place. The light ball things over the focal also distract me. If you got rid of those two ball things from over the focal, or made it a big ball of light and lowered the opacity a little bit more, it would look very nice.

ichigo.jpg

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
  • Alternative, yourrender doesnt show much action thats the first thing I notice, that creates no flow in the tag. Your also doing this mirror thing in the tag with the c4d's which in my opinion is cluttering it up a lot. The colors look nice and so is the text placment but the backround is kinda furry looking, which looks quite odd. Anyways I'd give it a 6/10, a fair score.

16krvb4.png

I'd probably should have cleaned this up a bit more but whatever :D

Gazza

Heaven-Piercer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 25, 2016
    It just seems cluttered and untidy but you said it yourself. you should have cleaned it up.
    Other than that it's pretty good. 7/10
    Stop being lazy. :P

Little tag I just made.
    Honest opinions/ratings please. ;D

rl2Aj.png

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    It's a little too busy imo. The colours also clash quite a bit because there's too many primary colours. The flow is jumping all over the place, it should be going with the direction of the leg but instead there's no flow being created from it. The techniques you used are cool, but really not well placed in this tag. The render doesn't blend at all and the background is just very messy and jumpy.
    3/10

And with that, I hereby close this two year old, 91 page, almost 2,300 posts thread to make way for a new one coming very very soon.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back