• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Unova seems to be a lot more modern than it's predecessors.

Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2011
    I've been careful not to spoil anything for myself regarding the game, but I have seen a few screenshots. The cities look a lot more like cities, which is a nice additions. I've also seen a picture of a bridge in which looked significantly more modern than the bridges in past games. (Basically a few logs tied together crossing one mass of land with another...) I find this a very positive addition to the series, and probably would not have came to be if not for the graphical increase in Black/White.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    Well first off, it is obviously more modern in the graphics aspect because the technology used is better. And I believe from a within-the-game appeal, it is speculated that this Gen is at least 5 years after Sinnoh. A lot can change in 5 years...

Years
  • Well I'm guessing Unova was inhabited later than the Old 4 (XD that's what I call them)

If you look at Kanto, it looks pretty ancient and Sinnoh as well. Hoenn and Johto not so much, but Hoenn was an island region so I could be wrong.

Most things in Unova are new, if you look at most areas look very new, like they're still getting used to things in Unova. Trainers aren't very experienced either, unlike Kanto where hey get serious very quickly and know a lot about Pokemon and battling.

Plus they raised the age for being trainer, as I recall you are 15 as of start.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Well the original Kanto looked more old than the Remake Kanto so I'm guessing it's only the new graphics and style of depicting the cities that make it look modern.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    As people have said, the graphics is probably the main reason. As for the designs of the region, my only thoughts are that it maybe reflects the fact that America appears more commercial than Japan, which, reflected in the past games, seems to be more traditional. That's the only thing I can think of besides the time difference as somebody mentioned.

Ultraviolence

alt account for Eros
    Years
    • Age 28
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 3, 2019
    As far as I know, Unova is based on New York City.
    It's a good design choice, but I liked the more traditional regions like Johto and Sinnoh.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    If I remember right, wasn't it said before its unveiling that Unova would be more advanced and modern with their technology and whatnot than any of the previous regions? Or was that just a "speculation" at the time?

The end result definitely has a lot to do with the graphics though, like Castelia City for example. It actually looks like a city compared to the previous "big cities".

TehPsychicTypeMaster

"I See Greatness In You..."
    Years
  • First of all Unova is much farther from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh, which should describe its diverse "culture" It's mainly based off of New York City, but its generally a mix of rural and industral. It has bridges, and subway which really shows how modernized it is. Unova has to be years in the future of technology compared to the other regions.

olih

Who says you can't go home?
    Years
  • I think Unova is more modern because they want to base it off the U.S. The other regions were more like Japan, but Unova, I heard many people say, is based off of Manhatten.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Modernity seems to increase with each new region, imo. Kanto seemed pretty old, but in the remakes it looked a lot more modern still not as modern as say Sinnoh to me. Johto probably around the same in modernity as Kanto. Hoenn, well I liked Hoenn it seemed more like a tropical paradise with some modern parts to it. Somewhat like vacation resorts that have all things modern needed, but still nature and relaxation are the main points; which is the feeling I got with Hoenn.

So to sum it up regions ranked by modernity (most to least): Unova, Sinnoh, Hoenn, Kanto/Johto...Though I don't think Sinnoh is that far behind Unova. I think Unova is like Sinnoh just upgraded, not a huge difference like rural vs. urban.

Years
  • First of all Unova is much farther from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh, which should describe its diverse "culture" It's mainly based off of New York City, but its generally a mix of rural and industral. It has bridges, and subway which really shows how modernized it is. Unova has to be years in the future of technology compared to the other regions.
    Johto and Kanto had the Magnet train though which is kind of like a subway...
    Though I think they tried to keep the Japan regions traditional but decided to not do the same with the Us regions as Japan is more traditional than the US...
    Japan though has tons of Modern cities.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Johto and Kanto had the Magnet train though which is kind of like a subway...
    Though I think they tried to keep the Japan regions traditional but decided to not do the same with the Us regions as Japan is more traditional than the US...
    Japan though has tons of Modern cities.
    I'm still waiting for an ultra-modern mega city in pokemon that is on the same magnitude as tokyo or greater osaka (kobe, osaka, kyoto)...I'd prefer the latter. Three cities linked by subway/road/maglev in a game that are each as big as Castelia and Nimbasa City.

Years
  • I'm still waiting for an ultra-modern mega city in pokemon that is on the same magnitude as tokyo or greater osaka (kobe, osaka, kyoto)...I'd prefer the latter. Three cities linked by subway/road/maglev in a game that are each as big as Castelia and Nimbasa City.
    It's ironic but the city based on Tokyo is Saffron...maybe if they have a return to kanto with BW style cities they will do that...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Just a note: Don't forget we're talking about the Unova region here, not other regions and what they could possibly be based on to make them more modern.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    How many modern cities does Unova have? If I'm right, Castelia is the only city that has the ultra-modern look to it?

Back