• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Intro] Hello Fellow PokeFans!!!

Years
  • Hello everyone! Brand new here on Pokecommunity, but I've been a massive Pokefanatic since before I was old enough to even start grade school. Pretty much my entire life I've loved Pokemon. For as long as I can remember it has been a huge part of my life. I will turn 29 coming up this January and some of my best childhood memories I owe to the Pokemon universe. I can clearly remember my pops picking me up early from montessori and elementary school as a little kid and driving into WotC to buy all sorts of Pokemon stuff. He would let me skip days of school entirely, unbeknownst to my mom at work all day, whenever a new card set would be due to drop. :D

We were never a very wealthy family but he would always make sure to somehow find ways to afford spending hundreds of dollars at a time on those trips. It was our thing for a lot of years and I cherish that time and those memories with him. We would buy booster boxes and other box sets and sit in the mall parking lot in his truck ripping open booster pack after booster pack, joyfully talking about what treasured cards we'd find inside and if we had ever used it in our game boy games and if we thought they were strong or not. Afterwards we would go back inside the mall and trade doubles with anyone sitting outside WotC with their card collections laid out in front of them. We would trade for all kinds of other cards we hadn't already collected, including many Japanese pocket monster cards. I'll never forget this kid I met one time there, who all he wanted was as many sandshrew cards as I would fork over. He let me trade for any of his cards, which was an extensive amount of Japanese cards I was in awe over. I had so many sandshrew cards and walked away with the coolest cards giving them to him, including 3 or 4 rare holos, all of which I have to this day.

I now have a massive card collection that I've worked on since the original base set was first released and have played/completed all the official games up through gen 6. I can remember my dad taking me to stand in the longest line I've ever seen at a theater to this day waiting to get in to see Pokemon: The First Movie. I still have my promotional card that they would give out as you walked into the theater to see the movie. The energy in the air that day was something I'll never forget. That feeling I've always felt when being a part of Pokemon fans coming together over the thing they love and the way it brings good people together is the reason I love everything Pokemon.

Now as a dad myself, with my own 6 year old daughter. I'm getting to share that feeling with my own child the way my dad and I did when I was a kid. I've found it to be incredibly nostalgic and heartwarming getting to see her eyes light up looking through my cards and her excited voice when finding out they would all be hers to add to her small collection she's begun to work on herself one day. Her anxious and excited behavior every time we take a trip to the local card shop and the anticipation to get more Pokemon, is priceless for a life long fan like myself.

Across 3 generations now in my family, Pokemon has spanned time and distance and bonded us stronger then most hobbies have the ability to bond loved ones. Realizing the impact it's had in my life has shown me that I should reach out to try and be a part of a bigger community of fans due to my renewed interest in the Pokemon universe as a whole recently, especially the games. Thanks to Pokemon Unite's release and a new friend I met playing Unite that turned me onto the many hacked versions of Pokemon games for emulators. My eyes were opened to a whole new world of experiences with Pokemon games. While searching for more information on hacked versions and fan favorite choices brought me here first.

I'm now looking to become an active and helpful member of this community here with plenty of my own experience and knowledge of Pokemon. After spending time skimming this forum and a couple other similar forums, It's clear this one has a layout that is personally the most favorable. It's also obvious that there are many like-minded Pokefans here who are invested into the Pokemon universe as heavily as I am, some heavier even.

Happy to be here with all of you guys and to join a helpful, knowledgeable, and passionate community of folks. Will be great to make many new friends with a strong shared interest. ^.^

Last edited:
    Years
  • Welcome to the forums Jabrolski!

I can clearly remember my pops picking me up early from montessori and elementary school as a little kid and driving into WotC to buy all sorts of Pokemon stuff. He would let me skip days of school entirely, unbeknownst to my mom at work all day, whenever a new card set would be due to drop. :D We were never a very wealthy family but he would always make sure to somehow find ways to afford spending hundreds of dollars at a time on those trips. It was our thing for a lot of years and I cherish that time and those memories with him. We would buy booster boxes and other box sets and sit in the mall parking lot in his truck ripping open booster pack after booster pack, joyfully talking about what treasured cards we'd find inside and if we had ever used it in our game boy games and if we thought they were strong or not. Afterwards we would go back inside the mall and trade doubles with anyone sitting outside WotC with their card collections laid out in front of them.

Now as a dad myself, with my own 6 year old daughter. I'm getting to share that feeling with my own child the way my dad and I did when I was a kid. I've found it to be incredibly nostalgic and heartwarming getting to see her eyes light up looking through my cards and her excited voice when finding out they would all be hers to add to her small collection she's begun to work on herself one day. Her anxious and excited behavior every time we take a trip to the local card shop and the anticipation to get more Pokemon, is priceless for a life long fan like myself.

Your dad sounds very nice 😊
    Also nice to see you're passing it on with your own child =)

I've never really been into TCG all that much tbh, but that was a very nice read 😊
    Might've gotten slightly teary eyed too...

Also sounds like you'll be putting the Fan Games section to good use ^.^

Years
  • Appreciate you taking the time to read such a wall of text. I went through and edited it as much as I could working from my smartphone. Now it won't look so discouraging to bother with reading hopefully. As for my old man, oh man he was and still is the coolest and best dude.

We bought our first home close by my parents home because they're getting older in years and it's important to me that my daughter gets to spend as much time with them both as possible before their health declines in old age. I consider myself a very lucky man to have a wife that supported the entire thing instead of wanting us to move a couple states closer to her family.

I guess you could say I'm blessed entirely when it comes to family in general. My wife and I both have a number of close friends that stay with us from time to time because their own lives don't have any sort of family structure or support. I genuinely feel for them having never been granted that blessing the way my life went....so I call them my family as well and open my doors always to them in hopes it brings them the sort of happiness and strength that my own family bonds have brought me throughout my life.

UnvoicedUnveiled

Unvoiced Unveiled
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2022
    Wow, you've been into Pokemon a long time! That's so cool to read/hear. What are some of your favorite cards that you own? I'd love to see/hear some! Wishing best for both you and your daughter. :)

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Aww, that's adorable! My dad (when when he wasn't drinking) was very much the same way, and supported my Pokémon card collecting before I was even old enough to understand what to do with them. But to this day I've got a amazing old school collection of cards that I'm so, so grateful for. And even for my birthday this year (I'm not much older than you) he STILL buys me booster packs, lol.

Anyway, enough with my tangent, welcome to the community!

DrWho42

ka kaw
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    wow! welcome to the forums! thanks for that lengthy post 😃

Years
  • Wow, you've been into Pokemon a long time! That's so cool to read/hear. What are some of your favorite cards that you own? I'd love to see/hear some! Wishing best for both you and your daughter. :)

Oh man there are so many....and the artwork for the TCG is all so amazingly awesome in so many ways. You're honestly the first person I've ever had ask me that question, which is shocking to me to be honest. I'm going to have to go flip through my binders now, with the mindset of picking out a favorite or list of favorites most likely. I have a Holo Charizard from the base set and it's a nice card but I honestly never understood the hype behind it because so many other underrated cards that have similar rarities aren't worth a fraction of what that one card alone sells for nowadays. Let me get back to you though with some pictures of my favorites from my collection once I decide on them.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Aww, that's adorable! My dad (when when he wasn't drinking) was very much the same way, and supported my Pokémon card collecting before I was even old enough to understand what to do with them. But to this day I've got a amazing old school collection of cards that I'm so, so grateful for. And even for my birthday this year (I'm not much older than you) he STILL buys me booster packs, lol.

Anyway, enough with my tangent, welcome to the community!

Man that's nuts reading your response, my dad actually had a drinking problem as well. Not really during those younger glory years of mine when we spent a lot of time sharing the TCG and the GBC/GBA games as a hobby to bond over. But later on when he got real sick and I was a number of years older. Then he got real bad into drinking because of not being able to work anymore and being stuck at home all the time. It's the reason I don't ever drink actually, except for the occasional beverage at events and such.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Hello everyone!
    Welcome Jabrolski! There's a lot of similarly aged fans here, so you're far from alone :)

Nice to hear about your sweet family and your strong bond over pokémon! I hope you'll have fun here :) Even though it is 2021 and "forums are a dying media lol" is something we keep hearing, PokéCommunity lives on and stays active. Glad to have you be part of it now. See you around!

Back