• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why is Pokemon the way it is now?

Years
  • I'm here to discuss and give my opinion on Pokemon in its current form while also looking for input about this from others and input about my opinion. Here it goes.

I've been a huge Pokemon fan since I was first introduced to it during the tail end of Gen 2. During the start and rise of gen 3 a lot in my life got hectic, and no personal details I missed gen 3 and almost all of gen 4 until HGSS. Now when I come back into the series Black and White is on the way. Like most people I was thrown off with what we got for new Pokemon. Many not even playing those games solely due to everyone's favorite trash bag and frozen desert.

Years ago on, I still play it, and get White 2, and then move on to XY, ORAS, and so on. But I've lost that touch with Pokemon that I regained during 5th gen. XY was so small in content, ORAS felt more like "RS in 3D with the modern engine" and nothing at all in terms of the amazing remakes that was FRLG and even more so HGSS. Both added and more on top of their bases and of course kept the modernized flow for the generation they released in. ORAS did not do that for me. Like I said, it felt like Ruby and Sapphire but in 3D, with very few actually new things in it to keep it up as a remake. Megas were cool and all, so were the new ones in ORAS, but there was so much potential and even content from gen 3 that never made it into the remakes. XY is probably the second biggest punch to me due to how much I loved the Kalos region, and how much I loved the various theme's within the towns and Pokemon designs in lore. Only to fall short with Zygarde getting shafted, and not even a third version at all.

Now to the recent-er times. Sun and Moon. I was excited again because you know? More Pokemon. But it did the same exact thing as 6th gen where the first games are replaced completely by the next making them useless to get after the fact IN THE SAME GENERATION. Yup, this is the biggest punch to me for the series. The Ultra games, much like ORAS, added completely new elements (new megas for ORAS, and new Pokemon in Ultra). Of course I imagine it wouldn't have been hard at all to patch in the new pokemon and such into a previous game of the same generation with what the 3DS games can do. Literally all that had to be done was making the new stuff exist in XY/SM. Not even obtainable, just able to be exist so both games can be played without one feeling useless after the next. This makes sense when a new generation happens, as it's a whole new generation and a lot gets changed. But mid generation games replacing the games in the same generation? Absol-lutely disgusting. Not to mention the horrific gen 1 shoehorning that's been happening.

What ever happens for the next games (2019 Pokemon) I am going to hold off the day 1 purchase until I see they are worth getting and not full of potential never to be used. It feels dirty to do this, as Pokemon is my favorite series of all time. I'm sure any Sonic fans can relate to having to watch a series crash and burn over and over with only a few bits of greatness pop up every so often (Sonic Mania > Forces). Of course Pokemon quality is more consistent than the hit and miss of Sonic but still.

Um yeah, what's your take on all this? Do you think the series has been it's best since? Or be like me and feel as if B2W2 were the series peak?

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    Pokemon has been steadily declining for awhile now. To the point where many fans, myself included, have said that if this next Switch game (Gen 8, and not the Pikachu/Eevee side game) fails to deliver, then we're done with the franchise.

And, really, this is also textbook franchise fatigue. There's never been much variety in the main games, as, if you aren't catching Pokemon and battling with them, how is it still Pokemon? And the only way to 'refresh' that same idea is by either adding more Pokemon (some of which are very uninspired, as you've noticed) or adding other gimmicks.

That kind of ongoing strategy is bound to fail eventually; at least with veteran fans, who begin to just get tired of it. A new steady fanbase could possibly keep it afloat, however.

Add that in with Game Freak's obviously increasing laziness and greed, and well, yeah... it's pretty obvious why the games are where they are now.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2022
    I completely disagree.. The numbers are reflecting the growth of what Pokemon has already established. The company is trying to market the beginning of pokemon to a newer generation just as Sunday school classes teach the youth about the same things older generations are already educated and committed to. It is a smart move.

As far as bringing something new to the table, a company has to adapt to the advancements of technology in society. Mobile devices are used for almost everything, so incorporating Pokemon Go into the mix of gaming systems is an advanced move that a lot of other games cannot do. I am not interested in that aspect myself, but I think that I will still be the 60 year old guy playing pokemon in a virtual reality system when that happens by the time 30 years role around.

I enjoy new pokemon, so I was a little disappointed with Alola with a major aspect being alternate forms, types and ugly ultra beasts. I am hoping the next generation brings some new ones that people can love like we saw in gen 4 and gen 6.

I can get that people lose interest because of changes made being disappointing, but I do really enjoy escaping into pokemon, even if it is to older games because I may not like the newer ones. we will see.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Pokemon is not on a decline? It's just as popular as it's ever been. People are just salty that Sun/Moon/Ultra Sun/Moon changed things. You've got to realize that Pokemon is one of the biggest Nintendo franchises, and Game Freak is always going to explore new options.

Pokemon isn't going anywhere anytime soon--I'm not going to say I'm surprised we never got a Pokemon z, by the way, it just really wasn't meant to be, and probably was never happening anyway, and I honestly don't think Black 2/White 2, were the franchises's "peak", so to speak. I'm honestly getting tired of people saying things like this... that Game Freak is running out ideas, and that all the new Pokemon games are "bad". They're not... please understand this is just my opinion, so.

I'm not sure what generation 8 is going to bring to the table, but it makes me upset that people have so little faith in Game Freak.

Last edited:

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I honestly think Pok?mon is doing just fine. I see kids with Pok?mon shirts and toys, commonly, and people walking around playing Go.

I was Ash on Halloween at work, and a lot kids and adults knew who I was. lol

So I don't think Pok?mon is declining, and it's still got a lot of people hooked, so I wouldn't say it's doing poorly in its decisions. If it then plenty of people are still eating up its content anyway, and seem to end up enjoying it. Even the newer Pok?mon games hit a good number of sales in their first week. With pre-orders too. The peak of Pok?mon to me was the Kanto boom, and then Unova. Sooo many people were hyped and pleased with Black and White, and shortly before that it seemed that Platinum did well for Sinnoh. I know X and Y kinda bombed because of its lack of plot content, but Sun and Moon seemed to be really loved. I'm guilty of not playing much of Moon myself, but I've heard nothing but good things. From my point of view and from what I've researched, it's still doing well, and I think we'll be experiencing Pok?mon content for many more years.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Hooray more complaining threads. Seriously though, if you think Pokemon is getting worse, then stop playing. I used to think the same, but now things changed and I'd even go far to say that I was wrong. I mean your reasoning isn't bad, but overall, if you think the games are not going well for you, then please don't bother people who are still interested. Just call it quits or something.

kuzronk

Banned
    Years
  • "More Pokemon. But it did the same exact thing as 6th gen where the first games are replaced completely by the next making them useless to get after the fact IN THE SAME GENERATION."

Isn't this how the series has always been though? You can still play them and also export caught pokmeon into other games.

Back