• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] Fire Red: Controlling a Trainer bug

Manekimoney

Banned
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 18, 2024
i've been testing my ROM hack, which is nearly finished, but I encountered this weird bug and I don't know what's causing it.

The player is the Pikachu
1636 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)1.png

After saving and reloading the save, the bug happens
1636 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)2.png

I'm now controlling the CoolTrainer in bottom left of the screen
1636 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)3.png
1636 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)4.png
1636 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)5.png

Opening the bag and closing it, changes the CoolTrainer sprite into the player sprite, otherwise, everthing is the same.

The problem is that, the CoolTrainer gets stuck in a 3x2 square. You cannot move out of it, resulting in being stuck, whenever you reload the save.

This bug occurs only for this trainer, as far is I know for now.

Some more info, just in case it may matter:

The trainer is using an edited battle sprite of a CoolTrainer

The CoolTrainer sprite was edited using Nameless Sprite Editor 2.0

The original person, that was edited, to create this CoolTrainer, was a Lass, and it's Pokemon party and in battle sprite was simply edited, to create this CoolTrainer, using Advanced Trainer Editor.

I encountered a different minor glitch with a different trainer, that was also using the edited in game CoolTrainer sprite, which somehow caused its Pokemon to be level 49, instead of 21, which was fixed, so maybe there is a something wrong with the sprite I created?

I had some instances, where sprites that were edited using NSE 2.0 got corrupted, but this one seemed fine.

I could also post the patch of the ROM hack, if it really is required.

Last edited:

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
This is happening because you chose the wrong "Look down" movement type in Advance-Map. You need to open the English INI (in ini/Sprachen) and find the entry named "8=Look down" under the heading "Bewegung" and change it to something else (like "8=Look down (glitched)"). If you don't do this, then no matter how many times you try to choose the correct "Look down" movement then it'll always choose the first one due to a Windows bug. Then just reopen Advance-Map, go to that map (and any others that may have an incorrect "Look down" NPC) and change it to the other "Look down" option.

Manekimoney

Banned
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 18, 2024
This is happening because you chose the wrong "Look down" movement type in Advance-Map. You need to open the English INI (in ini/Sprachen) and find the entry named "8=Look down" under the heading "Bewegung" and change it to something else (like "8=Look down (glitched)"). If you don't do this, then no matter how many times you try to choose the correct "Look down" movement then it'll always choose the first one due to a Windows bug. Then just reopen Advance-Map, go to that map (and any others that may have an incorrect "Look down" NPC) and change it to the other "Look down" option.

Cool and good. Thanks

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jun 29, 2022
It's worth noting, at least in FR, that it appears that you must use 08 for items. So I renamed my ITEMS in the ini. If you have it set to the other look down, encounter a wild pokemon, and then exit battle you run into the same issue. One seems to be "Look down (items)" and the other is "Look down (People)".

Back