• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Not all Pokémon are created equal...

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Generation II bought us 100 brand new Pokémon to train and battle with. However, not all these Pokémon met expectations that were thought of them. As they say, first impressions are everything! Which Pokémon was the biggest disappointment to you and why? Are there any changes you would make to them to make them a bit more appealing?

pkmin3033

I was kinda disappointed that Marill wasn't called Pikablu as literally everyone was claiming back then. I also remember being really disappointed that Togepi was so phenomenally useless...and that Larvitar wasn't available until the end of the game. I think it was more the availability of Pokemon that disappointed me than their designs; back then everything was still new and exciting and more Pokemon couldn't be anything other than a good thing. An eleven-year old is rarely a critic. xD

That said, now I'd like to make Chikorita a bit more useful...it's very cute, but it's also very squishy and it has an absolutely terrible movepool and stats. Maybe even give it dual Fairy typing or something, since it's so cute.

Iria Animi

Innocent Trainer
    Years
  • When I get to learn the Kanto region availiable, I was really felt adventrous and collecting 16 badge! But I was somehow expecting some more bit after defeating Red.But sadly nothing but credit rolled.

Years
  • Talking about design, Gen II is one of the best Generations for me. But training an Unown was so disappointing... Learning that it would only know one move forever was so much a turn off. Game Freak could give it some more moves. It's an important Pokémon for the games/anime mythology outside battles, but it could show its powers in them too.

Sean Flame

*#@()@(!#¥{
    Years
  • To me, Suicine, Entei and Raikou (I forgot their collective name) were great disappointments. It took me more than half a month in Gold to catch Entei since I had no idea moves like mean look even existed!! But then, I caught a Ho oh, and was immediately declared by myself the biggest dopey in the entire freaking universe. And atm, feraligatr and typhlosion are much much better than sui and ent. Unown too was a nuisance, with absolutely no use other than filling up the dex because of its amazing design and awesome movepool, ya know! The rest of them are good.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • I was most disappointed with Unown. It was difficult to find for young Josh, and watching the Entei movie I was really excited to use one because they were so powerful. Sure, they were cool, and the Ruins of Alph were super interesting, but Unown themselves were a lot less powerful than I had imagined :(

Back