• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Script] Multiple choice starters

Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2023
    Hello guys!

It would be very nice if someone could help me out.
    I kinda start getting how scripts works but i just cant figure out this
    So basicly i want to put a pokeball somewhere which:

Gives you a lil text when you start talking to it (ye i know how to do this)
    Gives you a option to either choose
    Pokemon A
    Pokemon B
    Pokemon C in a multiple choice box

When you choose a pokemon, the pokeball will dissapear for good.

Hope someone can help me out with showing me the script (maybe some explaination behind the lines of the script)

Regards Swen

Years
    • He or They
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    I'm sorry, why would /one/ pokeball have multiple pokemon in it? Wouldn't it make more logical sense to copy the Pro. Oak script and have multiple pokeballs for all the pokemon, instead of having one pokeball magically contain several pokemon but only letting you choose one? Or have a bag full of pokemon instead, in which case, Ruby/Emerald are your buddies.

However, assuming you do want to go through with this 'one pokeball containing multi pokemon' weirdness, you might want to check out JPAN's hacked engine in Resources. His documents for it include how to do variable multiple choice boxes. Without the hack, I thinnnnk but don't recall perfectly, that you have to use an existing multiple choice box word selection and change the text. There are, without JPANengine, only a limited number of them. I did actually have a script somewhere for multiple pokemon choice selection, but only for JPAN hack, which is a bit advanced for most beginners I admit because it clears out all the existing scripts including for pokemon centers and sethealplaces.

If you don't mind having the limited number, you can try searching for an unused multichoice set, alter the text, then look at how the normal rom deals with multichoice code (for instance, look at the lemonade stand, or an elevator) and combine that with your basic pro. oak give-pokemon script. I think I remember there was an unused Southwest/Northwest one, but that's 2 options, not 3, anndddd I might be mentally merging it with first gen which I've worked on far more recently.

Here's an example JPAN hack script, keeping in mind it's suuuuuuper old and I don't remember if I ever tested this out:
    Spoiler:
    I don't recommend that one, because it won't work on a normal rom that doesn't have JPAN's hacked engine, but it's an example.

edit: Oh, yeah, I forgot. Hiding the pokeball or spawning event requires hidesprite + making sure the sprite has the flag id in AdvancedMap, so the map knows when reloading to permanently disappear it, or to reappear it if you choose to unset the flag later in a different map.

Back