• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Poetry] The Great War

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2013
    It happened nearly 10 years ago. All these kids starting there journeys were just babies. Growing up with no Dad is not a life an aspiring pokemon trainer should have to face. But it was all for the cause. Our very way of life was threatened. Those ****ers from Unova were building aircraft's and battleships.There were rumours they were creating a super Pokemon, a Pokemon more powerful than any other They invaded. Oh, they invaded alright. Christmas Eve, 1996. Chapter 1 "Join the fight agints the Unovans!", the sign above the door read. I was just a 19 year old trainer, making my way up the pokemon ladder. Sure, i had a couple badges, and i had a few pokemon, but i was by no means anywhere near a master. Unlike my friend Matt. We had known each other since before i could remember. We both started our pokemon journeys together. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was given a Pidgey by my father, while Matt was given a Squirtle, as his family were close with the Oak's. He always boased about this fact, as if it made him better than me, being from a poor family. "Well, go on then."` Matt said, pointing to the sign, "You said you would do it!" "Umm... Yeah, i will, OK?" I replied back to him, in a shaky voice " Well do it then! Look, i'll go first, then you do it, ok?" Matt then walked straight forward through a door, in which the sign was placed next too. I followed him inside. It was a small pub, with a wooden bar, tables and chairs in, and a couple of people behind a desk in the middle. "Ah, young men!" One of the men said, through his bushy grey moustache. The other man then asked " So, care to join the fight against the Unovan's?" "Umm...Umm..." I hesitated

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Growing up with no Dad is not a life an aspiring pokemon trainer should have to face.
    Dad shouldn't be capitalized as it's not a proper name.

building aircraft's and battleships.There were rumours
    Make sure to add a space between that period and "There".

a Pokemon more powerful than any other They invaded.
    I get that the speaker is telling us that Unova invaded, but invaded what? A little more detail would be nice. Also, I think you're missing a period after "other".

Chapter 1
    Is this the beginning of a chapter? I ask because there's no space or anything around it. This is what I would do:
    [Enter prologue or whatever here]

Chapter 1

[Enter chapter 1 here]
    It just helps organize the story and makes it friendlier to look at. Remember to hit that "enter" button twice though, so there's a space instead of a new line.

Sure, i had a couple badges, and i had a few pokemon, but i was by no means anywhere near a master.
    Whenever I is by itself, it gets capitalized. So all of these i's would have to get changed to I.

Unlike my friend Matt.
    This right here doesn't stand as a sentence. You have a subject in Matt, but no verb. This would be used as a phrase to start a sentence rather than stand by itself.

He always boased about this fact,
    I think you meant boasted here.

"Well, go on then."` Matt said, pointing to the sign,
    There is a stray apostrophe right after Matt's dialogue. I would get rid of it.

Matt then walked straight forward through a door, in which the sign was placed next too.
    You used the wrong form of to/too/two. Too is used to say something in excess or someone wants to do something also such as, "I want to go too!" or, "There's too much noise!" The form you're looking for is to.

"Umm...Umm..." I hesitated
    You're missing a period at the end of this sentence.

This is going to sound blunt, but there isn't really a way to word this differently. There are a lot of mistakes here. No one is expecting a perfect story, and no one can catch all of their mistakes, but be sure to let your chapter sit for a day before you go back and proofread for mistakes. It will help a lot.

Okay, one thing I noticed is that you're not spacing out your story. Whenever you start a new section or line of dialogue, you start a new line. Once again, that means hitting that "enter" button twice. Since I learn best by example, this section:
    "Well, go on then."` Matt said, pointing to the sign, "You said you would do it!" "Umm... Yeah, i will, OK?" I replied back to him, in a shaky voice " Well do it then! Look, i'll go first, then you do it, ok?" Matt then walked straight forward through a door, in which the sign was placed next too.
    Would turn into this:
    "Well, go on then." Matt said, pointing to the sign, "You said you would do it!"

"Umm... Yeah, I will, OK?" I replied back to him, in a shaky voice.

"Well do it then! Look, I'll go first, then you do it, ok?" Matt then walked straight forward through a door, in which the sign was placed next to.

Okay, as far as the story itself goes, there isn't much to critique because nothing really happens. You set up the plot well, but there's nothing really happens to advance the story.

This may sound a little mean, but before you post your second chapter, I would like you to put more into this chapter. This chapter is just a little too short for my tastes.

If you're concerned about adding more, try adding more description, spacing it out, and if all else fails, add more to the plot. You're not giving us much to go off of as of right now. You're telling us everything rather than showing. here's what I mean:
    It was a small pub, with a wooden bar, tables and chairs in, and a couple of people behind a desk in the middle.
    You're telling us the setting rather than showing us. Instead of listing off what's in the room, try having the characters interacting with what's where and showing us what's there. It will most likely help with the length as well. A word of warning though, showing v telling is arguably the hardest thing about writing stories, so don't expect it to come easily. I struggle with it every time I write.

You'll notice that everything I mentioned were cosmetic changes. The story so far, although there isn't much, is really good. It flows, it's easily understandable, and it sets us up for a really good story. You're withholding information from us at a very healthy rate. We're not exactly sure why Unova attacked, so we're going to keep on reading to find out. A mistake made by a lot of writers is giving off too much information too early, but I feel like you're managing the information very well.

Overall, not a bad start. I would like this chapter to be a little longer before you post your second chapter since this is a little too short for me. You definitely have the idea here, you just need a little work on the execution. Keep it up and you'll find your writing reaching new levels in no time. :D

Back