• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need help again with a cutscene. Possible to turn "draw picture" to script?

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2022
    Hi again, so I think I might have gotten XP mixed up with Ace, and thought there was some way to get an event to play a movie file - so I decided to make a movie file that I'd like to play during a certain point.
    I couldn't get that to work, so instead since it was only 4 frames, I used the draw picture command to create it like this:
    New canvas.png
    The problem with this though, is that is alot to look at. And I was wondering if anyone who knows coding knows if I can simplify this into a script because it's something I'd want to more of to make the game stand out a bit - and that I'd like certain cutscenes to play depending on choice like this:
    clapping.gif
    So if anyone has a way I could convert all that into just plain script, that would make things a lot more smoother for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ego13

hollow_ego
    Years
  • Hi again, so I think I might have gotten XP mixed up with Ace, and thought there was some way to get an event to play a movie file - so I decided to make a movie file that I'd like to play during a certain point.
    I couldn't get that to work, so instead since it was only 4 frames, I used the draw picture command to create it like this:
    View attachment 83529
    The problem with this though, is that is alot to look at. And I was wondering if anyone who knows coding knows if I can simplify this into a script because it's something I'd want to more of to make the game stand out a bit - and that I'd like certain cutscenes to play depending on choice like this:
    View attachment 83528
    So if anyone has a way I could convert all that into just plain script, that would make things a lot more smoother for me.

I actually do have some first ideas on how to pull this off and make it so you only need one script command.
    Would it always be 4 frames? Or could it happen in the future that you might have a scene with more frames?

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2022
    I actually do have some first ideas on how to pull this off and make it so you only need one script command.
    Would it always be 4 frames? Or could it happen in the future that you might have a scene with more frames?

I guess that really depends on how complicated things get. At first I thought of just doing it for the intro scenes, but now I kind of want to use it for more stuff - that might go over four frames.

Ego13

hollow_ego
    Years
  • I guess that really depends on how complicated things get. At first I thought of just doing it for the intro scenes, but now I kind of want to use it for more stuff - that might go over four frames.

Do you mind sending me the 4 example frames you have? I think the system is working but I want to make sure (and also need to figure some things out)

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2022
    Do you mind sending me the 4 example frames you have? I think the system is working but I want to make sure (and also need to figure some things out)

I can do that. Though I just noticed there seems to be a bit of a problem when the screen is set to full size - where the picture isn't fully shown.

Ego13

hollow_ego
    Years
  • I can do that. Though I just noticed there seems to be a bit of a problem when the screen is set to full size - where the picture isn't fully shown.

Alright I tested everything and I think its working as intended and hope it fits your needs.

What this script can do:
    - Play animations that consist of a sperate image for every frame
    - Animation can be smaller and/or transparent graphics as well
    - Automatically centers smaller graphics
    - Show text in the animation screen
    - Make sure the animation screen can't be closed until the animation played at least once
    - Loop an animation, play it once or multiple finite amount of times
    - Manipulate the framerate (default is 40)

How to install:
    1. Download the .txt file with the code here
    2. Open your game project
    3. Create a a new script section above Main and call it CutSceneCreator
    4. Copy the code from the .txt file and paste it in the new script section
    5. Add a new folder in the Graphics folder and call it Animator, all graphic files go here
    6. Copy and paste a default background image in the Animator folder and name it animbg
    7. Instructions on how to use it are at the top of the codes

And example of an event using the startAnimationRepeatMessage command is attached
    exampleeventw2kx9.jpg

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2022
    Ok, that is amazing.

The only thing though, is that I kind of need sounds to play, and the animation doesn't seem to end on its own unless I press a button twice. Once to continue the scene, and the second to close the message to pop's up.

Other than that though, it works great.

Ego13

hollow_ego
    Years
  • Ok, that is amazing.

The only thing though, is that I kind of need sounds to play, and the animation doesn't seem to end on its own unless I press a button twice. Once to continue the scene, and the second to close the message to pop's up.

Other than that though, it works great.

What script command are you using and how did you set it up?

I can change it a bit so that it closes automatically after showing the animation.
    About the sound i will have to figure something out

Ego13

hollow_ego
    Years
  • Alright, I'll simplefy the script a bit and then let you know.
    I already added sound and changed it so the animation screen will close automatically

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2022
    Good luck! I feel like a lot of people could do some really cool stuff with that aside from animating the starters - like maybe Totem Pokemon or Gym Leader Intros.

Ego13

hollow_ego
    Years
  • Alright I did all the changes. The new file can be downloaded here
    The installation process stayed the same but the name of the script commands have changed.
    Please let me know how it works for you. If it works good I want to make an extra thread for this script.

How to install:
    1. Download the .txt file with the code here
    2. Open your game project
    3. Create a a new script section above Main and call it CutSceneCreator
    4. Copy the code from the .txt file and paste it in the new script section
    5. Add a new folder in the Graphics folder and call it Animator, all graphic files go here
    6. Copy and paste a default background image in the Animator folder and name it animbg
    7. Instructions on how to use it are included

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2022
    Ok. So for the most part it seems to work amazingly well at 60 fps.
    I have a video of it though I'm not sure how to embed it here - but at 60 fps it works like a dream.
    View attachment egoscripttest.avi

Only issue is if you go lower, it seems to think the same frame plays multiple times and will keep playing the sound. Like around 30, it will play the sound effect twice - while counting down from the time it plays.

Ego13

hollow_ego
    Years
  • Ok. So for the most part it seems to work amazingly well at 60 fps.
    I have a video of it though I'm not sure how to embed it here - but at 60 fps it works like a dream.
    View attachment 83600

Only issue is if you go lower, it seems to think the same frame plays multiple times and will keep playing the sound. Like around 30, it will play the sound effect twice - while counting down from the time it plays.

Okay I see what's going on there. I improved the sound check and made a new thread for it here
    Now you only need to replace the script. Be sure to download it from the new thread.

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2022
    Okay I see what's going on there. I improved the sound check and made a new thread for it here
    Now you only need to replace the script. Be sure to download it from the new thread.

Ok, got it. It seems to be working great. I might even use this for the yellow version-esque "pop-ups"
    instead of the play animations so I can give them their own folder. I can also definitely see this being used for things like Trains, Boats, and lifts.

If you ever need me to make an example of how your thing looks for your new thread let me know.

Ego13

hollow_ego
    Years
  • Ok, got it. It seems to be working great. I might even use this for the yellow version-esque "pop-ups"
    instead of the play animations so I can give them their own folder. I can also definitely see this being used for things like Trains, Boats, and lifts.

If you ever need me to make an example of how your thing looks for your new thread let me know.

I would really appreciate that. Can you do two different examples maybe?

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2022
    I would really appreciate that. Can you do two different examples maybe?

I think I can do that. I was trying to see how it would work as a simple transition scene - so I made a rough 3 frame animation and looped it a bit.
    latas.gif
    Doesn't really look like it would work to well for that right now. At least not with a bit more scripting.
    But I can see this working for things like seeing Pokemon in the Safari Zone zoo, or pokemon roaring at the screen intros, or just even weird things that pop up when looking at Tv's that I can try to make.

Ego13

hollow_ego
    Years
  • I think I can do that. I was trying to see how it would work as a simple transition scene - so I made a rough 3 frame animation and looped it a bit.
    View attachment 83658
    Doesn't really look like it would work to well for that right now. At least not with a bit more scripting.
    But I can see this working for things like seeing Pokemon in the Safari Zone zoo, or pokemon roaring at the screen intros, or just even weird things that pop up when looking at Tv's that I can try to make.

What do you mean by "transition scene"? What do you want it to look like?

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2022
    What do you mean by "transition scene"? What do you want it to look like?

I figured I could get the scene to play, and then have the player transferred to a new area (in this case, a few pixels away). So you could have your script run between say - going on a boat, or riding a train, or flying like this, and then at the end your in a new area.

Ego13

hollow_ego
    Years
  • I figured I could get the scene to play, and then have the player transferred to a new area (in this case, a few pixels away). So you could have your script run between say - going on a boat, or riding a train, or flying like this, and then at the end your in a new area.

Ah okay so you could use it for a fly animation.
    That will need some modification. The way the script is written right now it uses another script that does the fading and that doesn't allow anything else to happen before the he animation screen is closed

Edit: I updated the script a bit. The best way to make it look smooth is to use either simpleAnimation, simpleAnimationRepeat or soundAnimation and right before that starts, in the event add a "Change Screen Color Tone" (Page 2, bottom left) with everything set to -255 and right before the transfer command the same but with everything set to zero

Last edited:
    Back