• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Merch Shops

Years
  • Now, rather than this being a general "Do You Collect?" thread, I'm curious, for those who do or have bought non-TCG merch before, where have you bought from? Do you buy in person, online, or both? Have you imported anything either because it wasn't released in your own country, or because you couldn't find it when it was released in your own country?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I've imported a LOT. Canada hasn't reliably sold any Pokemon goods since around 2008, so if I want anything, I have to either import from sellers in the US or Japan.

I used to be really active on the pkmncollectors livejournal where I'd just buy from random users' sales posts, but since LJ kind of died, I mostly just get all my import stuff from Sunyshore. Occasionally, for rarer things, I'll use Yahoo Auctions and a middleman company, but I don't really collect actively anymore and I completed my Cherrim collection years ago, so it's really only new stuff I have to look out for.

The best thing that ever happened to me was going to Japan when a big Cherrim merch set was released. They literally announced and launched it during the week I was there and it came out the day before I left and I swear Arceus is looking out for me. I was able to buy the whole set (almost literally... I only left three items out of my basket because they did not actually have Cherrim on them) in person at the Pokemon Centre, saving the hefty import taxes and shipping/seller markup. I probably saved a good $100+ on everything than if I'd tried to fill out the collection from here in Canada. :'D

Years
  • To answer my own question, for Pokemon, I largely buy domestic, living in the USA. Places like the American Target (not the Aussie one, they're two different companies), Wal-Mart, Barnes & Noble, GameStop, and several local card, video game, comic, and anime shops. Also at anime conventions. I've only bought a few things online for Pokemon, pretty much all from Pokemoncenter.com since it reopened in the USA. I think I did preorder a figure from AmiAmi as it wasn't available on Pokemoncenter.com to order at the time I ordered, but my memory might be hazy. I use web retailers mostly to buy and import for my *non*-Pokemon series that I like.

I've imported a LOT. Canada hasn't reliably sold any Pokemon goods since around 2008, so if I want anything, I have to either import from sellers in the US or Japan.

I used to be really active on the pkmncollectors livejournal where I'd just buy from random users' sales posts, but since LJ kind of died, I mostly just get all my import stuff from Sunyshore. Occasionally, for rarer things, I'll use Yahoo Auctions and a middleman company, but I don't really collect actively anymore and I completed my Cherrim collection years ago, so it's really only new stuff I have to look out for.

The best thing that ever happened to me was going to Japan when a big Cherrim merch set was released. They literally announced and launched it during the week I was there and it came out the day before I left and I swear Arceus is looking out for me. I was able to buy the whole set (almost literally... I only left three items out of my basket because they did not actually have Cherrim on them) in person at the Pokemon Centre, saving the hefty import taxes and shipping/seller markup. I probably saved a good $100+ on everything than if I'd tried to fill out the collection from here in Canada. :'D

Which middleman service have you been using? Or would you rather not disclose? I'm signed up for Tenso, myself, but have yet to receive anything using it yet (pre-ordered some stuff that doesn't release until May/June).

I don't envy the import situation you guys have since the customs threshold is so low in Canada compared to the USA.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Which middleman service have you been using? Or would you rather not disclose? I'm signed up for Tenso, myself, but have yet to receive anything using it yet (pre-ordered some stuff that doesn't release until May/June).

I don't envy the import situation you guys have since the customs threshold is so low in Canada compared to the USA.
    I haven't used it in a while and there's probably better ones, but I use Noppin just 'cause it was one of the few popular ones back when middleman services weren't a big thing yet. But yeah, customs hit on just about everything, which means smaller packages are better BUT it's so much more economical to get big packages from middleman services so... I don't use them much anymore. They were better when our dollar was better, haha.

That said, it'd be nice if Pokemon Center's online store in the US would ship to Canada too. :/

Years
  • That said, it'd be nice if Pokemon Center's online store in the US would ship to Canada too. :/
    I feel this pain sooo much. There have been some exclusive hats and shirts/sweaters that I've seen on there over the years, and I wouldn't have minded paying the extra for shipping, even if our dollar was bad like it is right now. Every couple of months I check the site to look at their shipping FAQ to see if it's changed, and every time I leave disappointed, haha.

I don't buy much in the way of Pokemon merch any more, but when I do it's usually online through someone like Amazon, or I might pick up a few things when we've got a con in town. The only exception is when I see a new TCG set out, I usually pick up 2 or 3 booster packs at Walmart just to see what I get, but nothing else really catches my eye in stores these days.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Don't really buy much merchandise anymore but I did get some Pokemon plushes (hoenn starters i think) in the 2000s from a dollar store. I also wanted to buy something at a Pokemon Center store when I visited a mall in Japan, but all they had were merchandise of not my favorite pokemon. Actually they did have an Espeon plush but it's too late now

Years
  • I generally buy online. The internet is the savior of a person like me who is really much more shy than she looks. Sometimes just walking through a store makes me feel claustrophobic.

I don't have one go-to store, but rather like to shop around, visiting lots of different websites, checking out their merchandise and prices. Amazon is usually a good place to start. I have bought plushies and games from them and had all good pokemon-related experiences so far. I also like that they have a very low threshold for free shipping. Also because they advertise many other stores on their site it gives you a wider pool of options to chose from. With many different people coming together some have more unusual, imported items, and that is definitely a good thing. Also because of the close competition the prices tend to be fair. Just be aware though that with so many different sellers working in conjunction with Amazon they each have their own rules and some have better customer service than others. When not ordering directly from Amazon services I have gotten some real amazing finds with professional service and lightning fast shipping from Tea Party, Onlywholesale and Wish no More and a lot of other good merchants.

I have purchased from the Pokemon Center too more recently. I find their doll collection to be very extensive, it just goes on for pages and pages like reading a book, so many beautiful and fun products. Talk about too much of a good thing! I sometimes have trouble making up my I mind! Should I get the glass vulpix for my table? How about the Pikachu bride and groom wedding set? Oh look a stuffed Ho-oh, gimme! The good thing Is that they have some of the lowest prices around. I have filled up my cart with 3 or 4 toys for 50 bucks and received free shipping. So I like them a lot, the only thing I might add is that sometimes the product details are a bit outdated. The Dragonite plush I bought recently was a lot smaller than the measurements listed in the description, but still a beautiful doll that I am happy with. Again, at such low costs its always a sweet deal.

I also absolutely love Fangamer if you fancy original creations for collectors. I have gotten gorgeous posters, hand-drawn comic books, pokedex, all sorts of just stunning original content by fans that are made as labors of love. I have a great book called the Field Guide to Kanto by artist Kari Fry. It is the jewel of my Pokemon collection.

My favorite place to shop is probably Etsy. The good thing about it is that because these are original artists you are getting content that you can't find anywhere. Since there is no official Milotic Pokemon release I can go here to get a striking floor-length crochet of my signature Pokemon. Or a cosplay reproduction of the Pangoro hat/Slurpuff dress. Right now I have my eye on a snow globe style pokeball with Bulbasaur in his natural habitat. Its a Pokeball you can open that looks like a small forrest inside with a plastic miniature of Bulbasaur, surounded by tiny trees they made, a vast glitter lake, handmade berry bushes etc.

While Etsy has very elaborate and unusual products, the downside is that they can sometimes be very expensive, and the items often are one-of-a-kind, so if you miss it then its gone forever. At least however, the sales are helping local artisans.

Last, but not least I search eBay. I like my products to be new in box however. I avoid buying games on Ebay, because it can be very messy, I see people selling games that are clearly counterfeits. But I have bought some Nendoroids from Ebay. Since they can easily cost upward of 50 dollars a pop elsewhere the bargain hunter in me can't resist when its half-priced here. I have been lucky and gotten some very nice ones, and take my N with Reshiram nendoroid with me everywhere.

I am hesitant about buying internationally because you have longer waiting times on shipping, and the customer service can have extreme fall offs since a foreign country is not governed by the same regulations as your own. I have heard horror stories about AmiAmi and have my own Aliexpress scary stories. I always got my money back, but if I have to break your arm and leg to get you to cooperate with me then you aint getting my business again.

There are I am sure very good retailers internationally, but I am gaurded because of past bad experiences. I won't say never though, I have been browsing the web store of Crunchy Roll lately and would like to give their shop a try soon. Also my eyes have been looking with hunger at a nice Steven Stone figurine being sold from China since the price is right. He comes complete with his metagross.

There you have it. This is how VisionofMilotic does her shopping boys and girls.

Back