• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ASM & Hex] Need some advice for ASM hacking please

Years
  • Hello, sorry to be a bother.
    In my hack I have expanded the number of evolutions per Pokemon to 7 to account for Eeveelutions using PGE by editing the .ini file, however I expected PGE to do all the work for me and tell the game there were now more evolution methods, which I don't think it has done.

Looking into several online threads here and elsewhere, I have discovered that I need to 'edit the .bin file' for the games evolution data. Problem is ASM hacking goes way over my head, I have no idea what a .bin file is or where to begin, and all of the posts I've seen so far on here seem to assume at least a minimal understanding of ASM routines and such, which I do not have.

What I would like to do is as suggested by kearnseyboy6 in a very helpful thread that I will link below, which is to change Change F0 19 to 70 00 in the .bin file.

How in the heckin' heck do I access the .bin file for my rom, specifically for evolutions, to edit this data?
    If I do will I also need to repoint everything. The aforementioned advice states that this will edit the number of evolutions per Pokemon to 8, is there a way to make it 7 or does it have to be a power of 2?

Thanks for any advice, this community is the best xxxx

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2023
    In my hack I have expanded the number of evolutions per Pokemon to 7 to account for Eeveelutions using PGE by editing the .ini file, however I expected PGE to do all the work for me and tell the game there were now more evolution methods, which I don't think it has done.

Not sure how to solve your problem but I just wanted to clear up a misconception. PGE's .ini doesn't actually make the changes you specify in the .ini, but you edit them once you made the changes another way so you can edit the additional eevolutions.

For example changing the number of pokemon in the ini doesnt actually expand the pokemon in-game, but you need to change it once you expand or else whatever editor you're using will only load so many slots and you can't access your new pokemon data.

TLDR; ini files are configurations for the editors not the rom

Years
  • Thanks. xxxx Any idea how to simply edit the max number of evolution from 5 to 7? I assume it just means changing a byte or 2 in the hex data but I haven't found anything too helpful yet int he forums...

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    AFAIK (may not be 100% correct) The way the evolution slots work is that they're all stored in one big table, and expanding the number of evos per mon means you have to expand that table to be a number (n) equal to the number of evolutions per mon (e) times the number of Pokémon slots in the ROM (p), including the unused slots you might have (such as the 25 unused Unown placeholders)
    As an equation, that's
    Code:
    n = e * p
    Therefore, in order to properly expand it, you have to expand the table such that there's the necessary number of slots, or else your editor will not read it correctly (ie reading 8 evos per mon when there is only data for 5 evos would result in something like Ivysaur's evolution data showing up in Bulbasaur's data, and evo data for the Squirtle family showing up in Charizard's data. I've had this happen before, but keep in mind that an error like that example would just be an outdated ini, the actual evos would function based on the table.)

Last edited:
    Back