• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Features you forgot existed?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • There's a lotttt of mechanics in Pok?mon and while later generations don't often remove them, Game Freak does introduce stuff for one generation and then seem to forget about it or decide not to update it at all in the future. Are there any game mechanics or features that were so de-emphasized that you forgot they existed altogether? Bonus points if you also suggest how these could be changed to become more prominent.

I always forget the Flute items exist. Since they have effects in the overworld, it would be nice if there could be a little overworld animation of the player (or their Pok?mon?) playing them when they're used. They could also change the in-game music while in effect. I don't really have any suggestions to change functionality, but adding cute little features like that would help make it stand out from the massive slough of random items in this series.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
    Years
  • I forget what out-of-battle effects certain abilities have, such as Magnet Pull and Illuminate. Reminder text about some of them would be appreciated.

I also forget that Wonder Trade is a thing, and what it does. That's just because I take a year off playing pokemon sometimes.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
    Years
  • Someone's going to undoubtedly say Overgrow, Blaze and Torrent, and this someone is going to be me. Honestly, the game needs to notify you when the ability activates, because it's so easy to forget that these abilities exist in the first place. It isn't helped by the fact that you'd just heal when your starter is down to red health and thus wouldn't reap the benefits of increased power Grass, Fire or Water moves respectively. Probably have something like "Overgrow/Blaze/Torrent activated!" so we're actually aware our starters actually have abilities, for once.

Years
    • Seen today
    The Pokewalker. I've never had one, and still have no idea what it's about.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Someone's going to undoubtedly say Overgrow, Blaze and Torrent, and this someone is going to be me. Honestly, the game needs to notify you when the ability activates, because it's so easy to forget that these abilities exist in the first place. It isn't helped by the fact that you'd just heal when your starter is down to red health and thus wouldn't reap the benefits of increased power Grass, Fire or Water moves respectively. Probably have something like "Overgrow/Blaze/Torrent activated!" so we're actually aware our starters actually have abilities, for once.
    Funny the only time I've ever even found those relevant are in speedruns, where you don't really have time to heal and often need to deliberately take damage and activate your starters' ability because you're too underlevelled to win any battles otherwise.

Back