• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I was wondering if i could get some help with my team

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2020
    This team wont be used much for actual competitive but ill be battling with a group of friends. I was wondering if i could get some help for both choosing the last Pokemon and with general improvements.
    here is what i got so far:

Excadrill @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sand Force
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Hardy Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Iron Head
    - Rapid Spin

Garchomp

Sylveon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Pixilate
    EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 32 SpD
    Bold Nature
    - Hyper Voice
    - Wish
    - Heal Bell
    - Protect

Comfey @ Life Orb
    Ability: Triage
    EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
    Quirky Nature
    - Draining Kiss
    - Giga Drain
    - Calm Mind
    - (hidden power maybe)

Umbreon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Synchronize
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Heal Bell
    - Foul Play

Im pretty set on having excadril, comfey and sylveon but im up to change any of the others.
    I know ill be fighting a mewtwo, rayquaza, and plenty of fire types. Any suggestions?

Years
  • Before anything can you fill us in on what format and gen this is for?
    It sounds like it'll be VGC in gen 7 but it'd help to be sure.

Years
  • Its more like anything goes gen 7

Well, most of your team is pretty bad if I'm being honest. Primal Kyogre would be a good choice if you're expecting a lot of Fire types since it outright neutralises their STAB and hits them supr-effectively. It also gets Ice Beam to deal with most Grass types that could show up and Rayquaza if it tries to switch in. A bulkier Kyogre might just straight up win v Ray actually, but double check that. Just watch out for a sneaky Bloom Doom from a Fire type with Solar Beam.

For Mewtwo, your best options depend on the form your dealing with really. Lunala and Necrozma-DM are both reasonable good at checking either Mega Mewtwo and definitely check base Mewtwo. Alolan Muk is pretty much a hard wall for base Mewtwo and Mewtwo Y but dies hard to Mewtwo X. But Mewtwo X can be checked by stuff like Lugia or Bulky Giratina.

If you're determined to use Excadrill, use Mold Breaker not Sand Rush. Otherwise you're required to make use of a Sand Stream Pokemon like Tyranitar, Gigalith or Hippowdon and idk how good any of them are liable to be in this "meta". Besides, so far most of your team is going to suffer from sand just as much as your opponents if not more. But you're probably better off going with something like Zygarde or Primal Groudon for your ground type.

Comfey and Sylveon are both outclassed by a mile by more powerful Fairies like Xerneas, Arceus-Fairy and Magearna. Clefable and Alomola are better Wish healers iirc.

Umbreon is out done by stuff like Yveltal and Arceus-Dark and is, again, not as good a Wish healer as Clefable nor as good a wall/pivot as Blissey or Alolan Muk.

Being blunt, this team looks really patched together without any real strategy in mind. You don't have a clear win condition at all and half your team is geared towards Stall while the other half looks geared to Hyper Offence. I'd advise starting from scratch with a clearer strategy and win condition in mind. Also, I notice you don't have any hazard setters. If your opponents aren't prepared for hazards, you could cause some very real problems for them with a suicide lead Smeargle.

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2020
    True, very true. this team was kinda just patched together with what i had at the time. i didn't really have much strategy in mind while making it. This isn't on smogon so im gonna have to use what i can get my hands on, i might be able to get a Kyogre, Xerneas, Smeargle. maybe a Blissey. not gonna be able to get Arceus, Yveltal, or alolan muk. do you have any other suggestions for a mewtwo counter, it will most likely be a non mega. i dont know if i can get a Zygarde or Primal Groudon for my ground type and ive already ev trained my excadrill.

what i do have is an almost perf iv riolu and a decent gyrados, i can get any of the legendary birds (sadly not ho-oh or lugia) would they be any good in this team?

If i were to get a xerneas would it be better to set it up as a geomancy or something else?

I want this team to be a hyper offense, but how does one acomplish that and have all the parts work together? do you just have one switch in thats a tank to soak up the damage, then just switch back into your attackers? i apologize for i am a noob

When your saying a bulky kyogre are you thinking total bulk like this
    Kyogre @ Blue Orb
    Ability: Drizzle
    EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 SpD
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    - Toxic
    or more like a little bulk investment into a special attacker
    Kyogre @ Blue Orb
    Ability: Drizzle
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Water Spout
    - Calm Mind
    - Origin Pulse
    - Ice Beam

I really like the idea of smeargle since i know that opponents wont be ready for hazards. I had this in mind for him
    Smeargle @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Own Tempo
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Stealth Rock
    - Taunt/Spore
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Whirlwind

i'm kinda new to competitive so sorry if asking a bunch of stupid questions.

Years

• If it's a gen 7 game, shouldn't Alolan Muk be really easy to get your hands on? Anyway, don't worry about asking questions, that's how you learn.

Starting with your Smeargle, that is pretty close to the set you want. That being said, Sticky Web is usually a go-to for Smeargle so maybe this instead. Remember, it's a suicide lead whose job is to Spore the other guy, set up hazards and then die allowing a free switch.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Own Tempo
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Sticky Web
    - Spore/Taunt
    - Stealth Rock/Toxic Spikes
    - Whirlwind/Nuzzle/Glare

As far as Kyogre goes, I looked into it and Bulky Kyogre still gets 2HKO'd by Dragon Ascent from Mega Rayquaza, and only 2HKOs with Ice Beam in turn. Since Ray is faster, that means Kyogre always loses unless it catches it on the switch in, which usually won't happen. So you're better off with the more offensive one you listed second since it, while it can't switch in on Ray and still loses most of the time, it can at least OHKO Ray if someone is dumb enough to switch it in.

Mega Rayquaza is extremely hard to counter, honestly even Xerneas shouldn't switch into it if it can avoid it. That being said, it's better than nothing. So if it's main function is checking Mega Ray, you'll actually want a more defensive Xerneas. If you're confident in an easy switch in though or don't mind sacking something for the free switch, I'd suggest looking into Scarf Xerneas or maybe Geomancy Xerneas.

I don't know why Alolan Muk would be hard to get, and I still think it's one of your best options. But you could also look into stuff like Giratina, Scarf Gengar etc. Tapu Lele might work but idk.

I'm not great at hyper offence myself, but the general idea is that you don't want to be forced to make a lot of reactive switches. So you need to be able to deal as much damage with as little switching as possible, make good predictions or keep the momentum on your side with U-Turn/Volt Switch. Reactive switches are defensive and you don't want to be forced to do that with a team that isn't built for tanking hits. What you were describing sounds more like balance, which honestly I prefer. It's more beginner-friendly as a playstyle and lacks the gaping weaknesses stall and hyper offence have, even though it also isn't necessarily as powerful or bulky.

Back