• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Flames Of Darkness

*Davyn*

Musician
Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2010
    This is a story I have writen awhile back. It is place in the world of Kryn, part of the Dragonlance series if you are familliar with it. Please enjoy and any constructive critisism will be apperciated.

Chapter 1
    The Dream.The truth.
    Coming of age.Life in the mountains.

Fire. It swirled all around him. With darkness it overtook all it touched and killed them. In the center was a young man, roughly 18 with black hair and eyes. He wore simple Black leather breeches and a white woolen shirt with a black leather shirt on top. The darkness swirled with the awful fire and killed everyone, everyone he knew or cared for. All was left was him. No, another being came in. It was a woman looking like she was in her 20's but was definitely much older by the look of her Black eyes. She also had black hair and was wearing a simple Black dress. She was the source of the dark and the fire, it spewed forms her fingertips. All the while she laughed, as though it was some big joke. She laughed and laughed, she killed everyone the boy knew, and she was coming for him next.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Ivan woke with a start. It toke him a minute or two to get his bearings. He was at home in his two story house up in the Vingaurd Mountains not two weeks walk to Palanthas. It was cold up in the mountains but this settlement was made in a valley deep in the mountains, but still high up enough to feel the mountain weather.
    It was a dream. But what a horrible dream! Then a thought occurred to him. What if it was another one of my prophecies? Ivan was afflicted with prophecies that he would have in dreams. They all came true; this fact was not comforting in the situation. He decided he'd better get ready for another summer day in the mountains. Wait it was actually the first of autumn, his favorite season. All seasons have their beauty in the mountains. Spring was a budding of hope with light making the snow melt away. Summer made the grass look like emeralds glimmering in the sunlight. Autumn made the trees look alive with rubies. Winter made the ground look as diamonds. Overall though autumn was the best to Ivan. A pale gray light streamed from his window, it was not much after dawn. He quickly got dressed in his clothes, the same he wore in the dream and got his autumn cloak. He had four cloaks, for one always needed a cloak to keep warm in the mountains. He quickly fastened his sword to his belt and went downstairs. His mother was making his breakfast. A sort of Dear bacon with eggs. His mother was the head cook in the inn in the town and always wore a long garnet skirt with a white blouse along with a food stained apron. His father was eating his breakfast. His father wore simple leather breeches and a white woolen shirt. He also was the town blacksmith as well as mayor. This was when Ivan noticed he'd been sweating what seemed like gallons. He sat down and drank all the water in his wooden cup then made his way to the food.
    "Another prophecy? "His mother asked after she looked at him. He simply nodded his head.
    "What was it?" His father asked. Ivan related the dream to them with a grave tone.
    "Tell no one!" his father said to them both. This was one time Ivan could agree. His was in no hurry however to change the subject however.
    "Was that woman my true mother?" he asked. At this his father choked on his drink a little.
    This was a topic that, although not very frequently discussed, was a stressful one.
    There was an oppressive silence that hung over the room.
    "Yes." His father said.
    "But…" his mother started but Ivan's father would have none of it.
    "The boy deserves to know!" He shouted. "About eighteen years ago a woman came to up in the mountains. Your dream described her perfectly. She came and seemed to be afflicted with a disease of some sort. We tried to help her but she just said she wanted us to kill the child. We refused and made her have you. When she saw you she must have changed her mind about killing you because she decided to let you live she said and left you to us. She was a powerful Black robed wizardress so we didn't care. She said you would want to know a few things about your….powers so she left you these letters." He said as he got out some envelopes from a drawer.
    Ivan looked long and hard at the envelopes and finally toke them from his father. They were black bound with a red ribbon. Ivan looked at them both. One said Foresight, the other said Magic. Ivan opened the foresight one first. It described to him that foresight ran in the family and that he most likely had it too. It also said that they were often cryptic and could be easily misunderstood.
    Ivan opened the Magic letter next. The letter contained an explanation that being able to use magic was in a family's blood. The letter said that Ivan himself might be a vessel for the Black moon's power.
    Yet again there was a silence in the room. After a minute Ivan said "I'm going to go out to get the metal dad and then I'll meet you in the shop."
    Today was special; he was to make his next weapon.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
    Ivan was turning nineteen years of age. In his village eighteen was the age in which you can do a great many more things. You can go hunting alone, you can buy ale from the inn, and most importantly you were allowed to marry. Being the Mayor's son Ivan was expected to be married and have a child on the way by time he was twenty. Being nineteen usually meant you were married. Ivan wasn't. Ivan had talked and gotten to know every woman in the village and he hated each one. As the letter said he did notice he had some magic. He used this to read the women's minds. This trick was only able to be used on those of weak minds, more reason he didn't marry. The main reason was this, each woman wanted the same thing. To be married to the Mayor's son. They didn't care who it was. For this reason Ivan remained unmarried.
    For Ivan's family there was another tradition. At eighteen you were to make your first weapon. Ivan made himself a nice sword. It was perfect in every way, the finest steel, perfect balance and a beautiful hilt with a black obsidian orb in it. Now at nineteen you were to make your second weapon. Noctel was going to make another perfectly identical sword. For that reason he headed to the mountains. He was going to get the same steel that he used for his first blade.
    Ivan first went to the new Temple of Mishikal. Even though it was not even three years after the War of the Lance a priest made it here. Ivan went to the temple to pray to Mishikal for a safe uneventful journey to and from the mountain. While he was there the priest, Dalbor, stopped to give his greetings.
    "Hello young Ivan, did you have a quiet sleep last night or was it full of another prophecy?" Dalbor asked. It was a simple question asked to Ivan but it held many problems with it.
    "No Father Dalbor my sleep was quiet." Ivan said. It was best they didn't know the truth. "I came to pray for a safe journey to the mountains where I plan to get the iron to make my second sword."
    "Ahh," Dalbor said "well Mishikal shall be with you on your journey."
    "Thank you." Ivan said as he went on his way.
    As he walked to the outskirts of the city there was a multitude of Hellos and good mornings from the town, especially from the women.
    He finally got to the mountains and went into the cave where his iron was. Half mined like he left it. It was beautiful iron, sparkling like silver. It was part silver apparently but that didn't matter, it would be steel soon enough. Ivan toke out his tools and went to work extracting the metal. It was tough work but that was how he got as strong as he was, he got enough to make not only one but about twelve swords, you need that much in case you mess up.
    He went home and got working on making the beautiful weapon. He worked through the night but the next day he had a sword perfectly identical to the one he made last year.
    He went upstairs and slept. He slept soundly and heavily through the next day. His sleep went undisturbed by dreams. It was one of the best sleeps he had. But the next night would herald the beginning of the longest quest he would take. He would be changed forever.

Krystallyn

☼ ♥You make me smile♥ ☼
    Years
  • Fire. It swirled all around him. With darkness, it overtook all it touched, and killed them. In the center was a young man, roughly 18 with black hair and eyes. He wore simple black leather breeches and a white woolen shirt, with a black leather shirt on top. The darkness swirled with the awful fire and killed everyone. Everyone he knew or cared for. All that was left was him. No, another being came in. It was a woman who looked like she was in her 20's but was definitely much older by the look of her black eyes. She also had black hair, and was wearing a simple black dress. She was the source of the dark and the fire; it spewed forms her fingertips. All the while she laughed, as though it was some big joke. She laughed and laughed; she killed everyone the boy knew, and she was coming for him next.
    -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Ivan woke with a start. It toke him a minute or two to get his bearings. He was at home in his two story house up in the Vingaurd Mountains not two weeks walk to Palanthas. It was cold up in the mountains, but this settlement was made in a valley deep in the mountains. It was still high up enough to feel the mountain weather, though.
    It was a dream. But what a horrible dream! Then, a thought occurred to him. What if it was another one of my prophecies? Ivan was afflicted with prophecies that he would have in dreams. They all came true; this fact was not comforting in the situation. He decided he'd better get ready for another summer day in the mountains. [Wait it was actually the first of autumn, his favorite season.]

I would try to rewrite this last sentence. It kinda upsets the story's flow.

All seasons have their beauty in the mountains. Spring was a budding (flower, beacon, symbol, tier, ect.?) of hope, with light making the snow melt away. Summer made the grass look like emeralds glimmering in the sunlight. Autumn made the trees look alive with rubies. Winter made the ground look as diamonds. Overall, though, autumn was the best to Ivan. A pale gray light streamed from his window; it was not much after dawn. Quickly, he got dressed in his clothes, the same he wore in the dream, and got his autumn cloak. He had four cloaks, for one always needed a cloak to keep warm in the mountains. He quickly fastened his sword to his belt and went downstairs, where his mother was making (take out 'his' here) breakfast. A sort of Dear bacon with eggs.

I don't understand this last sentence. Please explain.

His mother was the head cook in the inn in the town (?) and always wore a long garnet skirt and a white blouse, along with a food stained apron. His father was eating his breakfast. He wore simple leather breeches and a white woolen shirt. He (take out 'also' here) was the town blacksmith as well as mayor. This was when Ivan noticed he'd been sweating what seemed like gallons. He sat down and drank all the water in his wooden cup, then made his way to the food.
    "Another prophecy? "His mother asked after she looked at him. He simply nodded his head.
    "What was it?" His father asked. Ivan related the dream to them with a grave tone.
    "Tell no one!" his father said to them both. This was one time Ivan could agree. His was in no hurry, however, to change the subject (take out 'however' right here).
    "Was that woman my true mother?" he asked. At this, his father choked on his drink a little.
    This was a topic that, although not very frequently discussed, was a stressful one.
    There was an oppressive silence that hung over the room.

I would change this last sentence to, An opressive sentence hung over the room.

"Yes." His father said.
    "But…" his mother started, but Ivan's father would have none of it.
    "The boy deserves to know!" He shouted. "About eighteen years ago a woman came to up in the mountains. Your dream described her perfectly. She came, and seemed to be afflicted with a disease of some sort. We tried to help her but she just said she wanted us to kill the child. We refused and made her have you. When she saw you she must have changed her mind about killing you, because she decided to let you live. She said (what did she say?) and left you to us. She was a powerful black robed wizardress, so we didn't care. She said you would want to know a few things about your….powers, so she left you these letters." He said as he got out some envelopes from a drawer.
    Ivan looked long and hard at the envelopes and finally took them from his father. They were black, bound with a red ribbon. Ivan looked at them both. One said Foresight, the other said Magic. Ivan opened the foresight one first. It described to him that foresight ran in the family, and that he most likely had it too. It also said that they were often cryptic and could be easily misunderstood.
    Ivan opened the Magic letter next. The letter contained an explanation, that being able to use magic was in a family's blood. The letter said that Ivan himself might be a vessel for the black moon's power.
    Yet again, there was a silence in the room. After a minute, Ivan said "I'm going to go out to get the metal, Dad, and then I'll meet you in the shop."
    Today was special; he was to make his next weapon.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
    Ivan was turning nineteen years of age. In his village, eighteen was the age in which you could do a great many more things. You could go hunting alone, you could buy ale from the inn, and most importantly you were allowed to marry. Being the mayor's son, Ivan was expected to be married and have a child on the way by time he was twenty. Being nineteen usually meant you were married. Ivan wasn't. Ivan had talked and gotten to know every woman in the village, and he hated each one. As the letter said, he did notice he had some magic. He used this to read the women's minds. This trick was only able to be used on those of weak minds, more reason he didn't marry. The main reason was this, each woman wanted the same thing. To be married to the mayor's son. They didn't care who it was. For this reason Ivan remained unmarried.

I like this part of the storyline. Kinda makes you wonder if a girl will come into his life, a girl with a strong mind, and win his heart.

For Ivan's family, there was another tradition. At eighteen, you were to make your first weapon. Ivan made himself a nice sword. It was perfect in every way; the finest steel, perfect balance, and a beautiful hilt with a black obsidian orb in it. Now, at nineteen, you were to make your second weapon. Noctel was going to make another perfectly identical sword. For that reason, he headed to the mountains. He was going to get the same steel that he used for his first blade.
    Ivan first went to the new Temple of Mishikal. Even though it was not even three years after the War of the Lance, a priest made it here. Ivan went to the temple to pray to Mishikal for a safe, uneventful journey to and from the mountain. While he was there, the priest, Dalbor, stopped to give his greetings.
    "Hello young Ivan. Did you have a quiet sleep last night, or was it full of another prophecy?" Dalbor asked. It was a simple question asked to Ivan, but it held many problems with it.
    "No, Father Dalbor, my sleep was quiet." Ivan said. It was best they didn't know the truth. "I came to pray for a safe journey to the mountains, where I plan to get the iron to make my second sword."
    "Ahh," Dalbor said "well, Mishikal shall be with you on your journey."
    "Thank you." Ivan said as he went on his way.
    As he walked to the outskirts of the city, there was a multitude of Hellos and good mornings from the town, especially from the women.
    He finally got to the mountains and went into the cave where his iron was. Half mined, like he left it. It was beautiful iron, sparkling like silver. It was part silver, apparently, but that didn't matter; it would be steel soon enough. Ivan took out his tools and went to work extracting the metal. It was tough work, but that was how he had gotten as strong as he was. He got enough to make not only one, but about twelve swords; you need that much in case you mess up.
    He went home and got working on making the beautiful weapon. He worked through the night, but the next day, he had a sword perfectly identical to the one he made last year.

Here, you should make the last sentence into two. Maybe like, He worked through the night. By dawn of the next day, he had made a sword entirely identical to that of last year.

He went upstairs and slept. He slept soundly and heavily through the next day. His sleep went undisturbed by dreams. It was one of the best sleeps he had. But the next night would herald the beginning of the longest quest he would take. He would be changed forever.

Is this a short story, or are there chapters? If it's not yet finished, I should love to keep reading. Please write more. :) And this sounds a lot like a Dragon Lance sequel. Yup, I have read the series. :) You're a good author. Next time, though, try to make the font a little bigger. It'll be easier to read that way.

Last edited:
    Back