• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Patch: No Music Patches for Emerald & FireRed

SidDays

Professional Lurker
Years
Disables background music for Pokémon Emerald & FireRed, but keeps the SFX intact.

I often play the games (and hacks) on an emulator sped up to 200% or more, and the background music gets distorted; I also like to have my own Spotify playlists in the background, and wanted to retain SFX for a better experience, hence the patches. Maybe someone else will find them useful; they're great for narrating over.

DOWNLOAD
MediaFire

I've been wanting to do this for a while — while fiddling with the ROMS in Sappy, I noticed that if I just change the pointers for the music tracks to 00 it effectively disables the music. (I've done both Emerald and FireRed just in case, but it's quite easy to do for any game and I can make a tutorial if people want one.)

SidDays

Professional Lurker
Years
I forgot to ask does this also work with hacks

It will work fine if the hack does not modify the music (i.e. add/remove new music tracks). I'd recommend patching a clean rom with this first and then applying the hack patch onto it. Even if it doesn't work, it shouldn't break the ROM, because most hacks that add new music generally repoint the song table, but make a backup just in case.

You can use Sappy and a hex editor to disable music in a hack if the song table was repointed, but that might take some trial and error.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
This is great! I needed this for my streams so I could play music in it 😀

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 19, 2024
This patch is great for my VBA ROM, thanks! I was wondering if 'by changing the pointers for the music tracks to 00', there was some way to get all the Hex as an ActionReplayV3 Code? I don't own an EZ Flash but do own an AR Adapter for GBA and would prefer to have my cartridge emerald game without music at all when playing. Any insight you could give even if this can't be directly done would be appreciated. :)

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
This patch is great for my VBA ROM, thanks! I was wondering if 'by changing the pointers for the music tracks to 00', there was some way to get all the Hex as an ActionReplayV3 Code? I don't own an EZ Flash but do own an AR Adapter for GBA and would prefer to have my cartridge emerald game without music at all when playing. Any insight you could give even if this can't be directly done would be appreciated. :)

I don't think so, because there's a limit to how many rom bytes an action replay code can change.
Although there might be some other way to achieve the same thing.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 14, 2022
Hey, thanks for this simple QoL patch!

I want to report a couple inconsistencies:
. bg music still plays in the safari zone.
. also during evolution (maybe a conscious choice)? This is really jarring because you want to hear the cry clearly, but can't.

Also I personally wouldn't mind the theme music when starting a battle- it sounds like a brief effect rather than true bg music.

Thanks again !

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
Disables background music for Pokémon Emerald & FireRed, but keeps the SFX intact.

I often play the games (and hacks) on an emulator sped up to 200% or more, and the background music gets distorted; I also like to have my own Spotify playlists in the background, and wanted to retain SFX for a better experience, hence the patches. Maybe someone else will find them useful; they're great for narrating over.

Can I upload these onto Romhacking.net on your behalf? I'll give you full credit.

Back