• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknames

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    Do you nickname your Pokemon generally, and what kind of names do you give them, and was it always that way for you?

What about when you trade or happen upon Pokes from someone else? Do you keep their names or make your own, or hack them off?

I didn't use to name my Pokemon until gen 2. Since then I love getting attached to them. The Pokes I use competitively are the ones I go through the game with. This also means I IV and EV train (all that boring stuff) before the game starts or I take long breaks inbetween to accomplish that.
    I rarely come across other battles with teams nicknamed, so I must be in the minority.

I've bought used games with good Pokemon on them that I traded over. I kept all their names, even if they were stupid to me. The same way I'd want my names to be remembered, I do that for them. Gives the Pokes their own stories too. Like adopting a kid. You still keep their original names.

As for what I nickname, usually what's just on my mind that they remind me of. I first played Y when I discovered Shakugan no Shana, thus almost all my Pokemon were named after characters, things or terms from it.
    That's generally how it goes. Can't say what they'll be named in the next game. I have a few names still on my mind, but I have to judge them myself. It has to fit them personally, otherwise there's no point.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • If I use it, it HAS to have a nickname. Sadly, there were some Shinies I caught before that I forgot to nickname prior to transferring them over. :(

I remember nicknaming some Pok?mon in Silver, Ruby, and XD (my Gen. III nickname choices were particularly weird), but it wasn't until the later days of DPPt that I really got addicted to nicknaming. It started off with my Ice-Monotype team in Pearl, giving each member Japanese winter-related names.

Now I try to give my Pok?mon names that I can somehow relate to their design, Ability, etc., be it the actual meaning of the name or something the name sounds like. Some examples include Torrin for Wartortle (sounds like Torrent, the default ability of Water Starters), Tahki for Alolan Sandslash (means cold, IIRC), and Jasper for Persian (a red gem, not unlike that on Persian's head). I generally avoid nicknames that I couldn't imagine working as "human" names (a rule I also follow when naming pets) as well as Japanese names since I kind of wore those out in Gen. IV.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    I do not. I actually dislike nicknames, so much so that I do have a problem with all in-game trades being nicknamed...

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    The same reason people like them, I guess: personal preference.

Last edited:
    Back