• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film Weirdest Movie?

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I figure Eraserhead is too obvious so I'm going to go with Maximum Overdrive, directed by Stephen King.

It's about a comet that causes inanimate objects to come to life and attack humans, ultimately trapping the titular characters in a gas station. While the survivors plan an escape, they are encircled in by a group of big rigs (one of which is literally cosplaying as the Green Goblin????) and forced to communicate in morse code to trade diesel fuel for their lives. However, it becomes clear that they are being enslaved by these trucks / machines so they throw a grenade and escape through a sewer hatch and destroy the Green Goblin truck with a rocket launcher that they just magically had.

In the end there was also this secondary plot about a Soviet satellite with a laser cannon that destroyed a UFO? And the comet didn't hit Earth?

Last edited:

User Anon 1848

Well I'll shamelessly mention another of David Lynch's films, Fire Walk With Me.

*warning one minor swear word is used towards the end of the clip*

It'll be even weirder if you haven't seen Twin Peaks but it does work as a standalone movie if you don't care about spoilers for the show.

VisionofMilotic

Ekans' attack continues!
    Years
  • A film starring Viggo Mortensen called Jauja. It was on the slow side, but midway through it piqued my interest, and while nothing was implicitly stated I had some theories about what was happening. It looked like the film was taking a turn toward the supernatural. However, then came the ending...it suddenly fast forwarded to many years later, and I was so confused. I don't understand what happened, and this is from someone who can usually follow David Lynch and Lars Von Trier films.

For what it is worth Viggo was good in his role. Maybe if I were to see this film again, I would pick up something that I missed beofore, and it would click for me. I just don't know what to say about this one. It's just one big riddle for me.

Eyes Wide Shut is another weird, creepy film, that sinister music, the masks. I actually like it, at least until the very end. The director Stanley Kubrick unfortunately passed away as the movie was being finished, and it shows. The movie just goes off abruptly after all that suspense, it was about to get good. I shouted at the TV in disbelief as the credits rolled.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Eyes Wide Shut was great!! Stanley Kubrick's work is so incredibly iconic and cerebral.

I'm going to list Where the Buffalo Roam by Art Linson too. That movie is a trip and a half. Part comedy and part historical biography staring Bill Murray. You can kinda imagine how that goes, lol.

Finally, At the Mountains of Madness, originally authored by H. P. Lovecraft. I'm... not even going to attempt to explain it.

Cid

Years
  • There was this one movie I had to watch for a humanities course in uni that I can't remember the title of. The protagonist was a child who was born already having the mind of an adult. It was a foreign language film, some European language like German or something, and the kid went on to do adult things throughout the movie but with the actor looking like a child. Man that movie was weird.

Back