• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokemon Red Rumor (Pokered Hack)

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2023
    I originally posted this on Skeetendo a few years ago, and was waiting to finish my second hack before uploading this here, for reasons, but I'm not 100% sure if or when I'll be ready to post said second hack, so I decided to go ahead and post this now, for the sake of sharing it. Here is the link to the original post: https://hax.iimarckus.org/topic/7641/

Hello all!

This is my first rom hack after restarting over and over with multiple rombases over the last year, I finally have a finished product that I'm proud of, so without further ado...

Hack Name: Pokemon Red Rumor
    Hack of: Pokemon Red

Storyline:
    The story is largely unchanged from Pokemon Red, but I added in the unfortunately false pokemon rumors of the 90s such as Pokegods, Mist Stones, and Brick Town. Not all rumors made the cut (who wants to beat the E4 40 times or with a Caterpie, or program it??) and some methods to activating these old "codes" were made a little more understandable in the context of the game.

There are 2 versions to choose from. A cheat and a non cheat version. Inspired by a lot of Pokegods being supposedly obtainable by GameShark, I created a GameShark item that is unobtainable in non-cheat version (outside of using your emulator's own cheat function to give it to yourself ;)), but replaces the Potion at the beginning of the game.

I've included along with the 2 ips, documentation on how to get all the Pokegods and various extra events and credits again.

Screenshots:
    12Y1x0e.png

Game is considered complete as of Version 1.1. Unless someone finds an egregious glitch or bug or oversight that I missed.

Credits:
    Coding Stuff:
    pret: Original pokered disassembly
    Danny-E 33: The Gen-II graphics rombase, various bits of advice such as how the Missingno glitch works
    glodfinch: Remove saving from the safari zone
    Luna: Various upgrades from Red++ and pokered-clean
    Rangi: RedStar which inspired me to make my own romhack
    RenaKunisaki: Fine grain text speeds and debug menu which was turned into the GameShark item, better move info in battle
    ShantyTown: Auto reuse repel, Move Reminder
    ShinyDragonHunter: Blinking arrow in new paragraphs

Sprite Stuff:
    RainbowDevs: Sprites for all the Mega Evolutions, Spiritomb sprites by COMBOY,
    GameFreak: Hifishi is the beta Qwilifish evo, as well as all original GSC sprites
    Poketto: Red Backsprite
    Pia Carrot and Copetin: the old man's back sprite
    DarioEMeloD: Pokeball and Snorlax devamps
    BurstXShadowzX - Leaf devamps

The Alolan Raticate, Venustoise, Kriketune, Armored Mewtwo and Diamond Onix are from a resource provided by bloodlessNS but I was unable to find the creators, sorry.

If I missed anyone or anything, please let me know. I really wanna make sure everyone who helped is properly thanked.

Quick update: Forgot one sprite creator, and uh.. well forgot that I changed the game's name mid production, whoopsy.
    Update: Version 1.1 release

Version History:
    Version 1.0 - Initial Release
    Version 1.1 - Added Move Reminder in Vermilion City, Onix has his moveset and Dimonix has his, slight text change in Outcast Cave

Download Link:

Attachments

• RedRumor.zip
      685.3 KB · Views: 449

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • Oh wow, this looks pretty dope, I do remember coming across this on Skeetendo. Would you consider making a more difficult mod? Thank you!

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2023
    Oh wow, this looks pretty dope, I do remember coming across this on Skeetendo. Would you consider making a more difficult mod? Thank you!

If you mean for this hack in particular, I'm not sure. I may revisit it again one day and do some tweaks.

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2024
    Is the game meant to be in color? I noticed the screenshots all are but my game isn't so I don't know.

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2024
    What emulator are you using?

VBA-M. And because you asked I just checked to see if it was working on mGBA and the color does appear to work on that. Only problem is the screen has that TCG border around it. Know of a way to fix it on VBA-M? For what it's worth, I also just checked to see if Shin Red works with color on the same VBA-M emulator and it does, so I really have no clue what the problem could be.

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2023
    Oh wow, this looks pretty dope, I do remember coming across this on Skeetendo. Would you consider making a more difficult mod? Thank you!

VBA-M. And because you asked I just checked to see if it was working on mGBA and the color does appear to work on that. Only problem is the screen has that TCG border around it. Know of a way to fix it on VBA-M? For what it's worth, I also just checked to see if Shin Red works with color on the same VBA-M emulator and it does, so I really have no clue what the problem could be.

Ok I looked into it. In VBA-M you need to go to Options>Game Boy>Configure and set Emulated System to Automatic.

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2024
    Ok I looked into it. In VBA-M you need to go to Options>Game Boy>Configure and set Emulated System to Automatic.

Thanks, that worked! Wanna know the crazy thing? It WAS set to automatic. That being the case, I changed it to GBA, reset the emulator, changed it BACK to automatic and reset again. Had that TCG border like mGBA but it was in color this time. Setting it to "border" and then switching it off "border" fixed that issue as well for anyone that runs into that issue too. Really weird but glad it's fixed, thanks again man, I know that probably took a bit of time.

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2023
    Thanks, that worked! Wanna know the crazy thing? It WAS set to automatic. That being the case, I changed it to GBA, reset the emulator, changed it BACK to automatic and reset again. Had that TCG border like mGBA but it was in color this time. Setting it to "border" and then switching it off "border" fixed that issue as well for anyone that runs into that issue too. Really weird but glad it's fixed, thanks again man, I know that probably took a bit of time.

No prob. Hope you enjoy the hack.

Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2023
    There's a bug regarding Bill's Garden: if the staircase hasn't appeared yet but you stand where it's supposed to be, and press right, you'll enter the garden regardless.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2022
    I'm also having issue with the color, but I'm using Nostalgia GBC pro, I tried looking through my settings but I don't seem to have an option for that.

chumon

The Chu Monster
    Years
  • I'm assuming this is different from the one Mateo was working on? (Unless you ARE Mateo dundundunnnloljk unless...?) I suppose he's stopped working on it as I haven't heard anything about it in literal years. I'm glad that someone else took up the idea since I've really wanted to play his for years and years but it never got finished. I've just downloaded it and I will be sure to tell you how it goes. :) thanks for all the effort on this! I'm excited to try it out.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm assuming this is different from the one Mateo was working on? (Unless you ARE Mateo dundundunnnloljk unless...?) I suppose he's stopped working on it as I haven't heard anything about it in literal years. I'm glad that someone else took up the idea since I've really wanted to play his for years and years but it never got finished. I've just downloaded it and I will be sure to tell you how it goes. :) thanks for all the effort on this! I'm excited to try it out.

The one you're thinking of is "Secrets and Rumors" by Mateo

Years
  • How do I get the gameshark item?

There are 2 versions to choose from. A cheat and a non cheat version. Inspired by a lot of Pokegods being supposedly obtainable by GameShark, I created a GameShark item that is unobtainable in non-cheat version (outside of using your emulator's own cheat function to give it to yourself ;)), but replaces the Potion at the beginning of the game.

READING HELPS

Days
    • Seen today
    quick question im in sea foam and i haven't found the mist stone, and i tried the item finder everywhere.

if someone knows where it is let me know.

Back