• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Operation: Cute Star (OU RMT)

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
  • Introduction

Okay, so quite frankly, every single team I've made as of late has been heavy stall (And no, that CroDra team was too far away for it to count xD). To be honest, I've just been super bored with it, and I wanted to switch it up, going back to a more offensive approach. While pondering on the server last night with Beachy at what I can build a team around, it came to me that I should use my favorite Pokemon ever: Jirachi! Jirachi has great typing, and it's weaknesses can be blocked and used to another one of my favorite's advantages: Swampert. I knew what my team was going to be built around, and I noticed right away that this team was going to become a semi-stall team. Jirachi needs the Toxic Spikes support to help blow through its counters, and they also help Swampert as well. Stealth Rock is an obvious must, and normal Spikes fits quite nicely with this team as well. I was happy with the theme of the team, and the building of it came slowly at first. Then I just started ranting to Beachy, while he just said yep, that works (Note to Beachy: You really did throw some good stuff into it though =P). So I'll just present to you my team building process of Operation: Cute Star.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Team Building Process

dpiconani385.gif

I knew Jirachi was going to be the focus of this team, and I knew that I was going to use the SubCM set to do it. This was obviously the easy choice to make on the team.

dpiconani130.gif
    dpiconani385.gif

I knew that I wanted a sweeping counterpart to go with Jirachi, one that covered Jirachi's weaknesses. Gyarados fit the bill quite nicely, especially with Heatran running around everywhere (One of Jirachi's best checks). Gyarados took the Ground and Fire attacks nicely, and fit in easily enough.

dpiconani205.gif
    dpiconani130.gif
    dpiconani385.gif

I knew I wanted Spikes, and one of the only two reliable ones in OU are Skarmory and Forretress. I debated for a good while, and both had the fire weakness, which I knew I would continue to cover up later. I realized I was going to want Rapid Spin as well, to get rid of foe Spikes (For Jirachi) and SR (For Gyara). It solidified my choice of Forretress all the more.

dpiconani248.gif
    dpiconani205.gif
    dpiconani130.gif
    dpiconani385.gif

Next I wanted to choose my Stealth Rocker. After looking at all of my available options, I wanted another Fire resist. I also knew that I wanted a little more special defense in the team. I came down to Tyranitar and Blissey. Looking at the rest of my team, I knew I still needed a Toxic Spiker left. It was a difficult choice, but I ended up choosing Tyranitar. The advantage of being able to PHaze was an immediate perk for me, and his STAB moves were a major help. Also, Sandstorm really aids Gyara and Jirachi's sweeps, so it was a rather good fit. Oddly enough, it served as my lead, because it can take on common leads rather easily (See the in-depth view).

dpiconani248.gif
    dpiconani407.gif
    dpiconani205.gif
    dpiconani130.gif
    dpiconani385.gif

Toxic Spikes was a little more tricky to choose. I knew that I could potentially throw it onto Forry, but I really didn't want to have it doing so many jobs. I knew it could get it done when played correctly, but I didn't want to risk it. After looking at my Toxic Spikes options, it came down to just two: Roserade and Omastar. Omastar actually fit pretty nicely into the team, but overall it just didn't seem to work in the OU metagame. After testing Roserade (Using D_As bulky set, which works wonders), I noticed that Roserade actually gave me a lot of helpful things. It was a nice and easy check to Swampert, since I can shrug off all of its attacks with a STAB Grass Knot, and oddly enough, it helped me take on Hail teams to a small extent (It takes out StallRein easily, living the Blizzards and reciprocating with a Grass Knot for an easy 2HKO. Okay, so it isn't much, but whatever!) Plus, the easy recovery with Natural Rest is beautiful.

dpiconani248.gif
    dpiconani407.gif
    dpiconani205.gif
    dpiconani479.gif
    dpiconani130.gif
    dpiconani385.gif

Last but not least was my spin blocker. It was easy for me to know I was using Rotom, but the set and the form was a little trickier. Glancing at my team, I realized Mixape kills me rather hard, and it was currently a larger threat to my team (Actually, most Infernape forms sets =P), so that brought me down to Wash and Fan forms. Overall, the Fan form didn't help cover anything much else, so I decided to go with the Wash form. Now the set was actually a little easier for me to choose: Looking my team over, I lacked a way to stop last pokemon sweeps, and in general I was just rather slow. A TrickScarf set fit in like a charm!

dpiconani248.gif
    dpiconani407.gif
    dpiconani205.gif
    dpiconani479.gif
    dpiconani260.gif
    dpiconani385.gif

After some further battling a little more testing, I realized that Gyarados was having a little issue fitting in. It rarely ever got to set up and sweep, and SR weakness was hampering me. I even tried switching to a RestTalk set, but that still just wasn't working well enough for me. I tried a switch over to Swampert, and it worked better, although I'm definitely still willing to switch back.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Operation: Cute Star
    Spr_4h_248.png
    Spr_4p_407_f.png
    Spr_4h_205.png
    Spr_4p_479W.png
    Spr_4d_260.png
    Spr_4d_385.png

In-Depth Look

Spr_b_g4_248.png
    rock.gif

Tyranitar@Lum Berry
    Sand Stream
    Careful Nature
    252 HP/ 126 Atk/ 132 SpD
    rock.gif
    Stealth Rock
    rock.gif
    Stone Edge
    Pursuit
    normal.gif
    Roar

Tyranitar is currently one of the best leads in the metagame, by far. It deals with a lot of top ten leads (Which I will show), and serves this team well. Setting up the Sandstorm for this team is really helpful with Jirachi and Swampert, and helps aid their sweeps. Roar is a wonderful PHazer, which serves this team well. Pursuit is surprisingly helpful too, as Tyranitar often comes back in later in the game to switch into a Draco Meteor from the ever common Latias, just to Pursuit it out of here. Stone Edge serves as my primary STAB move, and it does damage well enough for most of the common leads. Against the Top Ten:

dpiconani482.gif
    - It usual Taunts off the bat, so I just Stone Edge for the KO with the help of SS. If I'm unlucky and miss, it will get up its SR, and I'll just go for the KO again. If I'm unlucky AGAIN, Pursuit maims it as it switches.

dpiconani376.gif
    - I lose to Metagross, plain and simple =P I usually just switch out off the bat to Forry, who can set up on him while he EQs or Mashes me.

dpiconani260.gif
    - Set up Stealth Rock, as it can't OHKO me with EQ, period. After the set up, I switch over to Forry usually to set up on it, but Roserade can do the same as well, and threaten with Grass Knot.

dpiconani142.gif
    - It Taunts, I KO with Stone Edge, simple enough =P

dpiconani385.gif
    - My least favorite lead to combat. It usually goes straight for the KO, so I can just switch over to Forry and set up rather easily.

dpiconani392.gif
    - Another tough one here. I usually go right over to Rotom to take the predictable Close Combat or Fake Out, then head over to Swampert to take the usual Fire Blast after.

dpiconani407.gif
    - It uses Sleep Powder, Lum cures off the sleep, and I KO with Stone Edge and Sandstorm. It is surprisingly easy to deal with, especially since I see it more often than not.

dpiconani485.gif
    - Even with Earth Power, it doesn't threaten me. I set up SR on turn one, and if it doesn't switch, hit with Stone Edge.

dpiconani235.gif
    - Heal off the Spore with my Lum Berry, go for the easy KO with Stone Edge.

dpiconani450.gif
    - I don't even try with this thing, I automatically switch over to either Forry or Rotom. If I go to Rotom, I usually switch to Forry after to see what they try to beat it with, and if I switch to Forry, I can set up Spikes easily enough on it.

Spr_b_g4_407_f.png

Roserade@Leftovers
    Natural Cure
    Calm Nature
    252 HP/ 120 Def/ 136 SpD
    Toxic Spikes
    Grass Knot
    Sleep Powder
    psychic.gif
    Rest

Ripped straight for Dark_Azelf, Roserade has been a great addition to this team. Toxic Spikes is almost essential to any Jirachi sweep, which brings Roserade's main purpose straight to the team. One of the main perks for this team is the Natural Rest healing, which increases Roserade's longevity by a lot, which is rather helpful to this team, since Swampert can actually be a bit of a pain to me.
    Spr_b_g4_205.png

Forretress@Leftovers/Shed Shell
    Sturdy
    Careful Nature
    252 HP/ 252 SpD/ 4 Def
    Spikes
    normal.gif
    Rapid Spin
    Payback
    / Gyro Ball / Earthquake

Forretress, is hands down one of the best spikers, period. When the only competition is Skarmory in OU, anyways, Rapid Spin helps bring it ahead. Spikes always aids my sweep, and Rapid Spin gets rid of any pesky Spikes and Toxic Spikes Swampert and Jirachi hate. Payback does well against anything trying to Spin Block me (Mostly Rotom, but I still do a nice chunk). Gyro Ball and Earthquake seem to switch on and off for me. Earthquake is nice to have for the omnipresent Magnezone, which is why I considered running Shed Shell with Gyro Ball and Lefties with EQ. Still, I'm not sure which way to go.
    Spr_b_g4_479W.png

Rotom-W@Choice Scarf
    Levitate
    Timid Nature
    252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP
    Thunderbolt
    Shadow Ball
    Hydro Pump
    Trick

Rotom serves as a little bit of glue for this team. Not only does it add a little revenge killing for this team, it the use of Trick allows me to stop any last Pokemon sweeps, or any set-up sweep in general if I can get in fast enough. Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball pack a punch in the form of STAB, and Hydro Pump is necessary for helping me kill of Mixape easier. Still, if it has a CC defense drop, I can use my other moves, which still makes me question to choice of Rotom form.

Spr_b_g4_260.png

Swampert@Leftovers
    Torrent
    Careful Nature
    252 HP/ 40 Def/ 216 SpD
    curse.gif
    Curse
    Waterfall
    Rest
    normal.gif
    Sleep Talk

CursePert. Is. A. Best. CursePert has consistently set up sweeps for me to wreck the other team, especially when I take out foe Vaporeon out of the picture (And the best part is that I can set up on it with Toxic Spikes in play =D). It really isn't all that difficult to get a few Curses in, especially with Rest Talk. The synergy between Swampert and Jirachi is fantastic too, which allows me to high-tail out of there if need be. Waterfall is a wonderful STAB move for me to abuse to, and if I haven't used Curse at all yet, I can hope for a little flinch hax (Which rarely comes, but whatever =P).

Spr_b_g4_385.png

Jirachi@Leftovers
    Serene Grace
    Timid Nature
    252 HP/ 80 SpA/ 176 Spe
    normal.gif
    Substitute
    Calm Mind
    / Flash Cannon / Psychic
    Thunderbolt

The star of the show right here (No pun intended). With the aid of the rest of my team, Jirachi is actually rather easy for me to set up and sweep endgame with. Although everything is weakened, it certainly is NOT guaranteed, which is why I went with the SubCM set for some extra security, even if I do lose a bunch of coverage. Still, I haven't tested standard Superachi, which I intend to do, just to see if it does better, but I digress. Substitute is wonderful for blocking status if it is still around lategame, and the coverage with either Flash Cannon or Psychic with Thunderbolt is great. The third slot though is still hard for me to choose, and it is really situational, even with my team. Both do a great job, I'm just not sure what to choose. I'm using Flash Cannon currently, but I sort of want to switch over to Psychic again. I'm not sure, so suggestions please.
    Concerns

• The fire type weakness. Although I can cover and play around it (With Swampert and Tyranitar) decently, it still concerns me. I can technically still throw TSpikes onto Forry and then use Roserade's slot for something else, but I'm not sure. If I was to do that, I've considered throwing in Wish Bliss to add some more healing to the team (Even with the amount of Rest present, it helps TTar, Forry, and Jirachi).
    • Salamence in general. Mixmence throws out the Draco Meteor quickly, which TTar can absorb, but it still concerns me. Dragon Dance variants scare me too.
    Sorry, I'm too lazy to do a threat list.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Pursuit user + stat up user anything rips your team to shreds. I.e Lucario.

SD Roost Scizor weak.

DD Tar weak (no, Swampert gets 2hko'd because it has a terrible set).

CroPert + no answer to the things that set up on it is ummm i.e Kingdra, Breloom, Mence etc. :/

Mence weak.

Offensive Cune/Starmie also Manaphy weak.

Terrible spin blocker which loses to the most common spinners i.e Payback forry.

Sleep Powder sucks on Cuterade, it wants HP Fire or Forry, Scizor etc are coming in every time for free. Energy Ball >> Grass Knot. This lets you always beat Rotom and also Blissey 1 vs 1 thanks to the s.def drops.

Tl;dr Scarf Rotom-A is Pursuit bait and CroPert is terrible and Roserade is honestly dead weight and CM Jirachi cant sweep in this metagame there is a reason ScarfRachi is so much better on stall.

Either way those problems REALLY need solving before you do anything, preferably by removing or sorting out the aforementioned pokes.

Last edited:
    Back