• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Pokemon Green

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Pokemon Green is the only Gen I game that wasn't released to English. The Pokemon Red (and Blue) we got was actually the special version of Pokemon Blue in Japan. I think? You guys can correct me if I'm wrong.

So, anyway, the original Pokemon Red & Green had completely different sprites from the international, and even some layouts were different. If I recall correctly Cerulean Cave was different in the Japanese Red & Green. There were also some game breaking glitches such as if you evolve your starter before you get a pokedex, you'll softlock the game.

That being said, have you ever played the Japanese exclusive Pokemon Green? There is, unfortunately a really badly translated bootleg version of Pokemon Green out there but I won't talk too deeply about that.

I've never played the original Pokemon Green, no. I played the bootleg once, and was astonished by how...wild the Pokemon names were. Since it was directly translated from Japanese, all Pokemon only have up to 5 characters. But, I never got far w/that because I stopped playing it. I don't think I wanna play the actual Pokemon Green, though, the sprites are horrifying.

pkmin3033

I have played bootleg Pokemon Green! We were all very impressed by this when we were kids in the playground, we were convinced it was part of a "second wave" of new Pokemon games, and that we'd see it in the shops soon...what we actually got was Pokemon Yellow. Which to be fair, was much better.

Related note but slight tangent, I also had a bootleg copy of Pokemon Leaf Green that actually worked, but I think it was translated rather poorly, because a lot of trainers would call me a bastard if I lost. xD

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i own a copy lol i mean like you're not missing out on anything if you don't play it unless you're like me and don't feel 'complete' without it. but like. you know. it's just like red/blue, but i can't read it. shrugs

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    Not gonna lie but I've always wanted to try playing Green only because it's technically the original version to Red.

Back