• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Help: Pokerus virus explaination!!!

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2019
    Hi everyone,

Can anybody explain how the pokerus works?
    I know it is a good thing and help your pokemon earn double EVs. It is contagious and spread very fast if there is one in your
    team after the battle. So I don't want it to disappear but I heard that it can be cured when the time pass. I google and find
    a lot of articles about it but it doesn't seem clear to me after going through it. I want it to be forever and ever how I should do
    about it and please explain deeply the mechanics of it in details. Should I deposit pokemon with it in the pc or what?

Best,
    Kompaui

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    It doesn't last forever and there is no way to do that. It can spread to your Pokemon in your party as well as the ones in your PC box.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • Pokerus causes infected Pokemon to earn twice the EVs from battling. (EVs gained from items, like vitamins, remain the same.) This means that your Pokemon will be stronger at any given level (up until 100) than a Pokemon without Pokerus, and EV training is that much faster. It doesn't have any other effect.

After each battle, you have (approximately) a 1 in 21,845 chance of one of your Pokemon getting Pokerus. That makes it much rarer than encountering a Shiny. If a Pokemon with Pokerus is in your party, it has a high chance of spreading to the other Pokemon in the party after each battle.

In one to four days after infection, your Pokemon will be "cured" of the Pokerus, meaning it can't infect other Pokemon anymore - but it still gets the double EVs, permanently. You'll know it's cured when the "Pokerus" icon on the Pokemon's page changes to a little face. A Pokemon who has been cured of Pokerus can never get it again.

HOWEVER...if you put your Pokemon in the PC (or the daycare, or Pokemon Bank), any time it spends in there will not count towards the 1-4 day timer. That means that no matter how long you leave your Pokerus Pokemon in the PC, it will still have Pokerus when you take it out. It will only be cured if you keep the Pokemon in your party as the internal clock turns from one day to another, 1-4 times.

So, the smart thing to do when you get Pokerus is to infect some random Pokemon that you don't need, then keep it in the box permanently and only take it out long enough to infect whichever Pokemon you want. (Again, you do this by putting the Pokerus Pokemon in your party, then getting into battles - it's after the battle that it's determined whether the Pokerus has spread.) Because of this method, it's fairly easy to trade for a Pokemon with Pokerus - that's basically the only reliable way to get it, in fact.

Back