• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monotype grass team tips

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2021
    super new to competitive pokemon battling wanted to give it a shot did some research and in a few hours conjured up this monotype grass team wondering what people think and any advice on how it could be made better

dmg/spdef tank (Venusaur-Gmax) @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    Shiny: Yes
    Gigantamax: Yes
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
    Calm Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Solar Beam
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Weather Ball
    - Protect

phys attacker (Dhelmise) @ Iron Ball
    Ability: Steelworker
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - brick break
    - Power Whip
    - Gyro Ball
    - Protect

special attacker (Exeggutor) @ Choice Specs
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Leaf Storm
    - Psychic
    - Solar Beam
    - Dream Eater

SpA support (Amoonguss) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Sunny Day
    - Spore
    - Rage Powder
    - Pollen Puff

tank (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Gyro Ball
    - Leech Seed
    - Toxic
    - Protect

tank support (Whimsicott) @ Mental Herb
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
    Bold Nature
    - Taunt
    - sunny day
    - Light Screen
    - Memento

Years
  • My only tip, especially if you are new to competitive, don't use mono grass in OU. I don't really see how Heatran doesn't 6-0 this team, no fire resist and grass is the worst typing in the game. If you insist on this team, maybe drop Ferrothorn for a lower tier Pokemon and battle in UU? Heatran, Volcarona, and special Nidoking can all singlehandedly wipe this team out and if you get a Rillaboom, Hawlucha team, that pretty much sweeps too. Also, running Sunny Day on a mono grass team just boosts every fire type attack coming your way.

Years
  • I'm assuming this is actually for the mono meta. Either way though, you have a very real Fire problem. You have no way to check or counter Fire-types and are, in fact, only giving Fire-types a big buff to use against you. You don't really have anything for dealing with Flying types either and your checks for Bug, Steel and Ice are all totally dependent on keeping sun up.

Years
  • I'm assuming this is actually for the mono meta. Either way though, you have a very real Fire problem. You have no way to check or counter Fire-types and are, in fact, only giving Fire-types a big buff to use against you. You don't really have anything for dealing with Flying types either and your checks for Bug, Steel and Ice are all totally dependent on keeping sun up.

Could be, some more info would have been nice. Even in the mono meta this team gets rolled for the reasons you and I pointed out already, don't think we'll be hearing anymore about it, though.

Years
  • Could be, some more info would have been nice. Even in the mono meta this team gets rolled for the reasons you and I pointed out already, don't think we'll be hearing anymore about it, though.

Grass in general probably isn't a good starting point for someone new to competitive mono, I imagine. Something like Flying, Water or Dragon is probably a safer bet.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2023
    I'm not really seeing a ton of defenses against common basic weaknesses. Their moves are kinda just random and don't seem to flow together or they're redundant. The goal here is to have as much coverage and versatility in your pokemon, while covering your butt against things that wanna hurt you.

Rule of thumb is generally one or two STAB moves, and depending on the individual, either recovery/setup, coverage to types you don't have anything for, or counters to weaknesses.

Your Exeggutor for example, has 2 grass attacks and 2 psychic attacks that pretty much do the same thing. All of them are high in base power but some rely on some gimmick, and especially with Choice Band, you'll be forced to switch out instantly, since your enemy's gonna predict a grass/psychic move. They could throw in a Houndoom on you without a single care in the world.

- Leaf Storm
    - Psychic
    - Stomping Tantrum
    - Synthesis

Boom, now your Exeggutor has a chance to make trouble for that fire-type switching in on you, and your healing move Synthesis is now ready to go off-the-bat with no setup needed. But I kind of recommend replacing him entirely.

If you're really wanting to keep a Grass mono/gym, you're gonna need some Rain Dancing going.

Your weaknesses: Flying, Poison, Bug, Fire, Ice

Flying weaknesses: Rock, Electric, Ice
    Poison weaknesses: Ground, Psychic
    Bug weaknesses: Flying, Rock, Fire
    Fire weaknesses: Ground, Rock, Water
    Ice weaknesses: Fighting, Rock, Steel, Fire

Let's at least start at that. If you can just threaten those types, you're pretty much golden since grass tends to be bulky.

dmg/spdef tank (Venusaur-Gmax) @ Black Sludge
    Shiny: Yes
    Gigantamax: Yes
    Calm Nature
    - Solar Beam
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Weather Ball
    - Protect

Let's do your Venusaur for example.

dmg/spdef tank (Venusaur) @Venusaurite
    Ability: Thick Fat
    Shiny: Sure?
    Mega Evolution: Yes
    Calm Nature
    Hidden Power: Rock
    - Leaf Storm / Energy Ball
    - Hidden Power
    - Weather Ball
    - Substitute / Leech Seed
    Not gonna lie I know nothing about Gigantamaxing. Oh well. Use his Mega Evolution instead for the ability Thick Fat, which halves all Fire and Ice type attacks against the pokemon. You don't have many Toxic users, Protect won't really do much. With that huge HP pool you can get some juicy substitutes that will be hard to break. Replace Solar Beam with Leaf Storm, or Energy Ball if you want to play it safe. Weather Ball becomes Water-type with 100 BP in rain. Bye-bye, fire-types. Hidden Power deals with Ice and Flying types. Flying may still be a threat if not careful. Now your only worry is Psychic. Not much we can do about that on Venusaur.

What I'm doing is checking your weaknesses and building around common counters you might face.

To use this Venusaur set, you need Rain Dancers now instead of Sunny Day users.

I'd put maybe this guy somewhere on your team. Ludicolo has potential to sweep when its speed doubles after using rain dance.
    Ludicolo @ Life Orb
    Ability: Swift Swim
    EVs: 252 SpA4 SpD252 Spe
    - Rain Dance
    - Ice Beam
    - Giga Drain / Energy Ball
    - Hydro Pump

Dhelmise, Roserade, Abomasnow, Maractus, and Amoonguss, are grass-types that can learn Rain Dance. I suggest keeping rain going just to make sure fire doesn't completely destroy you.
    To build off that, Ferrothorn can learn Thunder. And Shiftry, Whimsicott, and Decidueye can learn Hurricane. Water-moves are also boosted 50% by rain, giving you the same power boost as using a STAB move.

4/5 of your weaknesses are weak to rock attacks, and some of your current team resists poison already. Cradily is an amazing counter to the standard grass-sweepers with high defenses and an abusable move pool. Look for grass-types that have counters to your weaknesses.

Just like, think about what you'd do to beat your own team. Some of those pokemon will have to go if you truly want to be a challenge, but you can be more casual if you're merely setting up a gym for your friends. I can go into more detail if you even see/respond to this but at this point I just hope someone can get something from this. xD

Last edited:
    Back