• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[News] Sony announces cross-platform support for Fortnite

Years
    • Seen today
    After many gamers were understandably upset that Playstation players could only play with other PS users, while every other user could play with each other, Sony has announced in a blog post cross-platform support for Fortnite so that players can now play with iOS/Android/Switch/Xbox/Windows/Mac players, rather than being locked in with their Epic Games account to either PS or non-PS modes.
    Following a comprehensive evaluation process, SIE has identified a path toward supporting cross-platform features for select third party content. We recognize that PS4 players have been eagerly awaiting an update, and we appreciate the community's continued patience as we have navigated through this issue to find a solution.

The first step will be an open beta beginning today for Fortnite that will allow for cross platform gameplay, progression and commerce across PlayStation 4, Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, and Mac operating systems. We see the beta as an opportunity to conduct thorough testing that ensures cross-platform play is best on PlayStation, while being mindful about the user experience from both a technical and social perspective.
    Source: https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...te-cross-play-beta-launches-on-playstation-4/

Is it about time that Sony opened their eyes and started supporting this? Is this a sign of bigger and better things to come from cross-platform support for, say, Minecraft or Rocket League? Only time will tell.

pkmin3033

This doesn't affect me at all so I can't say I honestly care, but...well, it really is about time. I have often accused Nintendo of being backwards and outdated, and they are, but even Nintendo have embraced the changing times to a degree and are willing to acknowledge the existence of other platforms and a gaming community outside of themselves.

I have seen Sony's excuses for not doing this prior to now, and it's laughable the rubbish they've come out with...almost on-par with the rubbish they came out with to justify not supporting the PS Vita with games. Their attitude to cross-platform gaming has been anti-consumer and disgustingly narrow-minded, and I'm glad that they've been forced to finally come to their senses. I don't see how it can be a sign of anything other than a more holistic approach, because how can they have one exception to the rule when their rules were apparently so iron-clad and unassailable before? They're going to have to bend or be broken.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • I'm more than just curious as to whether or not this it will be a one-time exception - as Fortnite is the game at the moment - or if their policy towards cross platform img will completely reverse. As Dawn put it, their policy ya been very, very anti-consumer so at the very least I'm happy that PlayStation users aren't being completely shafted.

Years
    • Seen today
    I'm more than just curious as to whether or not this it will be a one-time exception - as Fortnite is the game at the moment - or if their policy towards cross platform img will completely reverse. As Dawn put it, their policy ya been very, very anti-consumer so at the very least I'm happy that PlayStation users aren't being completely shafted.
    Bethesda did issue Sony an ultimatum with their new games coming up, where if they don't support cross-platform that they'd just drop Sony as a platform for their games, which would be a huge dent in their sales considering how Bethesda titles always sell well.

pkmin3033

Bethesda did issue Sony an ultimatum with their new games coming up, where if they don't support cross-platform that they'd just drop Sony as a platform for their games, which would be a huge dent in their sales considering how Bethesda titles always sell well.
    That was in relation to The Elder Scrolls Legends, I believe? Nothing particularly special - PS4 is still get Fallout 76 after all, and that won't support cross play, a far more serious ultimatum would have been to not release THAT rather than a cheap card game spinoff - but I suppose it's the thought that counts, and if it leads to more significant titles being dropped for the PS4 (and I hope it does; they need to get the message and developers are in a better position to make it have actual consequences) then all the better.

I suppose Sony could make the excuse that Fortnite is the biggest game going right now, but...well, it won't always be. It's just the current trend. I'm half expecting Minecraft to follow suit...Minecraft is, after all, extremely popular.

Back