• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Looking for advice with EV/IV training

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I was curious what those of you who have had a hand at ev/iv training think about this. I just started ev training so I'm brand new at it but I can't seem to find any information on wether it is better to put your EV's into low IV stats or if I should put them into high IV stats? I don't want to put the EV's to waste but I was thinking if I stuck them in one of my stats that has low IV maybe it would round out my pokemon's stats better?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I was curious what those of you who have had a hand at ev/iv training think about this. I just started ev training so I'm brand new at it but I can't seem to find any information on wether it is better to put your EV's into low IV stats or if I should put them into high IV stats? I don't want to put the EV's to waste but I was thinking if I stuck them in one of my stats that has low IV maybe it would round out my pokemon's stats better?
    Typically you want to invest EVs in the Pokemon's strengths, though there are exceptions (SpDef Skarmory), or ones where it's not readily apparently or there's multiple right ways to do it (Landorus-Therian). There's also the matter of tweaking EV spreads/making custom ones for certain purposes but it's best not to worry too much about that when just starting out.

As for IVs, you want those as high as possible in everything except for the one stat the Pokemon isn't going to make use of, like SpA on a physical attacker or something.

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Thanks very much :) This clears it up for me a little bit. I experimented with a tentacool I have that I sos chained and it's stats were pretty good. However it's speed was dreadful. I poured 252 EV's into speed and it didn't do much to help it's speed so I'll stick to trying to maximize the best IV stats :)

Years
  • Thanks very much :) This clears it up for me a little bit. I experimented with a tentacool I have that I sos chained and it's stats were pretty good. However it's speed was dreadful. I poured 252 EV's into speed and it didn't do much to help it's speed so I'll stick to trying to maximize the best IV stats :)

EVs and IVs scale according to level. at lvl 100 4 EVs=1 point. at lvl 50, 8 EVs= 1 point so that might explain why tentacool's speed didn't improve by much. u can't maximise a pokemon's IVs in gen 6 unless u rebreed but then again you said u sos chained it which is a gen 7 thing. just a bit confusing that you're talking about a poke u caught in gen 7 in the gen 6 forum haha.

Jehowi

Your Master Superior
    Years
  • Also if you want to have pokémon with good Iv's and best possible nature, it might be a good idea to catch a Ditto with great Iv's and give him a destiny knot in daycare (takes over 5 out of 6 IV's from the pokémon that holds it). Give everstone to the other pokémon if it has the right nature to always get the right nature.

Years
  • You have to breed to get good IV's.

Usually EV's are put into the pokemon's most benefiting stat. (Serperior would have EV's trained in speed and sp.atk, for example)

Back