• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Police brutality in the USA

Years
  • Thanks for your pitch Gimmepie. Yeah, guns definitely are a problem in USA as we speak. And again, only in USA would you ever get a gun for self-defence related purposes. There's a REASON why that's not the case everywhere else, especially europe.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Who says he was stationary? Just because you can see a figure in a dark room doesn't mean you can see them clearly enough to identify that person. Is there anything being said that she knew this person? Some of these shootings take place in seconds. It's your opinion that there was time to desescalate.

If it happened in seconds then she did not give him appropriate time to respond. She's also lying about the door. It wasn't ajar, it can't be ajar. People from the same apt. block are showing video demonstrations. The doors have a dead weight mechanism so they automatically shut if no one is holding them open.

https://www.facebook.com/518021048/posts/10156344439426049/

Other early on witnesses say they heard arguing

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...las-cops-claim-black-neighbors-door-ajar.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/botham...mber-guyger-family-attorney-disputes-account/

. This particular incident isn't police brutality.

That's highly debatable. Especially since the higher ups told the press to revoke a statement about the carpet and failed to arrest her for days. It's at the very least corruption. Which people are rightfully questioning

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...-his-home-lawyer-says/?utm_term=.4539cd10ce31

Again, most police encounters do not end with police shooting people.

Again, enough do.

Punching, slamming, threatening, kicking, using excessive pressure with body weight, swearing, insinuating harm, sexual assault, rape, unnecessary tasing, mental torture and choking all count as police brutality.

3,500 people across all of Scotland. Wow. That's a lot of criminals. Wonder how many cities in the US have that many?

Scotland has a population of five million. The US has 65 times that as a population. Adjusting the figures of population would give Scotland 227500. Not such a little figure in relative terms.

jury issue.

Societal issue.

Depends on viewpoint. No video of event. If I get told not to pull something, I'm going to stop trying to get anything out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/21/us/video-police-shooting-philando-castile-trial.html

There's enough video evidence of the lead up and aftermath. We know Castile followed the right steps, we know the cop did not give reasonable time to respond or follow the right steps.

Even those numbers ignore what the situation really was. How many of the 9,000 killed were engaged in criminal activity?

This is a gross attempt to justify shooting unarmed people lol. Criminal activity is not justification for cop to be judge, jury and executioner.

Of the 94 "unarmed" how many were suicide by cop or trying to fake out the cop so the criminal could try and get away?

We don't know because cops notoriously do not release details on it. We know the number is higher, we know that we only have some states reporting in, we know that in Baltimore the cops were planting bb guns on people they shot.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...victims-corruption-maurice-ward-a8189731.html

Do you think that unit was providing accurate reports on unarmed shootings?

Nice job on moving the goal posts. Was the officer supposed to let Brown try and kill him?

I was moving them back after you outright lied. Brown was shot after fleeing the car. He wasn't killed during the initial struggle. Wilson exited the vehicle after Brown fled and took pursuit on foot. We don't know exactly what happened, only that a wounded Brown turned around to face Wilson down the street. Wilson claims Brown, a 292 lb overweight man with a bullet wound, charged him after trying to flee. Other witnesses say Brown said don't shoot. We don't know because we don't have bodycam footage or any cctv apparently. What we do know is that Wilson opened fire 10 times into the general public.

Police calls are usually counted and published. Helps departments ask for better budgets.

That has absolutely nothing to do with Police depts neglecting to provide death by cop statistics.

The US also has a more diverse and far larger population that those countries. Makes comparisons difficult.

That's an absolute cop out. The only thing making comparisons difficult is your need to dodge the reality that America is an outlier here, not an exception.

The police have a few similar things. They certainly don't have tanks, artillery, bazookas and what not.

Neither do most units in the military.

4720-chicopdarmored%20ot64.jpg

The Police have LAVs, they're literally a step down from a tank. This is also the closest thing most infantry units will ever come to a tank or artillery. Those are specialized units. Its all well and good you claiming I cant use SWAT as an example of militarised police but you're here pretending GI Joe is running around with Call of Duty style access to tanks and Artillery.

Police did once have access to what was effectively an air strike, which they used on civilians.

https://www.ozy.com/politics-and-po...ack-activists-were-bombed-by-the-police/78743

I think it's more that the military waits for you to escalate or prove hostile than that they de escalate.

Arguably so, however they are trained to try and deescalate situations with locals.

Two of the three clearly list the location as "markets" and festivals. Completely different scenarios than the usual one or two officers in a patrol car driving around.

Your claim was the police never travel in anything above a pair, the picture disproves it.

The claim that cops travel in large groups in SWAT gear is misleading.

The Swat pictures were clearly (as signaled by the quote above them) in response to your claim that the police have no access to military styled gear. It had nothing to do with your other claim that police only ever travel alone or in pairs. Please do not try and misrepresent the points by replacing context, especially in a forum where everyone can see the prior comments.

Depending on city, location and time of day, the closest officer can be pretty far. When seconds count, police are minutes+ away.

When do seconds count? During a routine traffic stop? Or during a minor case of shoplifting?

Usually locked in the trunk.

citation required.

Whatever.

No, not whatever. If you are going to try and take that tangent then the least you could do is use remotely accurate terminology, I've let Bazooka slip despite the fact that the Bazooka was a recoilless rifle and not the term for all Rocket propelled grenades or anti tank infantry systems. What I won't have is outright misrepresentation of what equipment both parties actually use. Either shape up or ship out on this point.

I think it's more about time and money. The military pays for the range time and makes you go. The police departments don't.

Then perhaps the police should invest in training instead of LAVs and AFVs.

Law enforcement versus killing the enemy soldiers.

That's incredibly reductionist.

Non violent protesters. Right. Which protests are you watching?

Standing Rock, where the image of an army of kitted out police with batons and AFVs was taken. The same Standing Rock where a cop blew a woman's arm off with a grenade.

It doesn't say any such thing in there. It does cover proportional response and self defense. Someone throwing rocks can get a different response than someone trying to set you on fire.

I'm sorry that the military doesn't specify molotovs in their handbooks. The ROE clearly cite that Officers have discretion and should use it in context to the warzone or mission.

Some of the incidents are already violations of standards and training.

And how many go punished?

Others aren't violations and were in fact completely legal responses (Brown)

Brown is the only thing you have, I get that, but please stop pretending that opening fire into a public street was ok or in any way a legal response to an unarmed assailant who, according to some witnesses, was surrendering.

but armchair quarterbacks want completely different standards and responses.

As opposed to armchair bootlickers, who want to change the facts and pretend that Brown was the one and only case.

That doesn't contradict anything I said; were you agreeing with me?

I was adding to it because I felt it gave context to something I wanted to discuss anyway.

Last edited:
    Back