• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon and the legal system?

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
Years
Pokémon in general have a higher intelligence than normal animals and more closer to humans in e.g. their behaviour.

It makes me wonder: is there a legal system for Pokémon and how does it work?

Can Wild Pokémon be detained for crimes? Deep in the wild it may be a bit of a different case, but if we talk about Pokémon among humans near/in urban areas,
can they be ought responsible for their actions? Can they be arrested, charged and sentenced, obtaining a criminal record?

And above that, how are they detained? Poké Balls do not entirely work since they can breakout at will.
Maybe if it's sealed? Is there perhaps a special correctional facilities for Pokémon?
And since they can use attacks, doesn't that make breaking out make a lot easier in general?
How can they be tamed? (I'd imagine the P.D. train and use Growlithe/Arcanine for that.)

And what if Pokémon that belongs to a Trainer commits a crime? Do they get taken away from the Trainer?
Is the trainer responsible (since he is the owner), or the Pokémon? Will the Trainer be seen as incompetent to own Pokémon?

Too many questions I am asking now, but hey, I'd like to hear some thoughts.

Years
This is an interesting idea, I suppose it would be dealt in the same way that animals who harm people etc are dealt with, with them just being 'put down'? But then most Pokemon could just overpower the human so once again, it raises the question of why Pokemon are so submissive, oh well.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
There's also another question I like to ask about the legal system: is it considered ok for a Pokémon to marry its trainer? In the real world, that's a no-no because it's marked as bestiality, so humans aren't allowed to marry animals, furries, nor aliens. But in the Pokémon world, it stated that humans and Pokémon use to marry each other, though I'm unsure if that's still being practiced in the series' current timeline. More reasons as to why living in the Pokémon world is terrible for normal people who follow the moral laws of the real world.

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
Years
This is an interesting idea, I suppose it would be dealt in the same way that animals who harm people etc are dealt with, with them just being 'put down'? But then most Pokemon could just overpower the human so once again, it raises the question of why Pokemon are so submissive, oh well.
I guess it rather comes down to where Pokémon are standing in the social ladder. Of course Pokémon are beneath humans I suppose, but how far they are beneath is a question.

I'd say the hierarchy in their world is far more narrow than that to humans and animals in our world. And I believe that it's because Pokémon contribute a lot more to society than animals do.
We see them do things animals do as well (police dogs, carriage), but unlike animals, some actually are able to work on construction sites, power plants, etc. and I do not feel they are being manipulated into it as well.
Their roles are so much more significant.

In that sense, I do believe when Pokémon go intensely rogue they aren't necessarily being treated as animals either,
where -if they're considered too dangerous/aggressive- they just stick a needle in their body and inject them with something that shuts down their entire system.
This is where Pokémon can also be used for - psychic abilities which can make sure Pokémon with a very aggressive temper can be tranquilized.
And so there probably are several methods (which includes the co-operation of Pokémon and humans) to try and get them back into society.

Even so I do think there may be some sort of capital punishment that can be applied if a Pokémon is considered so dangerous it cannot return normally to society due to the damage it has caused.

SirDolan

Relicanth ❤
Years
When Pokémon was being created, these kinds of questions probably weren't asked. Or if they were, the answers weren't given a great deal of thought. Which makes it super fun and interesting to do so now.

I'm not so sure on the whole arrest and detain front. It's true pokémon have higher intelligence than normal animals, and are possibly self-aware as well, but I don't think a wild pokémon causing trouble would be arrested. If worst comes to worst, the pokémon might end up being moved to a more uninhabited area away from humans if it caused too much trouble.

I read an interesting theory on how most pokémon are easily tamed when caught. It said something along the lines of when a wild pokémon is caught in a poké ball, the capsule causes a chemical change in the pokémon's brain, making them more mellow and easy for the trainer to handle. I wish I had the source for the theory, but I read it ages ago ;_;

But like Luna said, most pokémon can easily overpower humans and other pokémon. I don't think they'd take the, "You're going to be put down," news very well without putting up a helluva fight.

Back